Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

PCGS Currency

So I just joined PCGS because I wanted to submit some coins for a consignor. I (actually he paid for it) bought the Platinum package and I just sent in my free 8 coins this week.

I have a bunch of currency that I own and I'd like to get graded, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, but does PCGS still do currency and is there anything different or special that I need to do or know about before I send in some currency to get graded?

I know it's going to cost money per note, plus the handling, plus shipping to and from, I've got all that accounted for. But is there anything else that I need to know, join, subscribe to, do differently, etc?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 1:58AM

www.pcgscurrency.com

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 7:44AM

With PCGS Currency it is different than PCGS coins because you must pay in full BEFORE PCGS consider grading your currency. This is important because your wait times on Currency are far greater than PCGS Coins and since PCGS Currency already have your payment, there is no motivation to adhere to any schedules.

For example: I purchased a Platinum Currency membership January 4th, Didn't get my packet until almost March, sent my 15 notes in and did not receive them back until May 2nd. Keep in mind that this is their regular service.

JUST TO BE CLEAR:
    Signing up for Collectors club on Jan 4th was not enough time with PCGS delays to get my currency back for the April 21st Registry cutoff date.

Part of the delay is a silly 6+ weeks to get the PCGS Currency collector's Club Membership packet to you and you can't submit without the voucher in it. Paperwork that could have been emailed but PCGS insist on snail mailing hard copy print outs which causes that 6 week delay.
    smh

Collector here, The Rock, only uses PMG, for their far better service.
    Perhaps consider them

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Just to be clear, Collector Club "free" submissions referenced above that come with your membership (works out to about $12 or less per note which is bargain basement) are processed faster than monthly specials, and perhaps economy, but certainly slower than Regular level submissions (contrary to what "synchr" stated ). Read the website and submission form.

Carping about it seems slightly disingenuous. If you want faster service, submit at Regular or faster levels - which costs more.

Personally, if I'm in a hurry, Show Economy Service - (Submit at the start of a Show and pick it up by the end of the Show) at the same price of Regular Service is a bargain in my mind and there is no mailing or postage charges.

While there is nothing wrong with having PMG grade notes, in many collectors and dealers opinions, their grading is less consistent than PCGS. And, contrary to the implication, PMG makes you pay up front as well, so I'm not sure what synchr complaint is about that. But, to each their own...

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

This is most tiresome. More than that, it is not healthy for the hobby. What image does it present to lurkers who may be considering whether they should take the plunge?

Gnat is right; understand what the rules associated with each submission class are before you submit notes. Also, realize that grading involves time from multiple experts who move notes around and take time doing the job right. These experts have lives, full time jobs, and during many seasons, vacations and/or shows to prepare for. Also, if there are different types of notes in the submission that further complicates matters. For example, the major services don't rely on the same graders for error notes, foreign notes, and large sized US. So mixing them in a submission can slow turnaround time.

Bottom line? Whether you use PMG or PCGS, if you don't get the notes when you expect them call their office and ask for an update. You'll get help, and a positive attitude just may speed things along.

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

delistamps:

I agree. That is why, according to the check in post, we've only got 48 people who look at this board, and 60-something on the other.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
    edited July 23, 2017 7:53AM

Bashing?
    I'm just just helping the OP by stating facts from my direct experience with PCGS and that is what this forum is for, sharing these in a polite discussion (just as several of us did at a recent major currency show). As in any civilized discussion, I am presenting facts as I see them and I understand if you don't agree.

If you want to address these issues directly, please feel free:

1) PCGS requires you to be a Collector Club member and they ONLY send the Club packet by snail mail. In my case this took 6 weeks and all I wanted was the grading voucher inside, the rest went into recycling

2) I purchased my Collector's Club packet on Jan. 4 and received the 15 notes back on May 2nd. I had to email PCGS twice to get this fast of a response. Collector's Club is considered a REGULAR submission, so this directly answers the OP' Question.

3) PCGS Currency charges before any work is done, PCGS Coins only charges after their grading has been completed.

edited July 23, 2017 11:26AM

@synchr said:
    If you want to address these issues directly, please feel free:

1) PCGS requires you to be a Collector Club member and they ONLY send the Club packet by snail mail. In my case this took 6 weeks and all I wanted was the grading voucher inside, the rest went into recycling

>

You can join without paying for any Grading Voucher. Once your payment is processed, you can submit notes - no need to wait.

2) I purchased my Collector's Club packet on Jan. 4 and received the 15 notes back on May 2nd. I had to email PCGS twice to get this fast of a response. Collector's Club is considered a REGULAR submission, so this directly answers the OP' Question.

>

Actually, you didn't receive the voucher "until almost March" and thus mailed the notes in a some point after that.

As I mentioned above, Vouchers are not considered Regular Submissions from anything I have seen on a Submission Form, Web Site or otherwise. If you want something faster (in your case you had a deadline), using a Voucher is perhaps not the way to go. [Vouchers are great for getting notes up to $3000 in value graded on the cheap however.]

3) PCGS Currency charges before any work is done, PCGS Coins only charges after their grading has been completed.

PMG charges before as well, so what is your point? What PCGS Coin does is neither comparable nor relevant.

It is these types of misstatements and false comparisons which raise the specter of you having an ax to grind, rather than just presenting the facts.

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@talkingwalnut2 said:
    So I just joined PCGS because I wanted to submit some coins for a consignor. I (actually he paid for it) bought the Platinum package and I just sent in my free 8 coins this week.

I have a bunch of currency that I own and I'd like to get graded, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, but does PCGS still do currency and is there anything different or special that I need to do or know about before I send in some currency to get graded?

I know it's going to cost money per note, plus the handling, plus shipping to and from, I've got all that accounted for. But is there anything else that I need to know, join, subscribe to, do differently, etc?

Thanks for your time

the PCGS coin company (owned by CLCT) and PCGS currency (owned bj J Bradford) are two different companies. PCGS currency has licensed the PCGS name from CLCT until the year 2027. the that point who know what PCGS currency will be called.

edited August 31, 2017 3:50PM

@gnat said:

PMG charges before as well, so what is your point?

For the last 5+ years, PMG have only charged me until after all grading is completed and they are ready to return ship. This is my understanding of how they normally do business but your statement makes me think this may be an exception, and a courtesy extended.

If so,
    that is just another way in which PMG develops long term relationships and shows they value them.

Major collector, The Rock, only uses PMG for their far better service.
    Perhaps consider them.

I have notes graded by both services. However, PCGS is my preferred for both buying and having graded. Personally, I find their grading to be more consistent. I've had more than a few PMG notes that would absolutely not (or have not) cross(ed). Consistency is more important for me than speed. But, to each their own.

Ultimately, it is the enjoyment of learning about notes in my collection, finding notes that fit my personal interests, and sharing with other collectors that have kept me interested.