Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Autographs to good to be True

While scrolling through ebay an autographed Wilt Chamberlain basketball card  caught my eye.  
 The heading said "Wilt Chamberlain Autographed 1961 Fleer Basketball Card REPRINT".   Ok, so the card is a reprint, but the auto could still be legit? The seller had more than a thousand positive feedback so maybe its legit?  Then I saw the buy at price of $15 and 5 cards still available and I knew it was to good to be true.  As I read the item description I was right the card and the autographs were both reprints.
 I got curious so I checked the seller's other items and saw that all he sells are reprint autos of HOFs on cards and baseballs.  Some to the novice collector look real. The seller is upfront that they are Novelty autographs, but how many of these items are sold and comeback on ebay for sale as legitimate autographed items? Scary.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilt-Chamberlain-Autographed-1961-Fleer-Basketball-Card-REPRINT-/282450607841?hash=item41c35e3ee1:g:oZ0AAOSwAANY7cRa

Henry Ruiz

Comments

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess my Ruth autographed photo signed "Happy Bday Kendall - Cubs win the 2016 WS" dated 11/23/16 is probably a fake huh? :D

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hence the recent legislation regarding autographed items and COA's, as well as the PSA/DNA response, and the anticipated restructuring of the current marketplace.

It is a scary time to be an autograph collector and the issue of authenticity will plague us forever. I imagine more stuff will be coming to the surface soon as investors begin to question the provenance of their holdings and will require a 3rd party certification to uphold the value of their portfolios. CU should find another revenue stream in this and the stockholders will rejoice.

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Somebody really should have told Ruth not to be hold his bat that way for the photo!!

• hjrhjr Posts: 46 ✭✭

@travis t said:
    Hence the recent legislation regarding autographed items and COA's, as well as the PSA/DNA response, and the anticipated restructuring of the current marketplace.

It is a scary time to be an autograph collector and the issue of authenticity will plague us forever. I imagine more stuff will be coming to the surface soon as investors begin to question the provenance of their holdings and will require a 3rd party certification to uphold the value of their portfolios. CU should find another revenue stream in this and the stockholders will rejoice.

Travis in regards to the PSA / DNA response, are you talking about a memo or letter they put out?

Henry Ruiz
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@hjr said:

@travis t said:

Travis in regards to the PSA / DNA response, are you talking about a memo or letter they put out?

Received a few days ago in the form of an "Urgent Message".