Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Augsburg Confession Medal

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 12, 2017 1:07PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

1830 Augsburg. "Augsburg Confession" Medal by Loos and Pfeuffer, Whiting-659. Beautifully toned, this medal was issued to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Augsburg Confession.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice medal.

Of course, we are only 19 days from the 500th Anniversary of the traditional date of 31 October 1517 when Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses (considered the start of the Protestant Reformation).

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Spectacular detail. I really like that piece. Similar to the sede vacante theme, one could build an excellent collection based only on coins commemorating the reformation. There are some amazing designs on the commemorative issues.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I have admired this design many times on NEN's website. Not mine but posting it in the spirit of the theme.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Protestant Reformation indeed is a fascinating topic for medals. The 500th Anniversary prompted me to bid on a few, in a recent auction in Cologne. I did win two; one for me, one as a gift. Once I receive them, I will decide which one I will keep.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second piece reminds me of an old couplet:

'The truth lay hidden in the night;
    Luther came and all was light.'

I don't remember where - in Roland Bainton's biography of Luther? Good chance.

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Great pieces!

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Great piece and awesome toning!

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    The Protestant Reformation indeed is a fascinating topic for medals. The 500th Anniversary prompted me to bid on a few, in a recent auction in Cologne. I did win two; one for me, one as a gift. Once I receive them, I will decide which one I will keep.

We're anxiously awaiting to see them.

Paul