Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How much do rookie cards increase in value when a player goes to the HOF?

Been out of collecting for years. Just curious how much cards in the past have rookie cards increased once the player made it in the hall of fame? Does it depend on which brand card it is? Popularity? Player?

myslabs.to/smzcards

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 3:27PM

Little to none, if they're likely to be inducted it's already priced in within a year or two prior to the vote.

ETA: They are much easier to sell immediately after the official vote, however.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I think Tim Raines saw a nice bump after the vote because it wasn't a sure thing. You'll see a little bump on players that are a sure thing. More buyers mostly cancelled out by more sellers.

• GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

From what I've seen, prices start to creep up about 1-2 years before the vote. I bought a PSA 10 Upper Deck Griffey either in 2013 or 2014 for $240. When he got elected in 2016 it was up to around $425 and now it looks like it has settled in around the $400 mark.

That's really the only one I followed closely. And you could argue that he is one of the most collected guys that has been elected recently so his prices aren't the norm. I did look at Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Randy Johnson, etc...and their prices didn't see the same spike, but did see a bump in value from the previous year(s) before they got elected.

I think the "bump" in value happens leading up to and during the actual vote, not during the ceremony many months later.

If I had to speculate, I would say that Chipper Jones will see a bump as we approach his potential induction vote, mainly looking at his Desert Shield Topps card. And now is probably the time to start to look at grabbing Derek Jeter's cards (especially his 93 SP) if you want to grab some before his inevitably creep higher in price as we march toward 2020 for his vote.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea just picked up an SP Jeter in a 7 until I can afford an 8 and also looking to get a gem mint 10 stadium club Murphy soon too.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it is a rookie, but a cool HOFer that came out almost 100 years after.
    In 1995 T206 commons were like 20.00 and Vic Willis got into the hall that year. Instantly went to 200.00 in the guide the next year.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Bruce Sutter's 1977 Topps comes to mind as a rookie card that got a nice bump when he was elected. He was kind of a surprising inductee and his cards, to my recollection, never had a real following.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

I would think it helps a bit, mainly with the help of the PSA set registry and whatever card they consider to be the best for their registry.

Looking ahead to 2018, I would think Vladimir Gurrerro, Trevor Hoffman , Chipper Jones , and Jim Thome would be the locks.

Pretty sure the 1992 Bowman for Trevor Hoffman as the card added, but not sure about the other 3. Maybe it's the Desert Shield 1991 Topps for Chipper?

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • @dictoresno said:
    Been out of collecting for years. Just curious how much cards in the past have rookie cards increased once the player made it in the hall of fame? Does it depend on which brand card it is? Popularity? Player?

On average, a 17% bump from retirement until 4 years later. Then in years 4 to 5, it flatlines or recedes 3-5%. This is for baseball only for 2000-2017 inductees.

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Unless they retire on the level of Jordan or Jeter, the players rookie card will probably remain affordable to most.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

temporary bump. Same with milestones. Adrian Beltre's card spiked in the months prior to his 3,000th hit but has since started the decent. Certain rookie cards that were $20-$30 are now going for $10. His Bowman Chrome was in the $40+ range and now dropped to the $25 range.