Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

buffalo nickel die crack?

1919-d buffalo nickel, date is readable in person. Is this a die crack? If so, how does it affect value? New to this..

Comments

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not likely PMD. Looks like a lamination to me.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭

Lamination error I think.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO Lamination error

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Agree with all above. I posted a pic a few years ago of a war nickel I have with similar but less dramatic lamination damage.

Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guaranteed lamination.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Any additional value over the coin itself?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retained lamination. A new scarface!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination, all the way. I have many of this ilk in Buffalos. A nice example by the way.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed laminations like that to be very common in 1880s V nickels and 19-teens in Buffalo nickels. They also tend to be the most beat up when they have a lamination. As for added value, not really, they don't sell well in these conditions and with a "lower" type error on a lower grade, I think someone would just want the 1919d without it.

I posted about this 1914-S a little while back. Even to this extent it's not worth much, and worth nothing to someone looking for a 14-S. It's worth more as an error than it is the coin, I think at around 30 dollars.

From what I was told here, it's common to see these, as outside vendors supplying the metal didn't really have quality controls like we do today (and errors still happen).

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭

@ranger1202 said:
    1919-d buffalo nickel, date is readable in person. Is this a die crack? If so, how does it affect value? New to this..

This is indeed a lamination error (or better said DE-lamination error).

Also, it is an acid date which hurts it a bit. An acid date is a coin that is treated with acid to bring out the date. This is commonly done on Buffalo nickels that have had their date worn completely off.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Good to know. Thanks everyone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file