Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just pulled this. Just A few years too late. No redemption

Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Registry Sets:
T222's PSA 1 or better

Comments

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Can we assume this card is still with Topps then and not on the open market?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2017 8:47AM

What would that have been worth in 2010 10k+ ?

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2017 8:51AM

@addicted2ebay said:
    What would that have been worth in 2010 10k+ ?

I am trying not to think about it but probably in that range.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

contact topps...you never know...

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

+1

Mike
  • Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Ouch... Hope they do something for you...

• I would at least contact Topps. You never know. They may accommodate you somehow.

@Stone193 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

+1

Correct. Crazy thing, just last week I received a redemption from Topps....from a 2011 world series relic redemption card my son and I turned in 6 years ago. Couldn't believe it. My son is 13 now, but 7 years old when we turned it in.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should really do away with those redemption cards. Just put the prize in the pack.

Daniel
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

In theory.... They should still have that card. I bet if this gets enough publicity, and IF they still have that card (as they should) they will take care of it. It's a 1/1 major card back in the day.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball

Just pulled this off of Beckett. This card has been graded already. Interesting that it was graded November 7th, 2013 and the redemption expired on 9/30/2013

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Call me completely dense, but how has the card been graded if you just pulled the redemption? Out the backdoor?

• OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I would pay $200 for that card right now no matter the situation. If interested ? Am a true believer in Strasburg getting back to 2010 notoriety.

I have had a few offers and the card is not for sale until I figure out what the deal is with it.

It seems the card exists in some form in a bgs holder. I am calling topps tomorrow and will try and get an explanation.

I always assumed they were destroyed if no one claimed them.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Good luck and congrats. That one would have been a glorious hit for me, even if 5 years late. Topps, I am sure will make things right on that one for you.

Please continue to follow up with us. I'd like to see what Topps says in writing. The whole storey does not reflect well for Topps though.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

Hate to say it, but you are completely out of luck. Topps will not honor it and they won't even give you a sympathy box since it was a huge hit. Someone hit the Freddie Freeman Super a few months back and Topps repeated answer at all levels was "Sorry. No.". As for the cards to expired redemptions they are used to fill other redemptions that can't be fulfilled or to replace rare damaged cards and such. It is essentially unclaimed property that becomes Topps when not claimed before the redemption expires. Topps has done some other shady stuff like grading all of the black wave Kris Bryant Chrome autos to increase the value of them when using them as replacements. They were unreleased and the whole print run is sequential serial numbers in the BGS database. If someone offers you some cash for the expired redemption I would consider taking it. It would probably bring a couple hundred on eBay as a novelty item because it was so hot in 2010. If I pulled it I would almost consider getting it framed up or something. That had to be crushing to pull that.

This is pretty much what Topps told me this morning.

1) The redemption is no longer valid
    2) It is possible that the card was issued as a replacement

I provided them a scan of the card and a screenshot of the BGS report and noted the dates of expiration and grading
    They have opened a "case" and will respond. I asked for an explanation of how this may have occurred. They seemed to think it was possible they would have record of what happened to the card, but I seriously doubt it,

I cannot say I expect much of a response and they really do not owe me one, considering the redemption expired.

In the end I have a really good story and a cool piece of hobby history. I am going to see if PSA will slab it and I will keep it.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better

I am not advocating you do this, but some dude sued upper deck for expired redemptions....and won. Just saying...

http://www.beckett.com/news/upper-deck-loses-court-case-over-redemption-cards/

Also, there are lessons learned in customer service. See the story about United when they broke a guy's guitar...he made a youtube video about it (http://sentium.com/a-public-relations-disaster-how-saving-1200-cost-united-airlines-10772839-negative-views-on-youtube/)...good companies know when to make things right to avoid a bigger controversy down the road. I am not directing you to threaten Topps like this, but talking to a senior rep there may get the point across.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure I remember the Strasburg superfractor being for sale on ebay several years ago.
    I don't remember if it was graded at that time or not. Seems like it was a buy it now for 10k
    or close to that.
    Anyone else remember that?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Topps just responded that atleast 3 different auto superfractors variations exist of Strasburg from that year. Now I am totally confused.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • I'm sorry for your luck. This is basically my worst nightmare when opening older stuff with redemptions. I have a few questions if you'd care to oblige. What product did you get this out of, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, etc? And did you just buy a loose box somewhere, or didn't you buy a case from Blowout or something? Please tell me this wasn't in your closet for years and you just decided to open!

