Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1976 2 dollar bills with stamps on them from 1976 good condition any opinions? I don't really know w

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth $2 each. Spend them.

• dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not spending em. I think there cool lol I figured out what they are though

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 7:02PM

The postage stamp was ink stamp cancelled at the Post Office on the first day the $2 notes were officially issued, April 13th 1976. These are collectible and are generally worth $5 - $15 depending on the condition, state, town, and boldness of the stamp. Star notes that were stamp cancelled can bring $15 - $30+. I collect these on a few different states and they are a lot of fun!

The last $2 note you posted is a spender, but hey it's only two bucks ...keep it too if you like it :)

@Tookybandit said:
    The postage stamp was ink stamp cancelled at the Post Office on the first day the $2 notes were officially issued, April 13th 1976. These are collectible and are generally worth $5 - $15 depending on the condition, state, town, and boldness of the stamp. Star notes that were stamp cancelled can bring $15 - $30+. I collect these on a few different states and they are a lot of fun!

The last $2 note you posted is a spender, but hey it's only two bucks ...keep it too if you like it :)

Thanks for the information man it's really helpful I'm just now starting to get into currency collecting like bills and whatnot and I think the stamp as Washington is that more of a collectible stamp or is it more common on it

Nah, usually the stamp variety won't make much of a difference. The town name is usually what makes them special. None are worth big bucks and it's a very thin market, but they are still a ton o' fun. I will try to post pics of a few sometime this weekend.

@Tookybandit said:
    Nah, usually the stamp variety won't make much of a difference. The town name is usually what makes them special. None are worth big bucks and it's a very thin market, but they are still a ton o' fun. I will try to post pics of a few sometime this weekend.

Okay cool man I appreciate it

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep um !!! :)

Timbuk3

@Timbuk3 said:
    Keep um !!! :)

Already put protectors in them

edited October 28, 2017 5:09AM

Something I forgot to mention, people had to bring these notes into the post office and stand in line to have them stamped. On really small towns, chances are there are not very many floating around.

On the type of stamp, I guess I fibbed a little. This stamp, being numismatically themed, definitely adds a premium. This $2 is stamped on the Fourth of July, still cool but it would be even better as an April 13th '76 stamp.

Here's another cool one. Los Alamos, NM birthplace of the atomic bomb.

@Tookybandit said:
    Something I forgot to mention, people had to bring these notes into the post office and stand in line to have them stamped. On really small towns, chances are there are not very many floating around.

On the type of stamp, I guess I fibbed a little. This stamp, being numismatically themed, definitely adds a premium. This $2 is stamped on the Fourth of July, still cool but it would be even better as an April 13th '76 stamp.

Here's another cool one. Los Alamos, NM birthplace of the atomic bomb.

That's pretty cool but I think my stamps are just from Washington I'm not sure it's hard to make out with there from

Google the zip code on your notes.

@Tookybandit said:

Okay I'll do that real quick

@Dagingerbeasttt said:

@Tookybandit said:

Okay I'll do that real quick

I should have figured they are from my hometown since they came straight from the bank it's my ZIP code for Greenwood Indiana and part of New Whiteland Indiana which are really small towns especially New Whiteland LOL

Very cool!! :)

• newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Very Nice Note, I have read the release of these notes were well publicized and people were lined up around the country at USPS on the day of release. With so many that bought and saved them does not make them pricey today. Another interesting part of bicentennial history to study and collect.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have the $2's my mother got at the bank that day and then took to the post office and waited in line to have them postmarked.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@SaorAlba said:
    I still have the $2's my mother got at the bank that day and then took to the post office and waited in line to have them postmarked.

I think they're pretty neat

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

The stamps to get are the Bicentennial State stamps - I have a whole run of all 50 in order on First Day Cancellation, very cool!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tookybandit said:

Good luck, I've never managed to sell one for $5.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

That's mostly because stamp collecting has diminished

On the majority of examples, the physical postage stamps means nothing. It's the town-zip code, and first day of $2 FRN issue that give these notes something special.

@Tookybandit said:
    On the majority of examples, the physical postage stamps means nothing. It's the town-zip code, and first day of $2 FRN issue that give these notes something special.

There from my little town lol

@Dagingerbeasttt said:

@Tookybandit said:

There from my little town lol

Exactly! Then they're special :)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 3:33PM

I have one I got in my hometown on that day,. You had to go to the bank and get the $2 bill, and then go to the Post Office and get it postmarked. It was sort of a big deal back then, with the reissuance of the $2 bill. "They" (not sure who - the BEP, the numismatic press?) were really pushing it. Hard to believe that it had only been out of circulation for 10 years or a little more before they brought it back.