Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Is PCGS Currency and PCGSBG are the same company?

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am confused with this two names. I used to know PCGS currency but now SB using PCGSBG so I want to know what is the difference between the two. Is PCGSBG grades better than PMG? Thanks.

Comments

• oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 4:02AM

The "PCGS" trademark rights was sold several years ago by the parent company Collectors Universe (also owners of PCGS graded coins and PCGS sportscards) because they were not making enough money grading currency so they SOLD the rights. After the current "PCGS" owners spent years growing it into a world renowned grading service (the well known green label holder) Collectors Universe attempted to get it back because it was NOW a very profitable business, but they failed. "PCGS" has a multi-year contract to that trademark! Collectors Universe recently started to also grade currency (along with their coins and sportscards) but do not have rights to the original "PCGS" trademark so they started using the "PCGS Banknote Grading" label hoping to piggyback on the success of "PCGS" (green label). They also had earlier label attempts with "PCGS Gold Shield" and a few others I don't remember, that did not succeed and were dropped. PCGSBG is owned by Collectors Universe, PCGS is owned by Jason Bradford and Laura Kessler.

EDITED to add the following info;
    Effective February 4, 2009, PCGS Currency is no longer a division of Collectors Universe, Inc. The PCGS Currency division has been sold to a new company led by current management, including Jason W. Bradford, President, and Laura A. Kessler, Vice President.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 9:10AM

Thanks a lot for the nice explanation. So I guess it is OK to buy PCGSGB's graded notes. As long as it is not graded by Chinese company, I am OK with it. Many coins graded by Chinese company only sell for half the price. Sometime I saw SB auction a rare coin but it was graded by Chinese company, I did not even bid on it. LOL

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2017 9:41AM

A few corrections.
    In 2009, in connection with the sale of its currency grading business, CU granted a long term and exclusive license to the Trademark "PCGS Currency" to the company owned by Jason Bradford and Laura Kessler.
    In 2016 CU was determined to have violated that exclusive license by its use of "PCGS Banknote Grading" in its newly established currency grading divisions in China and France. It was prohibited from the use of any synonym of "currency" together with the term "PCGS."
    CU has changed the name of its grading service to PCGS Gold Shield grading. It is not, to my knowledge, grading in the U.S., but through either it's Chinese or French operations.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it might be grade worst than pmg?

It might grade better or worse than either PCGS Currency or PMG.

You will have to use your own judgment or ask a knowledgeable dealer you trust.

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Should we make are way to the bomb shelters now? Typically when this comes up the *%#$ hits the fan.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay only allows PMG and PCGS to be advertised as "graded"...The major American auctions sell at auction PMG and PCGS notes...so it's fine to buy pcgsgb notes but not worth buying if you later want to sell.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for the information !!!

Timbuk3
  • dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

PCGS Currency only has the rights to use the PCGS name for 20 years. So in 2029 they will have to change the name of their company to something else. The question then emerges, what will the value of PCGS Currency graded items be then?

And, by 2029, I suspect they will have changed their name, but will still stand behind their product, still have the best reputation for accurate and consistent grading, and notes will still be listed in their Registry. So, the value of notes graded will be affected little by any simple name change. And, speaking of little, aren't you the same person who has previously posted ill informed propaganda on the currency forum and roundly chastised by all? Thought so.

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I fully expect the value of a PCGS graded and slabbed note in 2029 to be equal or greater than the value in 2028. Some collectors might have their collections "spiffed up" with new holders. For others, there might even be a premium for notes with the "original name". Of course, that's an opinion on the added value of the company's certification and grading. Who knows what will happen to the currency market itself in that year?

• oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Maybe/hopefully in 10- 15 years CU will have established their brand/label that will allow both companies to continue using their respective branding. If CU can establish a respected brand they can come out a winner; they get a "commission" on each original PCGS (green label) note plus a nice grading fee on their brand.
    When PCGS started the currency grading in ~2005 they hired Jason Bradford, who is now one of the primary owner of the PCGS label. CU did not see enough revenue potential and after 4 years agreed to sell the PCGS trademark. See above where I say that CU can make money (their main purpose) on BOTH companies. Win, win, everybody is happy??

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Very close

• ArriJacobArriJacob Posts: 21 ✭✭

It's easy, "Green means go!" So, if it's a PCGS green label, go for the note!

In 30+ years I have done nothing positive for the hobby because I'm lazy!

--------

Collector of paper money since 1985.

California & Nevada National Bank "Guru" per Peter Huntoon

ANA Intern 1990.

Former member Board of Governors of SPMC.

Life member SPMC 126

Life member ANA 4592

IBNS, FUN, CSNA, NASC, CSNS, etc

Still showing up more often

https://ebay.com/itm/253343064423

Does PCGSBG meet eBay's criteria for grading companies? If not, sales listing the grade number or showing the label should be reported to eBay, like what is done with CGA notes. The are NOT the same as PCGS-C, therefore cannot use PCGS-C's eBay approval (or whatever it is called) to meet eBay's TPG minimums.

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN

Neither PCGS BNG, nor its successor PCGS Gold Shield Grading, meet eBay criteria for listing (an "Approved Grading Service"). They have not graded over 100,000 notes and do not have any graders who are members of PCDA. See: https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

Despite this eBay has listed (the now prohibited) PCGS Banknote Grading as an approved service.

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't matter what non approved graded currency goes to eBay....they don't do anything about it. I report them any time I see them and have not seen one go down before it was sold.

PCGS-Currency went out of business Jan 30, 2019