Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Silly Attempt

No one is probably gonna care about this, but I've been trying to collect as many of the 2017 Finest Tyler Naquin Green Refractor #/99 auto cards. I have 18 in my possession and one on the way.

Has anyone ever attempted this and do I have a chance at coming close to completion someday? He's back in the minors so I can find these pretty cheap but I've been buying up all the Naquin box/case breaks on eBay and such for $8-10 a piece. And looking on sportlots.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good to me Geoff.

Reminds me of way back in 04-5 - there was a member named Beachbum who was trying to corner the market on "numbered" Cole Hamel cards - don't remember which brand.

Best of luck.

Mike
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be easier to corner the market on 1 of 1's. :) I felt fortunate to pull a 1 of 1 2007 Topps auto. of Prince Fielder. Good luck with your quest.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2017 2:05AM

There is 1 on COMC.COM right now for $10.25 Use the make an offer feature and maybe get it a bit cheaper....
    https://comc.com/Cards/Baseball/2017/Topps_Finest_-Autographs-_Green_Refractor/FA-TN/Tyler_Naquin/12334816

• Options

Thanks!! Bought it.

• Options
    Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭

I'm have a similar affliction in that I collect Charlie Frye RC cards (Browns 2005 RC QB). Started heavy in 05-06 and while the buying has slowed I still pick stuff up even though he is long gone from the league. I started tracking print runs and while the only 100% run has been the 1/1's there are 45 of his auto cards I have 10% or more of the run and 19 of them with 20% or more. The most I have is his SPx auto jersey which I'm at 144 of the possible 1275 so a long way to go! My favorite is his Exquisite auto at 40/199.

It's a bit of a sickness but a fun and (now) cheap endeavor so I say go for it! Especially with a guy like Naquin who had the best in-the-park HR celebration in the history of BB!

• Options

Holy cow @Charlie9 that is incredible! 144! I'm glad to see another like-minded collector. Awesome.

Charlie was a cool dude.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geoff, that is awesome!!! :+1::+1:

Use this thread to keep us updated when you make a new pickup.

Good luck.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Agreed,, keep going after the 99. Totally cool thing to always have in the background to pursue.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I've never attempted to corner the market on a print run that large, but I do have a large collection of Frank Thomas jersey serial numbered cards, so anything numbered 35. For about $20 I was able to secure 01/99, 35/99, and 99/99 of the same card, just to say I had done it. Included is the Gold Rainbow exclusive to the Asian market 35/60.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 1:12PM

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like if someone is doing something like this - any "project" that one is enjoying is worth while IMO.

I've been collecting 1950s PEP Babe Ruth rings - different color variations based on the ring and the insert.

Some would call this nuts? I'm sure.

Mike
  • Options

Yay! We are all enjoying the hobby in our own little way.

• Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭

I once failed to corner the market on 1989 Hensley Meulens cards. I enjoyed trying and would likely be quite wealthy if I persevered.

I'm a Naquin fan. I went to an Indianapolis Indians/Columbus Clippers game last year and Naquin ran a hundred yards or so to hand my daughter a ball after warm-ups. Made her day.

• Options
    ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭

Not exactly trying to corner the market on these, but am trying to collect one for each hit he had (3,154). Picked these up yesterday from the Beverly Hills Baseball Card shop in CA.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Zilla, that's a lot of Brett rookie cards! Good luck.
    My goal is 20 psa graded Brett rookies, I'm over halfway with most being PSA 7 and 8.

You should put up scans of some of your cards on your 75 registry set sometime.
    You have one of the highest ranked sets on the registry, would love looking at the
    star cards and low pop commons.

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

This is all great stuff. The Ruth rings are incredible. Almost hard to believe they survived.

There is a collector I believe used to/still does post here who had a incredible percentage of the 1993 Finest Refractors. I recall him having at least half the run for many of the cards.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zilla, how far along on are you for this quest of a Brett rookie for every hit. That is an incredible project. Good luck with it.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Wow Zilla, that's a lot of Brett rookie cards! Good luck.
    My goal is 20 psa graded Brett rookies, I'm over halfway with most being PSA 7 and 8.

You should put up scans of some of your cards on your 75 registry set sometime.
    You have one of the highest ranked sets on the registry, would love looking at the
    star cards and low pop commons.

Thanks Darin. I actually moved to Macau for work about two years ago and just haven't had time to scan all the cards for my 75 sets as they are still in the US. Im home now but just for a couple of weeks so I probably wont have time to get them uploaded. Someday though I get them up. Good luck with your goal as well.

Alan

• Options

@JBrules said:
    Zilla, how far along on are you for this quest of a Brett rookie for every hit. That is an incredible project. Good luck with it.

I think Im little under halfway there, although I have actually taken a true count in a few years. I just got back to the US and will try to post all the new cards I bought since the last time I was home in January. Thanks.

Alan

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

From my stand point that's cool if your having fun with it go get them,

• Options

I'm up to 24 of these 99.