Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Anyone ever seen anything like this and what it is?

KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a 1916 50 Rouble 10 year, Russian bond and a 1922 German 1000 Mark inflationary bank note.

Neither are redeemable as they were issued by governments that no longer exist. There is some collector value to these but not much, a few dollars for the bond and $1-$2 for the German note.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bond is a 50 Ruble State War Bond of the Russian Empire dated 1916. Unfortunately the revolution and several governments and massive inflation reduced the value of the bond to the paper it is printed on.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@selitstore @SaorAlba thanks but I was really just wondering about the history behind them not the value. I appreciate the details you provided as it will give me a place to go and read about the times.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

The German 1000 Mark has a pretty well documented and interesting story behind it: the hyperinflation in Germany shortly after WW1. Wikipedia is a pretty good place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation_in_the_Weimar_Republic

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.