Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Panama Proof Set (9 Coin), 1983 Franklin Mint Spanish Language! Packaging,

Last year I bought an interesting variant on eBay: a 1983 FM 9 Coin Proof Set with Set Packaging and description in Spanish.

I have included pictures in case anyone is interested. Has anyone ever seen such a variant? I have seen the gold individual coins, especially the much scarcer early 80s uncirculated specimens packaged in Spanish, but not the set.

Also, in Krause the 1984 FM proof sets are listed as made in 8 coin and 9 coin format. The latter are fairly scarce to rare, the former I have never seen. Has anybody else seen the 1984 8 coin set?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect it was originally sent to a Spanish speaking country. The 1983 set is fairly tough if I recall correctly- perhaps around 1000 sets or so that were issued? I don't think I have the 1983 set.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Cool! The coins appear to be in excellent condition as well. A rarity in itself since many sets of that era have haze or spotting. This is the first I've seen of Spanish language packaging for these.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I suspect it may have been from Panama itself through the Central Bank, but I have also gotten a few from Spain, including a matte 1976 100 Balboas which was a special issue as well. The gold coins mentioned were evidently sent to the Central Bank, so possibly/probably this set also.
    As a footnote, I think the scarcest of the Panama FM sets in terms of availability is the 1984, then the 1983, the 1985 and finally the 1982 with the 9 coin sets listed as total of 746 for "error" and normal (I think despite what has been written elsewhere that they are of about equal rarity).

It is a bit hard to reconstruct what was going on with the FM after their 1980 sale, because the records after 1981 seem to be a bit sketchy.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked my sets 1976-82 and no Spanish inserts. I don't have an 83 set

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, try for the last three years...

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3