Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old school screw down holder damage, can it be undone?

I recently purchased a friends collection to find out his prized 1989 UD Griffey rookie is in a screw down and the bottom corners appear to be slightly crushed. Is there anything that can done and if it was a PSA10 prior to the damage what would it probably grade now with the slightly crushed corners?

Thanks,

BC

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Comments

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

On that particular card issue the crushing of the corner probably also caused damage/loss to the surface/gloss in the corner area. It's not fixable and on a common card like that even the smallest amount of damage means it's not worth sending in for grading.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing can be done unfortunately

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

I speaking with PSA in the past , cards including vintage, are being labeled altered if they have sat in a screwdown holder. You may have difficulty getting it in a holder above authentic.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

screw downs also tend to "rip off" surface material from cards. I see this often with the UD holo. This usually kills grades as well and may not be easy to spot. I generally stay away from screw down cards....products of the late 80s and early 90s...designed to protect...however they tend to do more damage than good.

• MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

@Beck6 said:
    I speaking with PSA in the past , cards including vintage, are being labeled altered if they have sat in a screwdown holder. You may have difficulty getting it in a holder above authentic.

Could you elaborate a little? I understand screw downs damage cards but Why would a card be labeled "altered" just because it sat in a particular holder?

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

I spoke with customer service on an expensive card that came back altered. Il knew for sure it had only had one owner and was pulled from a pack. She asked if it was in a screwdown holder. It was in one of those super thick screwdowns. She told me that it most likely caused parts of the card to flatten out and therefore PSA was no longer holdering these cards with grades. This has been consistent with my last several orders. All screwdown holdered cards have come back altered. Sent the first card to SGC and got a 6.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

That's it. Who is the guy that invented those. Time for a lynching.

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

My screw-down casualty..

• WutziznameWutzizname Posts: 3
    edited December 13, 2016 5:29PM

Question from a Newbie: Is the same true of the old school acrylic snap cases?

I just dug into my old collection for the first time in over 20 years and found a bunch of high value cards stored in individual hard snap cases...likely inserted during the early 90s, I would think.

The cards look great, but wondering if I can expect surface damage to occur when I open the snap cases? And/or if they may be likely to generate the same "altered" assessment as cards stored in the screw down ones apparently can?

Appreciate any expert opinions!

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Nothing can be done unfortunately

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the replies.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The snap case puts little to no pressure on the surface of the card so there won't be any damage to the card.