Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Baseball Cello pack experts. Are these real?

Did topps produce these jumbo packs? Or are these counterfeit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401309082953?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Aftermarket, various years of cards in one pack.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@vols1 said:
    Aftermarket, various years of cards in one pack.

Are you sure? This seller sold 5 packs, and all that shows are 78's.

And what does aftermarket mean?

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

It means they were not produced by Topps, but repackaged by another party.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

Most likely the only 1978 cards were the ones showing on top

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

i dont think anyone had that type of blister packaging in 1978..otherwise all packs would be in that type of packaging that needed scissors to open rather than being wrapped in a cellophane pack with graphics on it.

that is modern packaging using older cards.

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

these types of "packs" are produced by manufacturers who buy scores of commons at cheap prices and then put them in a nice looking package to make it look like it was from the Topps factory. But note there is no Topps logo on the packaging. Most of these are sold to unsuspecting people who think they are legit Topps product. They dangle a star on top to get you thinking it's real. Don't waste your $$

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2017 5:20AM

@coinspacks said:
    i dont think anyone had that type of blister packaging in 1978..otherwise all packs would be in that type of packaging that needed scissors to open rather than being wrapped in a cellophane pack with graphics on it.

that is modern packaging using older cards.

I know that topps produced these double blister packages in 1980. They are rare, but they were confirmed to be legit. Just not sure about 78.

• TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

If you do a search of "blister pack topps", you will see the TOPPS name on the front of the packaging if they are legitimate. That's the key. This pack just says "All original trading cards". They've been searched and repacked.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2017 6:15AM

After market third party packs. They are/were not factory issued by Topps and not considered unopened by the definition of the term.

The 1980 blister packs, OTOH, were produced by Topps (along with the cardboard holder) and are considered unopened.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

stay away

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

Tim, what does a 1980 blister pack look like? And how were they sold? Have not run across them before.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

i think this is one of the 1980 packs. Has staples around the cards, hope it came that way.
    photo IMG_1484_zps3tjpffxw.jpg