Home U.S. Coin Forum

Watching legend auction tonight

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoying watching the legend auction right now Prices seem strong so far

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Matt Proof Lincoln cent set sold as a set for $58,500. The 1913 and 1916 were very strong individually.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many beautiful coins in that lot. I viewed them today

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy cow. I can't even fathom some of these Northern Lights prices. Some of these coins are repeats and the price has somehow tripled since they appeared a couple of years ago. The 1904-O went for almost $40K. Very impressive results for Legend and the consignor!

$250k hammer for the 92-S dollar

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

More then ever, all there, eye appealing , fresh to the market coins are out preforming the greater market. The boutique auction strategy of limited high quality lots is a breath of fresh air compared to the 5 days knock out drag out mega auctions especially for a guy with no attention span. I'm actually learning a lot about series out of my general collector scope this way in small doses. I tend to watch all of the lots in this format. In a Heritage or Stacks marathon I just tune out until my one or two lots that Interest me come up

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Legend's....best....sale....ever

You're right about the all-there eye appealing part but for the toners, I think we can toss out the "fresh" piece of the equation. The 1880-S in 68+ fetched $35K only 2.5 years ago and a couple of the Northern Lights coins from earlier sales (<1 year ago) went for significantly more this time around. This seems to be a completely different market from everything else, though. Back on Planet Earth, I picked up a couple of nice Morgans for reasonable prices, so I'm overall happy even though I got blown out on the monster toned ones.

@tradedollarnut said:
    $250k hammer for the 92-S dollar

This was a spectacular result. I didn't have the pleasure of seeing that one in hand, but from the images it looks like a very high-end coin.

@david

For sure not just limited to fresh to the market but it sure don't hurt

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited July 13, 2017 9:03PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Legend's....best....sale....ever

Greg, Julie, Laura, Jose and team take a bow. All great to work with on both the seller and buyer side. That's what makes a great auction.

m

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2017 11:31PM

More Eye Candy in this auction than any other I have ever seen. The Northern Lights Collection was, and continues to be, off the chart and the Matte Proof Lincolns were all special. Based upon Legend's estimates I thought I might snag a Northern lights coin........but I think that their estimates were only about 30% of hammer. Toning is King.

And thank you for the catalog, Legend........it is a real keeper.

OINK

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2017 8:30AM

@EagleEye said:
    The Matt Proof Lincoln cent set sold as a set for $58,500. The 1913 and 1916 were very strong individually.

I thought that was a great price for the set considering it contained a VDB in 65RB CAC and 2 66BN CAC GOLD coins ('12 & '13); congrats to the winner.

The non-1994 collection MPLs were awesome as well - the 67s were monsters ('10, '14 & '15). I participated and was very happy with my winnings. B)

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

The proof large cent I believe sold very cheap!

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

The proof cents and the Northern Lights lots were fun to watch. I had given up any hope of the 04-O. My estimate was north of $20K - but not THAT far north. The same group of bidding numbers in bidding wars over and over again on those toners. One bidder with a palindromic ID number was a massive player and was the winner on many of the out-of-this-world lots.

@lusterlover said:

@EagleEye said:

I thought that was a great price for the set considering it contained a VDB in 65RB CAC and 2 66BN CAC GOLD coins ('12 & '13). The non-1994 collection MPLs were awesome as well - the 67s were monsters. I participated and was very happy. B)

Congratulations!!!! [If I read those Ray-Bans correctly.]

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 80-S in MS-68+ went to infinity and beyond! Passed the $50K mark!

• DrewUDrewU Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Excellent buy Gemtone65!! That was the coin I was hoping would slip under the radar; but I threw in the towel once I saw how many bidders were still active at 3500. In hindsight, wish I had chased 282 a little harder. I remember seeing your coin in person years ago and it was absolutely incredible.

The 42-S in 67+ has a pop of 2.
    The other 67+ was the single 42-S in 67+ for a while and also the lone 67 for many years. This example is very nicely toned. It, and the 44-P in 68, are in and can be viewed in the #1 WLH short set registry set.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed it...totally.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2017 7:02AM

I watched and enjoyed following along.
    I agree with @Justacommeman regarding learning about series outside, of my normal small world.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought a few coins in the past along the way. Firm seems like a class act. Used to get the hard bound catalogs and I still cherish them. Congratulations to all the buyers and sellers this go around!

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 92-s Dollar was absolute to die for, an upgrade coming for somebody, super tough. if I would had the money, I would have loved to own it.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

bottom feeder that I am, I managed to get snag-hooked by one of the 3 lowest graded coins in the entire sale.

• gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Thanks, DrewU. Here's a coin that I thought would fall below the radar, but did not. Nevertheless, I decided to buy it anyway: lot 280.

Congrats Gemstone! You must have been a kid in a candy store!

m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file