Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Topps Baseball

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had pretty much moved on from baseball cards after the 1980 season. I bought nothing in 1981. Then, for my birthday in 1982, my uncle (who worked in a candy store in Brooklyn) bought me two wax boxes of 1982 Topps baseball. It kind of rekindled my interest briefly, and I loved the design of that set compared to surrounding years.

I ripped both boxes and they sat in a closet for 35 years. I'm finally going through them and plan to put together a really nice raw NM/M set with PSA 9 stars. After going through the first 50 numbers, I think I'll end up with around 40% of the set in really nice shape from the cards I already have. Maybe I can rip some more wax and racks since they're still affordable. I'm looking forward to working on this set even though it doesn't have much value.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 3, 2018 2:05PM
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2018 2:06PM
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

1982 is an underrated set from the 1980's in terms of design.

I wish there were better rookie cards.

• Options

I'm lucky, for some reason I can appreciate Rich Dauer or Greg Harris as much as Tom Seaver...as long as it's in really nice shape.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

The Henderson card is one of my favorites from this set!!

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

@Stingray said:
    The Henderson card is one of my favorites from this set!!

I second that and I am sure Rickey would third that... in the third person! (Its actually one of my all time favorite cards)

Matt

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

There was always something about this design that reminded me of one of the 70s movies that was set in the future, like Rollerball.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Could not agree more about the 82 Henderson. What a fantastic photo Rickey!

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Not mine, however always liked this one as well as the 82

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Rickey thanks you for your kind words. Rickey likes to run. Run, Rickey, run.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to do a raw set Dave.

I've opened quite a few vending - have to deal with the OCs tho.

Right now I'm working on an 83F set - I opened 2 boxes that I picked up for this purpose.

I was surprised how many OCs and rough cuts I encountered. The collation was interesting - no dupes in either box. So I'm hoping each box is different. We'll see.

On the value? It's in the fun buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Just went through another 100 of these. My initial estimate of having 40% of the set in primo shape was way high, it’s turning out to be more like 15% (up through #575). But it’s still fun discovering those rare gems!

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

That Morris definitely has the proper centering....90% of the cards from 1982 do not...

• Options
    edited September 3, 2018 4:54PM

I lucked out on this one too...

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

My eye really likes that Seaver In Action. T/R similar centering and B/L similar in centering. For whatever reason I really like how it looks.
    82's are a great set!

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Dave, I still remember your help in sending me some 82s for my raw set 5 or 6 years ago. It is great to see you are still having fun with them.

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Love the idea of a raw 82 Topps set. This was the first series I can remember opening packs of as a young boy.

Been looking for an Eddie Murray PSA 10 from this series for what feels like an eternity.....Probstein finally put one up about 2 weeks ago, but w a starting bid of 300 bucks. Decided to pass as I thought that was moon money. Lo and behold, someone snatched it up at the buzzer for 300.

Been second guessing myself ever since!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.