Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Grading a note with a minor bend in the corner

I sold the note shown below as crisp uncirculated (no number, no choice/gem-type modifier). The note definitely looks uncirculated to me, but the buyer sent it back as damaged/incorrectly described/not uncirculated because of a crease in the upper left corner. On second view, there is a minor bend, and the corner doesn't lie fully flat, but my definition of a crease is a much sharper crease than what's here. You can see the "crease" if you look at the photo carefully.

For my own understanding of grading and for how to deal with this return, did I describe the note incorrectly? Reading PCGS and PMG grading standards, they mention folds, but again, I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as a fold.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

I myself would consider that a "teller handling" fold, or imperf of the note. May still classify as uncirculated, just not the top category. It's definitely not a crease, it's handling damage as such. Like when a teller would count through a new stack they generally take them at the corners.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful note! The light fold appears to go into the design. This would put the note in the AU category. ...just my opinion, hopefully others will chime in too! :)

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mainejoe said:
    I myself would consider that a "teller handling" fold, or imperf of the note. May still classify as uncirculated, just not the top category.

When you say not the top category, if we're going on numbers, am I to take it to mean you're saying it could be a low 60s, just not a 65 (or maybe not even a 63).

As an example, here's how PMG defines a 61: "The note is poorly centered and the margins come into the design. There may be counting marks, smudges or other signs of handling. There will be no folds through the design."

PCGS says this for a 62: "A note at this grade level will remain fully New with no folds or bends through the design, but a couple of corner folds that do not reach into the design may be present. Counting crinkles and handling marks are acceptable, as long as they are not overly distracting. A partial bend or pinch that does not extend through the entire width of the note may cause it to be designated a “62” or lower. A note with severe centering problems may fall into this grade, as may notes with flat paper surfaces or minor paper toning."

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

You are right in the examples you found. I think it may be a 62 at best, but would depend on the grader at that time and their impression of the "bend". But it should still bring it to the low end of uncirculated.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been told by a major currency dealer that tiny 58epq notes can pass as Unc. with a little spit to straighten them out, not sure if that's true.

• dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I would have returned this note too as I would consider it AU58. Now in the 'right' hands, it could be made into CU or better note,..but I am not advocating this.