Home Metal Detecting
Options

I found some weird knife detecting today

So, like the title says, i was out detecting today out in the cold in a wooded trail hunters used a lot years ago, while doing this i found a decent signal under the dead grass and not even that deep under the Grass was a weird looking pocket knife. I went home with it, and basically used acetone and water to clean it, there was no rust on it at all so i assume its aluminium. Does anyone know what this is?

or somthing

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a fish cleaning knife... popular years ago... often used for trout (in my experience) to ensure the fish was the right size... one side for cleaning, the serrated edge for scaling... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I'll agree with ricko, I have a cheaper, plastic version in my tackle box. Mine even has a small hook on the end with a cheap, spring-based scale so you can weigh the fish.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, what ricko said.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP doesn't fish it seems! Every old fisherman has one of these.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, nice find.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Now you are set for fishing season... ;) I expect to see a picture of you, your fish and the knife posted here then. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Now you are set for fishing season... ;) I expect to see a picture of you, your fish and the knife posted here then. Cheers, RickO

We shall see what the summer may hold :3 thank you

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also ... it is stainless steel, not aluminum. You can see part of the word "STAINLESS" below the word "KA-BAR." Cool find!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody is missing that. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston ...Very true.... Ka-Bar was a very respected brand at one time.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky You! I collect Balisong or Butterfly knives, the one you find maybe for fishing but for Balisong collector, I consider that a Balisong and probably worth around $100 - $200 if listed on eBay or maybe more. Except eBay won't let you sell it if listed as Balisong or Batterfly knife, some people get away with listing it as vintage fishing or hunting knife. Go to "balisongbutterflyknives.com" and you will find a similar item listed for $599. You will find it under antique or vintage balisong butterfly knife tab. Good Luck.

• Options

@Knell...It is certainly Balisong style, but was made as a fishing knife....Check Ka-Bar history... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko, howdy. I'm a fan of your post. this is probably my 3rd or 4th posting here but I do browse daily especially us coins topics and always enjoy reading your post. I agree with you it is for fishing. I also owned a few of Sat-T Waltco knives and a Hemming Knives made for fishing or hunting but for a Balisong collector like me I can work it or flip it like a Balisong. I would like to own a Ka-Bar in the future to see if I can flip it like a Balisong. Thanks and will always keep an eye on your post.

• Options

Thanks for the kind words Knell....Perhaps an experienced Balisong handler could do that... it has been way too many years since I handled this fishing knife, and at that time, I had never heard of a Balisong (or Butterfly) knife. Hope you get a chance to try one...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

That's a cool and unusual find.
    Like some of the earlier posters, I've got one of those too (newer, cheaper made one, with red plastic handle).

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro