Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's ever seen a matte proof Standing Liberty? Here's one in an ANACS holder.

13»

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen well struck 1917 philly type 1s with subdued luster. Probably more of a sign of how it was stored. The reverse luster appears better than the obverse, perhaps it has been polished some to repair some clashing.

Here is another well struck 1917. The rims are even sharp.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 11:54AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Quick question: If I don't like the coin or think it is mislabeled when it arrives, can't I just send it to ANACS for a refund of the price differential? Doesn't that make buying it kind of risk-free? I know there's some issue over dates given that the only guarantee is of coins slabbed since 2008, so is it only gold labels that get the guarantee.]

[Although the seller gave me 14 day return privileges. If I can get it before Baltimore, maybe I can get someone to walk it through.]

Mechanical error means it has no guarantee, and I have never heard Anacs paying out on a big error. Unless a major dealer endorses its proof status, you have a business strike which makes it worth around $500 max if it graded as a 64 FH.

• Options

Anacs chimed in on page 2 and verified it as a label error.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Quick question: If I don't like the coin or think it is mislabeled when it arrives, can't I just send it to ANACS for a refund of the price differential? Doesn't that make buying it kind of risk-free? I know there's some issue over dates given that the only guarantee is of coins slabbed since 2008, so is it only gold labels that get the guarantee.]

[Although the seller gave me 14 day return privileges. If I can get it before Baltimore, maybe I can get someone to walk it through.]

Mechanical error means it has no guarantee, and I have never heard Anacs paying out on a big error. Unless a major dealer endorses it's proof status, you have a business strike which makes it worth around $500 max if it graded as a 64 FH.

I have a Greysheet.

I also have a coin in an ANACS Proof 63 holder. :smile: Well, not yet. It hasn't arrived.

Time will tell, once I get it in hand.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    Anacs chimed in on page 2 and verified it as a label error.

Yes, but who really trusts them. LOL. They are the same ones who put the label on it.

And pardon my cynicism, but 10 years later they've identified a "mechanical error" without looking at the coin. In that same note they say that the "ANACS record has been corrected to show MS". Really? So, if it's a "mechanical error" why didn't your records always show MS? Is there finishing paperwork showing MS? If there is not, then how do they know it's an error without re-examining the coin? If there is finishing paperwork showing MS how did it get into the database as a proof?

ANACS, feel free to contact me for further discussion. I would be interested in seeing any paperwork you have on this coin.

• Options

it's probably easy for them to verify since none were produced.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2017 11:11AM

@clarkbar04 said:
    it's probably easy for them to verify since none were produced.

That position is slightly more controversial than your simple statement suggests.

https://www.thespruce.com/the-standing-liberty-quarter-specifications-4096404

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf

Hey, welcome to CU on your ten+ week anniversary. I agree with you. I think you should pay a lawyer to sue ANACS for a label error! Please keep us informed!

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @jmlanzaf

Hey, welcome to CU on your ten+ week anniversary. I agree with you. I think you should pay a lawyer to sue ANACS for a label error! Please keep us informed!

Ha-ha. I'd rather not pay a lawyer. I'd also rather that if ANACS is going to do anything they need to either stand behind their label or shut up. They can't have it both ways.

I paid next to nothing for this coin, so it's no big deal. Maybe I'll throw it up on eBay to see what ANACS does.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful. It can be dangerous to tickle a sleeping tiger with deep pockets. AFAIK, you are still "innocent" of any possible wrong doing. You may come out way ahead by asking ANACS to check the coin and change its method of manufacture if it is not a proof. PLUS, ask them to give you X number of free submissions for removing (if it is not Proof) it from the market. :wink:

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Be careful. It can be dangerous to tickle a sleeping tiger with deep pockets. AFAIK, you are still "innocent" of any possible wrong doing. You may come out way ahead by asking ANACS to check the coin and change its method of manufacture if it is not a proof. PLUS, ask them to give you X number of free submissions for removing (if it is not Proof) it from the market. :wink:

The coin is what it is. No one has done anything wrong. I'll settle for ms63FH PL.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 12:04PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Or you could overnight to a couple grading services and then do walkthroughs. Baltimore is a little late this year. If you live within driving distance of a major numismatist that is another option.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

I'm not trusting ANACS to do anything just yet since they seem to have any opinion on a coin they haven't seen. While it COULD be a mechanical error (proof please?), it could also represent a legitimate grading opinion at the time.

Obviously, I need to see the coin in hand> @logger7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Or you could overnight to a couple grading services and then do walkthroughs. Baltimore is a little late this year. If you live within driving distance of a major numismatist that is another option.

I've got a guy who can walk through Baltimore.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file