Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

April Pickups- Let's see them!

I have been looking for the right example for quite a while and I have finally checked it off my list.

Comments

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    I have been looking for the right example for quite a while and I have finally checked it off my list.

Sweet looking PSA 2 Mantle. Well done.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:

Very nice Mantle and I am sure a great price. Nice pickup!

KC

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good score on the Mantle. My favorite Mantle card.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 10:46AM

Picked up a pretty cool tobacco lot of framed cards. Lots of HOF players all original.

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

maddux69 -- The eye appeal on your '53 Topps Mantle is "off the charts" compared to the grade. The key picture area is so clean and pure. Twas an expert job of curating for your collection, ol' bean. I'm sure you're very, very happy with this one, and you should be.

Thanks for sharing your joy, bro. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    Picked up a pretty cool tobacco lot of framed cards. Lots of HOF players all original.

That is pretty damn cool. Are they adhered to the background?

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

They are glued on but I believe they can be removed by "soaking". I like it either way but I am curious what tobacco company is printed on the backs.

• TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Nice stuff so far. That's a really nice Mantle for PSA 2. I picked up a 1964 Ron Santo and a 1968 Bob Gibson.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this in the mail this week. So far a Pop 1 out of 227 submitted.

@addicted2ebay said:
    They are glued on but I believe they can be removed by "soaking". I like it either way but I am curious what tobacco company is printed on the backs.

Please keep us in the loop if you decide to remove them.

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I got this in the mail this week. So far a Pop 1 out of 227 submitted.

I tried to win that card lol Glad you won it!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks you @JBrules @KendallCat @BLUEJAYWAY @IndianaJones and @TheMick ! I am going to send it in for review at some point. Although I like the fact that the grade matches my 52T Mantle. B)

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I upgraded the 9 in my 68 All Star set.
    James

• cygtrcygtr Posts: 14

I picked this up free with my Ebay bucks. This is actually the first vintage I have ever owned!

That is one nice Gibson all star. You must have quite a set of 1968 all stars. I have the Santo in PSA 9, my only one.

I wanted a half decent 1971 Namath (without breaking the bank) and I was able to pick one up in an Ebay auction.

That Red Grange looks great for the grade. Congrats. Love the Brock All-Star.

I have toyed with putting together PSA 9 set of those but haven't started. That is an incredible looking Brock.

Never go wrong with Broadway Joe!! Very nice for the grade. Congrats.

@TheMick said:
    That is one nice Gibson all star.

What the hell is happening to my brain? Lou Brock, not Gibson!!

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Just picked up this one:

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another nice low pop '72...and the soon to be first DH!

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Grange and Namath!

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • First submission in about a decade using membership vouchers.

1 1 27180740 NEAR MINT 7 1970 Topps 210 Juan Marichal
    2 1 27180741 MINT 9 1972 Topps 51 Harmon Killebrew
    3 1 27180742 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1973 Topps 190 Bob Gibson
    4 1 27180743 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 35 Ron Santo
    5 1 27180744 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 220 Don Sutton
    6 1 27180745 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 554 Rich Gossage
    7 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1971 Topps 550 Harmon Killebrew
    8 1 27180747 MINT 9 1975 Topps 60 Fergie Jenkins
    9 1 27180748 MINT 9 1975 Topps 80 Carlton Fisk
    10 1 27180749 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 150 Bob Gibson
    11 1 27180750 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 185 Steve Carlton
    12 1 27180751 MINT 9 1975 Topps 530 Gaylord Perry
    13 1 27180752 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 540 Lou Brock
    14 1 27180753 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 545 Billy Williams
    15 1 27180754 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 640 Harmon Killebrew

Highlighted by a $4 raw pickup from about 8 years ago

Travis - used to be kcballboy

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2017 12:32AM

Found this pack after years of looking for one. 1980 topps basketball Bird/Erving/Magic RC back. I found this in an old GAI slab mislabeled(no rc notation).

I am sure someone can do a better overlay to the pack to show all of the key areas defined, but I tried to photoshop the coloration to show. Key points are the blue C starting to form on Bird plus the blue frame, julius is obvious, magic you can see his leg and half torso/arm.

Cannot wait to get this to PSA with the correct holder!

Were you able to get this pack without paying a premium, or was it still sold as a Bird/Magic pack?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

In honor of Masters weekend, a little uncut golf sheet action. First unharmed '84 Miller Press specimen I had seen in ages, so I felt quite pleased (and rather fortunate) to walk away victorious. Wasted no time in giving it a new look.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

looks great!

just tell us it wasnt adheased in there...

