Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the most valuable card you pulled from a pack?

Go.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 1:24AM

An 86 fleer basketball pack ungraded and owned for 7 or 8 years and was unsure if it was legit. Paid $150 for it back then.

Pulled a Michael Jordan RC and graded it with PSA a week later and it graded a PSA 8.5. Sold it for 4300 another week later during the peak of the Jordan market. Couldn't ask for a better surprise of a legit pack and pulling a Jordan and selling it at a high it may not reach again for a while.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

a 1975 nolan ryan that graded out to a PSA 8...the one and only card i ever submitted....this was about 2 years ago......unless u mean pulling some jordans back in 1986 that at the time i had no idea of future value etc....or back in 1980 unwrapping those hendersons followed a year later by fernando-mania

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • tonylagstonylags Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I don't know if valuable; but very cool, I pulled a 2004 Donruss Elite Quad mem piece of of Gehrig/Cobb {bat, pants of each}

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've shared this before but I think it was probably my best pull to date. PSA said it was miscut and I can see it is slightly but after researching this card I found several graded that had the same cut as mine. Also other cards from the pack had the same cut and they made a grade. So I'm going to try again and have it graded soon I hope. Card looks perfect in hand.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value at time of the pull: 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco in the summer of 86 or Frank Thomas 1996 Leaf Lmtd Lumberjacks Black Border. Canseco's were white hot that summer, but it seems like the Thomas was $$$$ as well, maybe even more than Jose.
    Cards that later became high value: 1980 Topps Rickey from a KMart rack pack in June 1980, 1985 Topps McGwire from a wax pack, May 1985 or so.
    The Thomas Leaf Limited Lumberjacks Black Border, that I ended up trading to a card shop owner for a Garnett 95 Finest, a 94 SP ARod and couple of other things I've forgotten.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 7:55AM

I pulled about eight 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookies from packs in 1986 when i was 12. I was buying these Fleer packs at .65 cents each from a local Cumberland Farms convenience store. I had no clue how valuable this rc would become and really wish i hadn't traded away or sold all but one of them which i still currently own.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 8:07AM

I Picked up two 7th series gumless Wacky Packages unopened packs for $15 at the Philly Non-Sport Show in 2013. One of them contained this card, which is a somewhat rare variant...

I ended up getting $700 in cash/trade for it after it was graded:

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't see how that Unitas is miscut. Miscut is one of those things that is in the eye of each individual grader, there's no consistency on it, the card will grade upon resub.

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 9:12AM

Pulled this around the time the product released when I was 14:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled a Rod Carew from a 1972 high number pack in the late '80's. I still have the card.

Daniel
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled a George Brett rookie from a rack pack several years ago.
    Graded a PSA 9 and I sold it for $500. Worth a lot more now. LOL.

• MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I pulled a Satchel Paige cut auto from a pack of 2005 SP Legendary Cuts. I think I sold it for around $1200.00. I also pulled a Yu Darvish Gold Refractor Auto from a pack of 2012 bowman when it first came out and it sold for about 1K.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 11:04AM

1975 Topps mini #223 Yount RC from a 75 mini rack pack and a 1975 Topps mini #660 Hank Aaron from a GAI 7 75 mini wax pack, both of which graded PSA 9. Still have both cards in my primary 75 mini set.

Also, not star cards, per se, but have pulled a number of PSA 10 pop 1 and pop 2 75 mini commons over the years which I have sold for anywhere between $750 and 1K per card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pulled these two last year. Subbed them and sat on them till about a month ago when I sold them. Figured his pricing was going to plateau for awhile till he won the cup. It took Crosby 3 cups and a whole bunch of personal hardware to get his to where it sells now ($1800). I got $1650 apiece. Time will tell in the mean time I got some more play money.

Kevin

• TrevTrev Posts: 333 ✭✭✭

1986 Fleer Jordan rookie from a group rip here in 2009. Ended up grading 96 (9) by SGC. I was lucky and pulled the fourth Jordan RC from the box.

eBay - trevordoveyauctions
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

Have not opened a pack of cards since the very early 90's. I do remember buying a pack of 1982 topps football at a card show back then and pulling the Ronnie Lott rookie.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pulled this recently!

myslabs.to/smzcards

• MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    Pulled this recently!

Congrats on the Big Mac!!!! Very nice card!!!!!

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's interesting that PSA said the Unitas card was miscut but graded the 1985 topps mcgwire a 10. The mcgwire looks more like a miscut to me than the unitas. Probably because the card was going to grade a 9 or 10.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

@olb31 said:
    I think it's interesting that PSA said the Unitas card was miscut but graded the 1985 topps mcgwire a 10. The mcgwire looks more like a miscut to me than the unitas. Probably because the card was going to grade a 9 or 10.

Please explain how that McGwire is a miscut?? It's lopsided a tad but meets the centering requirements to be a 10. I pulled another McGwire out of another pack that was just as good as this one but was more obviously lopsided and had a small nick out of an edge and it got a 9. It was visibly different that my 10.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2017 4:21PM

I agree the McGwire is a nice 10. And that they really should have graded that sweet Unitas.

Best card I ever pulled from a pack was a sweetly centered '85 Donruss Puckett, back around 1990 or so. In more recent years, I had a '75 mini wax pack with Brett showing on the back, but didn't pull it, I just sold it to grote15! :smile:

edited July 11, 2017 5:07PM

@originalisbest said:
    I agree the McGwire is a nice 10. And that they really should have graded that sweet Unitas.

Best card I ever pulled from a pack was a sweetly centered '85 Donruss Puckett, back around 1990 or so. In more recent years, I had a '75 mini wax pack with Brett showing on the back, but didn't pull it, I just sold it to grote15! :smile:

LOL..it's at PSA now as we speak..one of the advantages of a CU/BBCE group rip!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Tim, I hope it grades out schweetly for you! Will be curious to see how the centering was (hard to tell through wax.) :smile:

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

@olb31 said:

Please explain how that McGwire is a miscut?? It's lopsided a tad but meets the centering requirements to be a 10. I pulled another McGwire out of another pack that was just as good as this one but was more obviously lopsided and had a small nick out of an edge and it got a 9. It was visibly different that my 10.

look at the unitas vs the McGwire. the unitas looks more centered to me. and visually looks better. not trying to diss your card.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

BTW, if it comes back a 9 or a 10, just don't tell me! :wink:

@originalisbest said:
    BTW, if it comes back a 9 or a 10, just don't tell me! :wink:

LOL...no, I think top end is a PSA 8. I'd be very happy with that but expect a 7.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Tim - Are you having pack graded or did you rip and sub the Brett?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Well, I hope for an 8 for you. But you know your grades for '75 better than I!

I'd love to open the couple other '75s I have from that group rip, but then I remember the iffy results from the other two I opened. It was that run of packs that (not Steve's fault) often seemed to be miscut or far o/c. Such are the breaks of vintage wax, but if I were a kid wanting decent-looking cards back in '75 opening those, I'd have been peeved! :smile:

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭

Probably should have posted it when I started this thread, but this is my most valuable pull:

Pulled it in '86 and I still have it. Also pulled an MJ that graded an 8. If only I hadn't stopped buying these .50 packs when I completed the set. Doh!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

Pulled a Bird/DrJ/Magic rookie last year from a pack with a popped seal, and came back PSA 9. That card will never leave my collection.

@vintagefun said:
    Tim - Are you having pack graded or did you rip and sub the Brett?

The pack. I'm an unopened collector, after all. ;)

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

LOL! That's what I assumed.

Great pack in any grade.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

By far my best pull so far

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

Pulled the Clint Frazier superfractor autograph from 2013 Bowman Draft on release day and graded it 9.5 BGS. Sold it for $5,000.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭✭

I can't beat that, but about 12 years ago, I purchased a 1981 Donruss Golf pack for $2 or $3. Pulled a Raymond Floyd that was graded PSA 10 and was at the time the only 10. Sold it quickly on ebay for $1,025. I watched the end of the auction and it blew my mind when it went from about $280 to $1,025 in the last 10 seconds.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

@bcubs said:
    Pulled the Clint Frazier superfractor autograph from 2013 Bowman Draft on release day and graded it 9.5 BGS. Sold it for $5,000.

Wow!

myslabs.to/smzcards

• muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

no '55 clemente mention yet? huh?

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@baz518 said:
    Pulled a Bird/DrJ/Magic rookie last year from a pack with a popped seal, and came back PSA 9. That card will never leave my collection.

Well. I know how that first sentence feels. Except the "last year" part of it was more like 15 of them ago. Then I eviscerated any thought of sentence two by selling it. Along with a handful of others pulled from a couple different boxes. Sigh.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a shame on the Unitas, it looks as good as this PSA 8:

https://psacard.com/Content/images/smrpriceguide/images/32132_943x1596.jpg

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

I pulled a Dr. J RC from a '72 pack not long ago. It was a beauty, sent it straight to PSA and got a 7.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled this 69 Topps Stamp Panel with Mickey Mantle from a pack in the very early 80's.

I need to quit procrastinating and send to PSA. It looks like PWCC had one that was PSA Authentic and they mentioned the population report shows only nine Mantle 12-stamp panels have been authenticated and only two graded.

I would be curious to know if anyone has thoughts on this.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2017 6:54AM

Even though the Wrestling All Stars come as a complete set they were offered as a cellophane pack so I would say they count. It is a tie between these two. Not sure which is more valuable. I self submitted these on my first submission to PSA over seven years ago and at this moment they remain Pop 1's. A seller from Minnesota where the cards were made had gotten some in 1982 and would put them out at shows and got ridiculed for doing so and he put them away for 27 years. He sold off his first few sets in late 2009 for $199 and offered his best pack that was pristine for $400. I grabbed it within minutes of the listing. At first I had planned to keep it sealed but I broke down a few hours later and opened it and the cards were all razor sharp. I sent in what I thought were the best 15 and these were two of them. A great thrill and important to my collection.