Home Stamps Forum

From the FDR collection

gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
Not long after the death of President Franklin Roosevelt in 1945 his stamp collection was auctioned by H.R. Harmer. This "collection" included items the FDR had obtained himself and a great many pieces that were sent to him as gifts. If desired, Harmer "authenticated" the covers with a rubber stamp.

This is one I happened upon in a dollar box -- obviously the dealer overlooked the back stamp. It's a fairly common first flight cover (and not in the best condition), probably sent in by the postmaster to curry favor, since postmaster positions were political appointments at that time.

Does anyone have anything like this in their collection?

Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    That is cool. Nice find.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, congrats.
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    No, but I like it!
  • oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I have read FDR was famous for getting a run of say ten stamps to put in his collection and give to friends. Do these extremely low pop stamps surface and if so at what prices do they trade for?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldgoldlover said:
    I have read FDR was famous for getting a run of say ten stamps to put in his collection and give to friends. Do these extremely low pop stamps surface and if so at what prices do they trade for?

Are you referring to the "Farley" issues of the 1930's? These caused quite a stir and were eventually reprinted and sold to the collecting public at face value in the same form as received by the President.

All glory is fleeting.
  • You are lucky with this find. Good luck in the future.

• oz_in_ohiooz_in_ohio Posts: 184 ✭✭

Although i am an aussie and a retired dealer, you have found a true historical piece if USA history.
    In my eyes you have 4 strings to the bow:
    1. A very nice flight cashet
    2. Piece of political memorabillia
    3. An actual item adressed to the president of the USA
    4. 4 A solid airmail item- Envelope, cashet, Stamp and Label or sticker

If i were you, i would approach harmers auctions to try and have it in their auction
    https://hrharmer.com/en/home#
    Or they may want to purchase it off you directly and have it framed in their board room.
    Just remember you have the bait on the line here....Hope you do well with it.....

On the other hand, you may like to want to contact the white house and send them a picture....