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man wouldn't it be nice to attend the Topps Christmas party! They sure do give out some nice cards once the redemption period has expired.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

@Beck6 said:
    Topps just responded that atleast 3 different auto superfractors variations exist of Strasburg from that year. Now I am totally confused.

This is one of the main challenges of collecting modern. Way too many variations of the exact same card, some #'d to 1000, 500, etc. all the way down to 1/1 for a gold chrome superfractor, etc.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball

@mcpheely said:
    I'm sorry for your luck. This is basically my worst nightmare when opening older stuff with redemptions. I have a few questions if you'd care to oblige. What product did you get this out of, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, etc? And did you just buy a loose box somewhere, or didn't you buy a case from Blowout or something? Please tell me this wasn't in your closet for years and you just decided to open!

I bought two boxes off of ebay of 2010 bowman chrome hobby. I was going to keep one sealed and start a run of bowman chrome, but after the first box yielded nothing I decided to open the second one, which had the redemption.

Certainly stopped me from considering doing a bowman chrome unopened run.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Stuff like this will hurt the price of boxes like this in the long run. At least for me. I bought a 2008 Chrome box a few years ago and pulled a decent redemption hit. Of course it had expired so I got nothing. Even after a few calls to Topps. Really wish someone would take them to court over this stuff and make them do the right thing. If nothing else they could throw you a bone and send you a decent card or a box to break. It would go a long way to help the image of Topps as a company in my opinion.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious, why have an expiration date on redemptions in the first place? Wouldn't it benefit everyone for Topps to just hold all redemption cards until they are redeemed? It seems to me it would save Topps from a lot of headaches and upset customers.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

To encourage consumers to open as much recent product as possible (to avoid something like this) is my guess.

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

There has to be a deadline of some sort. If there were redemption cards in 1952, I wouldn't expect Topps to have to hold on to their inventory for 65 years. Hence, the deadline.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • @orioles93 said:
    Just curious, why have an expiration date on redemptions in the first place? Wouldn't it benefit everyone for Topps to just hold all redemption cards until they are redeemed? It seems to me it would save Topps from a lot of headaches and upset customers.

I know at an industry summit 5 or 6 years ago, Upper Deck said storage space was an issue. They should at least keep all cards numbered 25 or less, or 5 or less.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep calling them back for further clarification.

Then ask for some kind of "equivalent" compensation from something that went unclaimed and past redemption date most recently.

Who knows?

Ya might wind up with another prize?

Sorry to hear about the outcome.

Mike
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

@Beck6 said:

If I'm not mistaken, each year they release bowman with chrome cards, then bowman chrome, then bowman draft which has chrome cards as well.
    All cards have different poses but the borders are the same. Hope this helps

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 9:13AM

Saw this in my Facebook news feed a minute ago.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the pull!!!

Bummer, that it is a few year too late :(

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • I recently pulled one of those "redemption" cards from 2013 Topps Archives where you could only redeem it at "participating card shops" on some date in the summer of 2013.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

May be the press will lead topps to make the situation right

• patrick182patrick182 Posts: 3
    edited October 12, 2017 2:01PM

I've published a piece on this as well. In the article, I discuss the three different signed 2010 Bowman Chrome Stephen Strasburg cards that could be found as Superfractors. Link to article: https://goo.gl/dhwAfY

writer @ radicards.com

Frank Thomas collector
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I have to ask - who would pay $200 for an expired redemption?

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lahmejoon said:
    I have to ask - who would pay $200 for an expired redemption?

@OddRodz said:
    I would pay $200 for that card right now no matter the situation. If interested ? Am a true believer in Strasburg getting back to 2010 notoriety.

This guy ^