Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Need advice for some consecutive silver certificates

I have a group of 31 sequential numbered 1923 silver certificates, anywhere from XF to CU. I'd like to eventually send them to auction. My question for everyone is 1. Do I bother to get them certified and 2. Which auction company would you use?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Yes, you absolutely should get them graded. http://www.pcgscurrency.com/

It is highly doubtful that placing them all in auction at the same time is the best way to maximize your return. Never put them as a group lot. See how the grades come out. Place over several weekly auctions (or if you get a 67 or better out of the lot, perhaps it might go in bigger sale. Heritage, Lyn Knight or Stacks Bowers all are good choices.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 9:05AM

Also,with a run that size you want to look for COPs (changeover pairs--or reverse COPs).These are pretty common among runs from that series and would be worth quite a bit more money than the others if you have them.As far as grading....well,it may turn out that you have some that are,like you stated,,xf....in my opinion an xf for a common 1923 silver is only worth in the $50-$75 range and I personally can't see the sense in grading those notes(unless they are part of the COP).

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2017 8:18AM

Username, The Rock, will only have PMG grade his vast collection.
    https://www.pmgnotes.com/services/submitting.aspx

PMG also has more favorable grading and much, much faster turnaround, ... much faster.

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Can you post images for us to see? If the SC are common ones, and not COPs, or not otherwise 'special' I'm not sure about getting them graded.

However, I 100% agree, go with PCGS to get them graded. PMG is respectable, but PCGS is more accessible, in my view.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
    edited April 23, 2017 8:03AM

PMG is currently running at 3 weeks turnaround time for regular submissions, you can join immediately and submit today.
    https://www.pmgnotes.com/join/

PCGS is currently at 4 months.
    This is not a "walk up" or "online" service but embroiled in old world paperwork. PCGS require you pay to join their "Collectors club" before you can submit notes to them for grading (or go to a registered dealer and pay him extra fees for the dealer to submit them to PCGS).
    Once you pay PCGS, it takes at least 6 weeks for PCGS to snail mail you the Collector's Club paperwork and paper submittal voucher for your notes. Keep in mind that you can not submit notes for grading without that paper voucher.

• I personally wouldn't spend money grading anything that wasn't a gem.

@EastCoastCurrency said:
    I personally wouldn't spend money grading anything that wasn't a gem.

Sensible advice.
    Again, we're not sure of which Fr. notes these are nor the value of the notes , but if they average under $100 then adding $25-$45 in grading fees+s&h may not be recoverable.

Possibly, Throw them in the Buy Sell section here
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/buy-sell-trade-currency

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I'll try and post images later this week.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a few moments to take some pictures of the fronts, The notes seem Unc, but have a sort of unnatural wave to them that may knock them down to AU/AU+ or so. I'm leaning toward Heritage, but haven't ruled out Lyn Knight. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

• mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Well, I do see a crossover pair in there- #'s 22147317, 22147316. See the names on them change, that's a crossover pair- sequential numbers and different signatures.

• SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Yes, the 316 and 317 ending notes have nice premium due to the signature change.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

We have a winner!

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency