Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

US $20 with Donkey on Back

Can anyone help? I found a $20 bill with a small donkey on the back. It is underneath the gold 20s on the back which leads me to believe it was part of the printing process and not a stamp on. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

It is stamped and post BEP. The ink did not adhere to the yellow security 20's. Tricks the eye's and makes it look like the donkey is underneath them. That's fun though, thanks for sharing!! :)

• zmaniazmania Posts: 4

Tookybandit, Thanks for the info. Very deceiving. Nice eye.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

My pleasure, hope you will stick around these parts. This hobby is lots of fun!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that this is akin to a chopmark on a coin. It's a mark of authenticity applied by a foreign banking house.

I have documented about 50-100 of these, mostly on $100s. They would be expensive to collect since they are usually on 100s but if you choose to, you would have little competition.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • zmaniazmania Posts: 4

Thanks also sellitstore. Good to know. Do they add any value?

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. These marks aren't unusual on the $100s and nobody collects these, so face value only. They are more unusual on the $20s but nobody collects them. Since the mark was added after the note was released into circulation, collectors really aren't interested.

The question of who stamped this note, where and when is interesting but unlikely to make the note worth more than $20 to anyone.

That's why I try to document these as I come across them but don't bother to save them. Maybe someday someone will research these but it probably won't be me.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Thanks again for the good info, sellitstore.

• mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Who ever stamped that note that is an ass.

• JrDavid68JrDavid68 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited May 21, 2017 5:45PM

Modern day mule note.

JrDavid68
  • I found this post thru internet, its strange but I have same stamp on a 20 bill. Not in the exact same spot but close. Thru the picture you can easy notice that the ink is not the same type as the bill but in hand seems to be like original. I got excited until I found this post hahahaha .

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2018 6:54PM