Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stupid question...what is "walkthrough" service?

opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2017 4:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is "walkthrough" just another name for speedy grading, or does that imply submitting your coins in person at PCGS headquarters in California, ie- walking through? Say I have a coin that's not worth enough to require walkthrough, but just want it graded in 1-2 days, can I pick that and mail it in?

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

Comments

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

walk through = expensive

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2017 4:49PM

I have never done it but I believe it's when you have a coin graded right at the show that same day and you get it back graded an hour or so later at that show, and pay through the nose for that service.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@opportunity said:
    Is "walkthrough" just another name for speedy grading, or does that imply submitting your coins in person at PCGS headquarters in California, ie- walking through? Say I have a coin that's not worth enough to require walkthrough, but just want it graded in 1-2 days, can I pick that and mail it in?

Yes, you can pick it on your mail in sub and it is supposed to get done fast. Will it? Who knows?

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@opportunity said:

I'm a little confused by your second question. You say the coin is not worth enough to require the walkthrough fee? I don't think it is ever required.

Yes, you can do it by mail. Estimated turnaround is 2 days. As Wabbit points out it is just an estimate.
    Lance.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a lot like pledging a fraternity and going through hazing....back in the old, violent days.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably once upon a time you could actually walk the coins through. Used it a few times years ago. Price has gone up.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

@opportunity said:

I'm a little confused by your second question. You say the coin is not worth enough to require the walkthrough fee? I don't think it is ever required.

Yes, you can do it by mail. Estimated turnaround is 2 days. As Wabbit points out it is just an estimate.
    Lance.

Walkthrough service (and related fee level) is required whenever you submit an item that is valued at over $20,000.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@lkeigwin said:

@opportunity said:

Lance.

Walkthrough service (and related fee level) is required whenever you submit an item that is valued at over $20,000.

That's right! LOL...I guess I haven't had to deal with many of those.

They also require "Secure" service.

Mea culpa.
    Lance.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it's a service where it gets fairly top priority and someone from PCGS walks it through each step from grader to grader to finalizer to sealing to shipping.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I'm thinking it's a service where it gets fairly top priority and someone from PCGS walks it through each step from grader to grader to finalizer to sealing to shipping.

In the earlier days, like 15-20 years ago, I would visit PCGS with a dealer who had a PCGS account, drop off a group of coins, and then pick them all up by the end of the day.

Here's one of my walkthroughs, back in the day:

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2017 10:04PM

I've never used it, but it appears to me that the Walkthrough service is only available via mail and not available at shows. It is required for coins valued above $20,000.

The show services options are Show Rarities and Show Express which cost twice as much but only take 4 hours.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used the service several times in the past. Mixed results.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

EXPRESS SERVICE+

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2017 12:17PM

I've had mixed results. I use it a lot. I used it more a few years ago though. But yea it's just speedy grading and required on some coins depending on dollar value...

• @Traz said:
    I've had mixed results. I use it a lot. I used it more a few years ago though. But yea it's just speedy grading and required on some coins depending on dollar value...

Hey sorry to bring back a dead thread but can you elaborate on mixed results? Do you mean the grading results or the turnaround? If you're referring to grading what if anything do you feel that had to do with the service level you chose ? Thanks in advance.

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

The turn around times. Look at the walk through times :)

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Therustyb said:

@Traz said:

Hey sorry to bring back a dead thread but can you elaborate on mixed results? Do you mean the grading results or the turnaround? If you're referring to grading what if anything do you feel that had to do with the service level you chose ? Thanks in advance.

Only 2/8 or 25% fall within the stated 2 day turnaround time... yikes.

• knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

No one from PCGS "walks it thru"; it just another level of how fast the coins are processed.
    And you cannot ask for your money back if they are later than the time estimated.

@TopographicOceans said:
    I've never used it, but it appears to me that the Walkthrough service is only available via mail and not available at shows.

It is my understanding that it is available at the shows and at every event they are grading on-site. It is also available at the Member's Only Shows/Grading Events in Vegas/NOLA etc.

• opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

I actually sent a Walkthrough since I posted this. The grade was posted less than 24 hours after it check into the system.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Therustyb said:

@Traz said:

Only 2/8 or 25% fall within the stated 2 day turnaround time... yikes.

Not really. They did better than that. Only business days are included in the estimate but you took weekends into account when you did your calculation. For instance, I'm pretty sure you dinged them on 5/8/2013 to 5/13/2013, but, 5/8 was a Friday, 5/9 and 5/10 were the weekend, then, 5/11 (Monday), 5/12 (Tuesday), and 5/13 (Wednesday) and the order was shipped. That certainly fell within the 2-5 BUSINESS days. Same with a few others.

Also, without knowing any show schedules that may have been there at that time, it is hard to say as well.....when they have shows, there is a hit on the days they have as some staff is out.

Now, to be fair, when one has coins in for grading, it CAN seem like a very long time....been there myself, more than a few times.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file