Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Star jordan rookie?

Hi, just wandering if anyone can tell me if this is a legit or a possible legit rookie card.. the condition is rough but not completely written off

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that spot on the back where the paper loss is, generally where these cards are stamped "Reprint"?

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 8:49AM

Borders are way off, in my opinion. Gonna say fake. Have never seen such a fat-bordered Star 101. They usually all look pretty similar, with narrow and rather OC borders. Also, the printing quality looks a bit iff. For visual comparison if it helps, here is one with the normal look:

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

I'm no expert, but the lettering on front does not line up the same as it does on the Beckett one.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Fake

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

reprint. someone erased it

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the detailed information rather than just a "fake" answer..

• Options

I purchased a box of random stuff from a garage sale, mainly because the box was filled with old star wars figurines and an optimus prime still in a crumpled up box... amongst this lot was a couple of Jordan's in question and a packet of 86 fleer basketball cards which was sold.. I will post up pics of the other cards that were In the box shortly..

• Options

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@Krandom81 said:

This card is a shop at home counterfeit.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

I'd like to give the op (and anyone else) an answer as to "why" it is fake.
    First, the clarity of the picture is completely fuzzy, I know it's not a great picture (no offense) but it is completely pixelated and unclear.
    Another sign is MJ's head. In the counterfeit's he looks almost bald with a shiny head. Now compare that to the one that DM23HOF posted, you can actually see the hair on MJ's head.

Two of the easiest signs that it is a counterfeit are on the back of the card; the word "reb" in the Collegiate Record box should be capitalized "REB", I have NEVER seen or known an authentic to say, "reb".
    This last one is kind of hard to explain... the black line inside the "Collegiate Record" box right above totals is too long. Starting on the left, it goes too far over the "..." after the word totals. The line should start right after the last period, but it goes over almost four periods.
    If you follow that black line all the way to the right side it SHOULD almost touch the border of the "Collegiate Record" box, but as you can see it is a decent distance away from the border.

Here is a graded copy from ebay I randomly looked up to show anyone that's interested. Don't know how to paste listings. Ebay listing # 162484710629
    Hope that helps.