Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Where do I sell a 50 piece early comm set

I have a complete type set of commemorative half dollars all PCGS ms63 to ms67. I am in Maine and it is not easy to sell anything like that here. What do you suggest? I hate to have to mail it somewhere.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you assembled the set yourself then I would imagine that you know where you purchased the individual coins from and that would be an excellent start. However, your post appears to want to dispose of the set locally instead of using the internet, so that might not help.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• How do you suggest I put this set on the internet? They are all beautiful coins almost all of them are white, no cleaned coins. I assembled this set myself.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eddiego said:
    How do you suggest I put this set on the internet? They are all beautiful coins almost all of them are white, no cleaned coins. I assembled this set myself.

You can do it yourself on eBay, send the coins to Great Collections, Heritage, or try the BST.

• If they go for $20,000 how much will Ebay & paypal take?

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay sellers fee is 10% and PayPal is about 3% so roughly $2600.

Great Collections is cheaper they have a listing/Photograph fee of between $3 and $10 per coin depending on your starting bid 5% commission for coins under $1000 and no fee if it sells over $1000.

I had another thought depending on where you live in Maine you could take the coins to Littleton, in New Hampshire not to bad a drive if you live near Sanford.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, I tell folks that the more work they are willing to put into selling their collection, the more they will receive in the end. Good luck.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gerry Fortin is located in Maine and is a very trusted coin dealer that takes on a lot of consignments. Maybe give him a call and see if you can work something out.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could take it to a show and shop it around as many dealers will buy complete sets.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just did put them on the Internet. :)

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops, didn't realize I was in the registry forum. Scary over here. Heh

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2017 10:02PM

@djm said:
    eBay sellers fee is 10% and PayPal is about 3% so roughly $2600.

Not quite. Running on online ebay fee calculator, and not having a store nor TRS discount (ie...just your average seller who doesn't sell much), the fee calculator comes out at ~$754 (and having chosen most of the listing options and putting in a $30 shipping fee).

There is a cap on the actual dollar amount they screw you for. It just keeps going up and up with them.

Edit....create a store, even just for the purpose of listing/selling the set at $20,000, and the fees (minus the store cost), go down to $254!!!
    Save $500 by creating a cheap store......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment