Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anyone know any info about the medal pictured?

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I says : international exhibition for electro technic in Frankfurt / main ( then west germany)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    I says : international exhibition for electro technic in Frankfurt / main ( then west germany)

Actually, since the exhibition took place in 1891, it was not then West Germany, but Imperial Germany. "West Germany" was the Federal Republic of Germany (with its capital in Bonn); that relatively short-lived division from 1949 until German reunification in 1990.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thasks guys, I did see that info online but unable to find any information on the medal itself. I really like the design and even did an image search and nothing...

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently there is a book published in 1991 about the exhibition:

Eine neue Zeit! Die Internationale Elektrotechnische Ausstellung 1891

If you speak German, it might be worth it - the table of contents lists medals (Medaillen) in the chapter on Publicity

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2017 12:25PM

Also this Bibliography
    points to a thesis, which might be helpful
    AUGUSTIN, Ines: Die Medaillen und Plaketten der großen Weltausstellungen 1851-1904.
    Ph.D. Thesis, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 1985.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:
    Apparently there is a book published in 1991 about the exhibition:

Eine neue Zeit! Die Internationale Elektrotechnische Ausstellung 1891

If you speak German, it might be worth it - the table of contents lists medals (Medaillen) in the chapter on Publicity

Thanks! I don't speak German but I am still going to check those links out when I can get to a desktop computer.

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Very cool. One of many medals issued for scientific, industrial, and similar expositions in Germany (and elsewhere) in the 1800s. The figure on the reverse is Germania, the personification of Germany, surrounded by elements of medicine, science, industry, technology, the arts, and commerce. The laurels that Germania is holding denote victory or triumph in these fields. We see an anvil, a machinery cog, a caduceus, a ship's anchor, a globe, a bale and a cask, an engine, railroad tracks on an arched bridge, a telescope, etc.