Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Are these consecutive $50 birth notes worth anything?

LuciddreamLuciddream Posts: 4
edited May 2, 2017 6:33PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Hello, I ran across these bills I received from the bank and held on to them just in case. Could they be worth something or can I spend them?
Thanks in advance

Best Answers

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Spenders IMO. The year is neat but the first four numbers do not coordinate with a month and day for a full birth day note. The year alone commands a premium when all other digits are zeros.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

spend them. fwiw

Answer ✓

I like the two years note. Being circulated and a higher denomination, it is also a spender. You can try to put it on eBay starting at $65 and see if anyone bites.

Answer ✓

I would start it as a regular 7 day auction. Lots of eBayers do not look at buy it now listings.

Fees 10-12%
    Charge $3.50 shipping.

...you're not going to make much of anything, but if you have lots of free time, and someone wants it maybe you'll make $5-$10.

Answers

• @Tookybandit said:
    Spenders IMO. The year is neat but the first four numbers do not coordinate with a month and day for a full birth day note. The year alone commands a premium when all other digits are zeros.

@johnny9434 said:
    spend them. fwiw

Ok, thanks for the response. I am very new to coins and currency but have been collecting for years not knowing what I have. I still haven't had the time to go through it all but now I check all my bills for unique serial numbers.

I have one more, almost the same so probably not worth more than face value but here it is. I kept it because it has 2 birth years back to back.

• @Tookybandit said:
    I like the two years note. Being circulated and a higher denomination, it is also a spender. You can try to put it on eBay starting at $65 and see if anyone bites.

How much should I expect to pay eBay and shipping costs if it sells? Auction or buy it now?

• @Tookybandit said:
    I would start it as a regular 7 day auction. Lots of eBayers do not look at buy it now listings.

Fees 10-12%
    Charge $3.50 shipping.

...you're not going to make much of anything, but if you have lots of free time, and someone wants it maybe you'll make $5-$10.

I've got some free time. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Should I wait to post it like on a Saturday? Should I set a reserve? Thanks again.

I would start it at $65 and have the first picture shown be the serial number area w/ the denomination zoomed in. May not get a bite, but nothing wrong with giving it a shot. Maybe the two years have special significance to someone. Too bad it's not a $1, $2, or $5. Tougher on the higher denominations (more expensive).