Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Can anyone help identify pls.

Answers

• I feel like it's a dupondius. It's bout 14 grams weight. 26mm diameter. I just can't find any picture to make. Found in TN

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't help on what it is, but to the forums.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's Roman, because of wear it will take a bit of work to pin down.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The emperor looks like Gordian III and the reverse figure looks like Tyche.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• It does look like Gordian III. I think that's the closest I've ever been to matching. But still can't match. It's so wore down I may never match. Thanks.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gordian III typically has a bigger snozzola, but it depends on the die maker and this specimen is very worn.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 4:56PM

It could be one of several of the emperors with radiate busts from that time period.
    The partial reverse legend ETOB?RI VA??? suggests it can be identified, but I was unsuccessful.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

The language on it isn't Latin, but Greek; the coin is a Roman Provincial from a Greek-speaking city. Which also explains why the portrait is hard to identify; Provincial coinages often used second-hand or third-hand portraits which can look quite different to the "official" portrait used on regular Imperial coins. It is unfortunate that the obverse legend has not survived; this would have greatly aided the ID.

I'm wondering if the reverse legend is "ETOYC" - the Greek word for "Year", in which case "ETOYC H" would be "Year 8". If this reading is correct then this would actually help narrow it down, as few emperors reigned for that long. Caracalla and Severus Alexander are the only two that I can see as possible matches.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Thank you sapyx. Willieboyd2 help me with tyche. It's her on rocks with swim god at her feet y'all are awesome thanks.

• StampCoinGuy777StampCoinGuy777 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 7:50PM

for sure, ancient!!!

I LOVE old coins.

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Ancient Roman about circa 250 AD. That 5 spike crown was prolific for that era. What throws me is the woman almost appears to be seated or half seated. Just my 2 cents ahh make that half cent. Go to Coinquest.com, select genre, page down to roman/ ancient and browse.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs