Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Set Pedigree

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've often wondered about the the requirements of getting Pedigree Labels for a set. The PCGS Benefits page states:

"If you participate in the PCGS Set Registry program your set may qualify for the free pedigree service. The free pedigree service policy is as follows:
◦The set must be 100% complete.
◦The set must be in the top 5 in the Registry."

The question is does the set need to be in the Top 5 All Time Finest or just the current? Does anyone know?

I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've wondered about that also :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always assumed "current". But then again, I remember when it only had to be 95% complete.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not apply to lowball sets..... :(:'(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a pain in the butt, unless you're through with the set and will never upgrade...

"The Registry member is responsible for shipping and handling costs. The fee for pedigrees for upgrades to your set submitted after the initial pedigree is $12 a coin. PCGS will not pedigree duplicate coins. You must submit both the upgraded coin and the coin it will be replacing. The coin that will no longer remain in your set will be reholdered without the pedigree and returned to you along with the newly pedigreed coin. The fee for removal and addition of a pedigree is $24 ($12 reholder fee for each coin). Your set must remain 100% complete and in the top five to qualify."

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is the first set of pedigree labels free? lol I imagine it's not.
    But is it?
    It's clear that upgrades cost, but what about the initial completion?
    When I get the last 57 coins I need (284/341) will I have to pay
    $12 x 341 = $4,092 in addition to insurance and shipping? I have a confused look much like this

• Options

It sounds to me like PCGS doesn't charge for the initial service (other than postage), just for changes thereafter.

The real question still remains, however, what status qualifies? Does the Top Five Current qualify or just the All Time Finest 5?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen some MPL's with a Pedigree of a person I know doesn't have an MPL registry. How does this happen if you have to have a Top Five?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2017 9:09AM

What about something like the Saddle Ridge coins? If I send in 200 gold coins, would PCGS pedigree them as the BAJJERFAN HOARD? It would appear that the coins don't need to be in a set to get a pedigree.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

As I understand the rules published a Pedigree Set requires the set to be recognized by PCGS and 100% complete.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2017 11:32AM

I pedigreed my gold set back in 2002, when there were only 4 sets entered, so it was easy to be in the top 5.
    And it is the Current Finest, not the All Time Finest.

If you send a set in to get pedigreed, I'd suggest paying for a grade review since the coins will be at PCGS anyway.

And yes, to put an upgraded coin in your pedigreed set, it has to be the top 5 at the time.

• Options

But I still don't think I've heard anyone answer if a Pedigreed Set qualifies if it's in the Current Top Five Finest and not in the All Time Top Five Finest?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file