Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

You guys were dead on about CGA

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear cga star is a little more circumspect. The con is to grant a grade that "looks like" that assigned without the level of rigor that the main grading services go through with their high tech equipment.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Grading is only an opinion, not everyone one agrees on everything. I keep a record of my notes and include what I grade the note as and then PCGS grade (/PMG).

On more than one occasion PCGS has found something on my notes that I missed, eagle eyes.

• CGA has disappointed me too often. Yes - grading is somewhat subjective but i've seen CGA graded notes marked as some form on UNC when they are clearly not. eBay has taken a stand against showing CGA graded notes (they hide the CGA).

I hold high regard for PMG and PCGS but CGA is a joke and i hold no faith in CGA [Can't Grade Accurately] !

• vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the data. Add it to the pile of evidence that says if condition is a substantial factor in a note's value, you'd be wise to avoid CGA encapsulated notes.

I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • welcome to 2017.

• Well, it only took 8 years to get there. I led the charge and enjoyed every minute. I could list hundreds more, but the horse is dead!!!
    Vinny

• fraud

It all depends on the bill, there are plenty of lower value notes in CGA and CGA* holders accurately graded. The ones I would be very suspicious of are the money grades where their "word" would sway a buyer into shelling out a lot of money.

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I hear cga star is a little more circumspect. The con is to grant a grade that "looks like" that assigned without the level of rigor that the main grading services go through with their high tech equipment.

There is nothing to suggest that cga "star" is any more reliable. Similarly, not sure to what high tech equipment you are referring, other than perhaps several sets of good eyes and strong lighting.

@logger7 said:
    It all depends on the bill, there are plenty of lower value notes in CGA and CGA* holders accurately graded. The ones I would be very suspicious of are the money grades where their "word" would sway a buyer into shelling out a lot of money.

If you are talking about $1 FRNs, very common small size notes and generally notes worth less than $35, this is correct.

However, most anything of value that was accurately graded, has already been cut out of the CGA holder and submitted to either PCGS or PMG.

edited July 25, 2022 2:02PM

I had a CGA Black eagle that was either VF or XF that looked good for grade. You have to remember how many notes they got over the years.

• it was extremely fraudulent. I'm surprised no repercussion

I realize the points made by teddysmith; I was just saying that some notes in their holders are accurately graded. And having notes in a holder like that may actually preserve it better than not.