Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know the history of this 1894-S dime after 2005?

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just trying to figure out if it still resides in the same collection or if it has traded hands since this Heritage auction. I did not see it in any registry sets:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-barber-dimes/1894-s-10c-pr65-pcgs/a/360-30164.s

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2016 9:54PM

According to a January 2016 auction description of a different coin, the coin above is
    in the Simpson Collection, in an NGC PR66 holder.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1231-5317.s
    I used:
    pcgs.com/auctionprices/details.aspx?r=4805&v=&dv=1894-s&pf=pr&c=702&g=0

Edit to add:
    It is shown in Simpson's set on the NGC site, last updated 9/2013.

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    According to a January 2016 auction description of a different coin, the coin above is
    I used:

Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2016 8:16AM

@yosclimber said:
    I used:
    pcgs.com/auctionprices/details.aspx?r=4805&v=&dv=1894-s&pf=pr&c=702&g=0

Edit to add:
    It is shown in Simpson's set on the NGC site, last updated 9/2013.

Huh???? If this coin is indeed in the Simpson collection as an unstickered NGC PF66 (formerly PCGS PF65) that's a major deviation from the norm. How many "hot topics" and "market reports" have we read over the past 5-8 years about ensuring all of your coins are solid for the assigned graded, and ideally stickered. As we've been lectured to for years, you don't want a lower end coin or mis-graded one dragging down the rest of your set. It's supposedly a big negative. Seems to me someone may not be walking their own talk.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not walking their own talk? You ever try to tell a billionaire what to do? He does what he wants

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    ... an unstickered NGC PF66 (formerly PCGS PF65) that's a major deviation from the norm.

It's a Barber Proof set; all the coins in it are NGC. So internally consistent at least.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Not walking their own talk? You ever try to tell a billionaire what to do? He does what he wants

Then such an "exception" should be included in some future "hot topics." I can appreciate a top collector doing their own thing. And it's refreshing to see someone not drinking the Koolaid.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2016 4:39PM

Someone listed it for sale on my site for $1.5 million, with partial payment via PayPal and the rest via wire transfer (red flag #1). They photoshopped the 2005 Heritage images onto a cheap 2X2 plastic holder (red flag #2) and said in the description it had been in their grandfather's collection for years (red flag #3). When I confronted them with the images and provenance, they insisted the images they used were different and that they did in fact have the coin. I cancelled both the listing and the seller account. I figured its whereabouts were known and I wanted to be extra sure before I hit the dump button. Thanks again for the info.

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:
    Someone listed it for sale on my site for $1.5 million, with partial payment via PayPal and the rest via wire transfer (red flag #1).

The first red flag was this not being consigned at a major national auction sale with tons of advance publicity....or being handled for private treaty by one of the nation's top dealers. Next red flag was the $1.5 MILL ask price which seems way below major rarity (2nd finest) price status.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file