Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Paypal invoice

Are there any issues using paypal invoice. I am looking at an expensive card on ebay and the seller (who has good feedback) offered the card cheaper if I went off of ebay and paid using paypal invoice. It seems all good but I wanted to aks if there are any red flags. I am guessing by going off of ebay he saves himself the fees and passed those savings on to me a little.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 3:56AM

If it is done by invoice there are fees involved on his end so you should be just fine. On larger purchases I pay with my credit card first to get the points and to have an extra layer of protection. I would have him be specific in the invoice on what you are buying and then fire over the payment. Good luck with the purchase.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Out of curiousity, how do you and a seller trade contact information? Everytime I add an email to the message, eBay rejects it.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last time I did an off EBAY deal with a seller I sent him my cell phone number and said to contact me. He pulled the listing and sent me the invoice and I paid and the next day I got a warning from EBAY about it. They are hip to this work around so not sure going forward.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

i suspect eBay scans any message for a phone number or email or websites. You'd have to be very cryptic in your message to avoid detection. Perhaps directing the seller to contact you on this board could evade their scanner.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alifaxwa2 said:
    Out of curiousity, how do you and a seller trade contact information? Everytime I add an email to the message, eBay rejects it.

From a selling perspective, it's not worth getting a temporary suspension from ebay selling for the money you might net by setting up a direct deal, so the safe ways to work around are either to contact each other using the contact link on the PSA registry page, or finding the buyer's email within archived emails from former ebay/paypal transactions and contacting them direct through that info that you obtained in your prior business. If a buyer requests off-ebay discount who has not purchased before, get them to contact you through the registry or else wait until they've purchased something from you through ebay first before switching platforms.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

You can't write your full email like XXXX@gmail.com. You have to get creative like:

Mr Hockey

AT

gmail

They'll figure it out.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Just 954 give 123 your 4567 cell number like this

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

He put an x between every letter and actually spelld out dot instead of adding a . for the paypal address.

@alifaxwa2 said:

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

I have seen some listings with a cell number in the description for 'Questions'.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Pp invoice is fine. Just make sure the seller uses the correct description of the item and includes pics of it embedded in the invoice. If a graded card, instruct the seller to also spell out the serial number on the description. These acts normally ensure you are protected in a bait and switch scam or if a card arrives damaged.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 1:36PM

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Pp invoice is fine. Just make sure the seller uses the correct description of the item and includes pics of it embedded in the invoice. If a graded card, instruct the seller to also spell out the serial number on the description. These acts normally ensure you are protected in a bait and switch scam or if a card arrives damaged.

I am 99% sure paypal will side with the buyer for this BS. I have simply stated something unlawful like counterfeit or empty package sent when the "wrong" card arrived and had it handled quickly. Sometimes you get to keep the card too--if you want a reprint or some fake because paypal scammers give up easier than ebay because no incentive to defend themselves for feedback/selling privileges.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I think the guy is reputable and he has over 600 100% feedback. He did send me tracking information yestrday as well so I ended up buying the card so I will let everyone know when it comes in. it is a PSA 1.5 1933 Ruth #144. I just need the yellow version of the goudey Ruth's and I will have all 4. I will save up and try for that one next. Thanks for all the advice.