Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Picked Up a Scarce small size National

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have Kelly on this?

Comments

• Cody71086Cody71086 Posts: 58 ✭✭

The NBNC shows 17 notes on this bank. 8 of those have this title. This note makes 9 known. This is now the second known $5. A PMG VF25 $10 sold last year for $282 on Heritage.

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 6:33PM

@Cody71086 said:
    The NBNC shows 17 notes on this bank. 8 of those have this title. This note makes 9 known. This is now the second known $5. A PMG VF25 $10 sold last year for $282 on Heritage.

But 7 different Tens show sold on heritage and only 1 Five

• Cody71086Cody71086 Posts: 58 ✭✭

True, but unless somebody is collecting one per each denom issued they will pick up any type just to have an example from the charter. It may add a little value in that sense, but not much.

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cody71086 said:
    True, but unless somebody is collecting one per each denom issued they will pick up any type just to have an example from the charter. It may add a little value in that sense, but not much.

I'm not sure thats true based on prior selling of nationals, but I guess time will tell..

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the $5 lower pop adding cool factor, but tough to get any additional premium. Maybe consign it to auction with a request to add a special note to the listing's description.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 8:05PM

@Cody71086 said:

I think that this is generally true unless one specializes in an area/bank and has a competitor doing the same. For instance, for small sized notes on the MO side of the STL area I have pursued one of each potential variety - denomination, type, officer sig and BBS vs BEP printing. At times I put in "crazy money" proxy bids for the pieces I felt I needed to complete the 70 piece set, I really can't think of any where I actually had to pay much of any premium. In fact the last 3 I purchased (unique varieties and all in auctions) were basically at prices reflecting "generic" notes of a given bank and grade.

By contrast, on the IL side of the metro STL area (5 counties) I'm happy getting a nice large and small to cover each bank. Happy to get other denoms and types as they pop up, but won't pay much of a premium regardless of what the census indicates about individual denoms and types if I already have the bank covered by nice notes.

Just MHO and YMMV as they say...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have Kelly on this?

A reminder that Kelly is several years old and therefore rather out of date.

T&P and NBNC are the way to go for up-to-date census information.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA