Home Q & A Forum

How can graders tell if an old draped bust dollar was plugged

Couple years ago picked up a AU 1796 small eagle dollar NGC holder just said plugged. I figured out the die strike from scan on E-Bay. It is a B5 reverse die state c. There is a large die lump on letters I&C in America. The coin has beautiful toning the lump is shiny because it is the highest point on the reverse. I thought maybe this is why they called it plugged.

I bought the coin because it has great eye appeal and 1796 small eagle are hard to find in AU grade. Paid 3,900.00 When I got the coin took it to a coin expert here in Hawaii. He told me that NGC would have known that the shiny area was a die lump and that some repaired holes are expertly done.

When I look at this under 6X led power cannot see any evidence that this coin has ever been plugged. I was wondering how graders can tell plugged coins is there some kind of devise that they use?

Answers

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that the graders get to look at the coin raw and in their hands. Sometimes it is easier to see repairs when the coin is raw vs. when you have to look through plastic like you are doing now. That said, you can always have the coin reviewed by the grading services if you think they might be incorrect. They all make mistakes from time to time. Good luck!

:+1:

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Buellfast posted, "Couple years ago picked up a AU 1796 small eagle dollar NGC holder just said plugged. I figured out the die strike from scan on E-Bay. It is a B5 reverse die state c. There is a large die lump on letters I&C in America. The coin has beautiful toning the lump is shiny because it is the highest point on the reverse. I thought maybe this is why they called it plugged.

I bought the coin because it has great eye appeal and 1796 small eagle are hard to find in AU grade. Paid 3,900.00 When I got the coin took it to a coin expert here in Hawaii. He told me that NGC would have known that the shiny area was a die lump and that some repaired holes are expertly done.

When I look at this under 6X led power cannot see any evidence that this coin has ever been plugged. I was wondering how graders can tell plugged coins is there some kind of devise that they use?"

@Buellfast, The die lump at IC in AMERICA is seen on all examples of 1796 B-5 that I have seen in over 30 years, and I've never heard of an example without this lump. This lump is opposite Stars 2 & 3 on the obverse - these two stars are weak and not well struck up as they were opposite the lump at IC when the coin was struck.

Do you have a photo of your coin that is "supposedly" plugged and repaired somewhere else?

For those not familiar with this die marriage with the lump at IC in AMERICA, here is a 1796 B-5 Dollar with the lump at IC of AMERICA. This specimen is graded PCGS XF45.

Photo courtesy of PCGS, W. David Perkins, and Warren Miller.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Yes that is the coin I have, die lump looks just like that. On the holder did not have die variety info just plugged. I don't have good pictures I am trying to find out how to photograph my coins most of which are in holders. I do not want to go out & buy lots of camera equipment. I know a guy who might be able to help me figure a setup that would work. I have some photo's I took when I bought the coin If I find them I will send copies to you.

When I had it in hand was stoked how nice it was to get a AU grade at a fine 12 price and esp. since AU coins are rare in 1796