84 - 86 miller press sheet are quite rare.

still looking for an '86 one for obvious reasons!!

edited April 8, 2017 9:09AM

@PaulMaul said:
    Were you able to get this pack without paying a premium, or was it still sold as a Bird/Magic pack?

I paid $150 for it. I think a normal pack (GAI) is worth about $25-50 less, but I made a strong offer because I saw the Erving and suspected a 1/2 to 1/4 chance based on that. I was pleasantly surprised when confirmation of the key RC was made and this has obviously increased the pack's value substantially, as well as crossed off a white whale of mine!

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

I almost feel like you should leave it the way it is. Can't image the cost of removal and you'll probably lose the backs. It looks cool this way. JMO . Doug

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Childhood favorites (note: white specks from scanner)

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭

My 6 card renewal submission fresh back from PSA. Have a great weekend fellas. Doug

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

First and only Andre the Giant from the magazine to be better than "Authentic".

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

@wrestlingcardking said:
    First and only Andre the Giant from the magazine to be better than "Authentic".

I take it they ask that a qualifier not be given or it would be an 8OC??

• cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2017 6:15PM

The set registry is a powerful drug ;)

After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods

@JRFinest said:
    Finally finished another subset in my Allen Ginter n28 set (wrestlers and oarsmen completed). I got tired of waiting for a Mclaughlin. So I'll likely self submit this one down the road. 48% now on the set overall.

Beautiful set, but I have to say I absolutely hate when PSA gets lazy and bags a card in the wrong size slab rather than get it right. I'd raise hell with customer service if my self submission came back that way.

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@PaulMaul said:

I paid $150 for it. I think a normal pack (GAI) is worth about $25-50 less, but I made a strong offer because I saw the Erving and suspected a 1/2 to 1/4 chance based on that. I was pleasantly surprised when confirmation of the key RC was made and this has obviously increased the pack's value substantially, as well as crossed off a white whale of mine!

If this was the one on eBay, I was the bidder on it before the seller took it down and listed as BIN. I too immediately saw the Erving and was interested at a low enough price. Wasn't going to bid too high, but figured it would be worth the risk. It is in a GAI holder so there's always risk there, the only other thing I noticed is that the cards were face out on both the front and back... my experience, albeit limited, with these packs is the cards usually all face the same way. Good luck, hoping it crosses over for you.

@baz518 said:

@secretstash said:

@PaulMaul said:

If this was the one on eBay, I was the bidder on it before the seller took it down and listed as BIN. I too immediately saw the Erving and was interested at a low enough price. Wasn't going to bid too high, but figured it would be worth the risk. It is in a GAI holder so there's always risk there, the only other thing I noticed is that the cards were face out on both the front and back... my experience, albeit limited, with these packs is the cards usually all face the same way. Good luck, hoping it crosses over for you.

Impossible to be sure from a scan of course, but the back of the pack looks totally legit from what I can see in the scan. You can actually see some of the wax marks intact crossing the seal.

edited April 12, 2017 11:00AM

@PaulMaul said:

@baz518 said:

@secretstash said:

@PaulMaul said:

Impossible to be sure from a scan of course, but the back of the pack looks totally legit from what I can see in the scan. You can actually see some of the wax marks intact crossing the seal.

I do think front and back face up is possible as well, just less likely because it requires a mid pack flip to happen. Here is a PSA 7 example.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 8:09PM

Just landed this centered Roberto; matches well with the Sandy :blush:
    The perfect inking registration and thus the focus on the Mick is an aspect I've been after a long while.

Those are some sexy pieces of cardboard.

Nice 51 Mick, great card for the grade! That is exactly what I am looking for, all I need to do is set away the funds.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice month so far. Keep me coming.

Kevin

Kevin

• Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

I like the Clemente card!!!

The 1956 Mantle is expensive. I felt this might be my last chance to land a half decent one.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

Kevin

You must really enjoy this thread

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

@LOTSOS said:

Kevin

Have you ever seen the movie, "Brainstorm"?

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

@LOTSOS said:

Kevin

Kevin

Wow! What a trifecta with Clemente, Koufax and Mick. That Koufax and Mantle both have great color and print clarity that you don't see even on higher graded cards. Great cards for sure. Congrats.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pickup on the Clemente and Mantle rookie. Have not grabbed much in the last few weeks, but picked this one up as the first in my quest to maybe pit this set together in PSA 4-5 with strong eye appeal and centering.

Nice CJ KC, outstanding centering and presents well above the technical grade. Good luck with the set!

edited April 14, 2017 12:32AM

One card down and one card left for my 1968 set.