Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Overrated notes

How about a thread with your most overrated notes? These are notes that you see at shows or on ebay for crazy money but the notes don't seem to be that rare and to justify the price.

Small size Reno national bank notes. Particularly the $5 note in CU is a pack hoard note. I have seen so many of these in certified CU at coin shows but yet everyone is asking $2000 for them! Come on these shouldn't be more than $500 notes in my opinion. The fact that I see so many on the market proves my point that they are a tough sell at those prices but yet dealers will hang on to them rather than letting them go for what they should be selling for.

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    $5 SC 53B stars are over priced. Maybe not the pop top examples, but all the others. Seems like people can't move them cause they're into them for too much and would rather hold out.
  • larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Robert I agree 100%! Good call. Based on pop data I feel these are way overpriced and will probably never own one for that reason.
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    1928E $1 Silver Certificates. 1934A $1 SCs "R" & "S." $1 SC 1934A Hawaii, $1 USN, to name a few. There are scads of these in high grade.

The $5 SC 1953B Star is perhaps overpriced, but it is still uncommon and a key to completing a very popular series and denomination.

• JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    I've always felt 1928D $5 red seals were overrated.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
    Yep agree on those too gnat. Someone I know thinks the $10 1933 SC is also overrated but I don't really have enough evidence to form an opinion on that as I haven't studied it.

Here's another. $1 1928D SC.
    Originally posted by: Jamericon

Absolutely. Especially since the sheets were cut to form all the single examples in Gem CU. The 1928A $5 LT is much tougher to find well centered and probably the 28 plain as well.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gnat

The $5 SC 1953B Star is perhaps overpriced, but it is still uncommon and a key to completing a very popular series and denomination.

I agree, overpriced but not overrated. Larry wants one and I do too! image

Originally posted by: Tookybandit

Originally posted by: gnat

I agree, overpriced but not overrated. Larry wants one and I do too! image

Robert you buy one first! image
    Originally posted by: Jamericon

Very over-rated and over priced. The 1928A $5 USN is many times harder to find in high grade.

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    1928C, D, and E $1 Silvers (except for certain blocks)

1933 $10 SC

1928 $1 USN

Many Vinson notes

1929 FRBN's

That is all I can think of for now.

Originally posted by: luckybucks

1928 $1 USN

+1

Thousands exist in CU and they used to sell for $50 in the late 80's and every dealer had a glut of them in stock. No doubt there has been dealer manipulation on these to drive up the price as newbie collector's can get fooled into believing they are something special based on the one year issue and the novelty. Prices have softened a little on these the past couple of years as have $1 Hawaii notes. Maybe collector's have smarted up on this.

• SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit

$5 SC 53B stars are over priced. Maybe not the pop top examples, but all the others. Seems like people can't move them cause they're into them for too much and would rather hold out.

I used to record serial numbers for these, and when I hit 75 I quit. The serial number range is over 400,000. Plus, in the past 10 years it appears someone is slowly dispersing a group of CU notes at a rate of one every year or so.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

1928C, D, and E $1 Silvers (except for certain blocks)

1933 $10 SC

1928 $1 USN

Many Vinson notes

1929 FRBN's

That is all I can think of for now.

I disagree with the 1928-C and E in CU. If priced right, they are easy sells.

Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

$1 1928A SC

$1 1934 SC

$2 1928G LT

$5 1934C SC

$5 1934D SC

$10 1934C SC

However in recent years prices on some of these have fallen back a little to where they should be so I guess I can't claim they are overrated anymore.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larry510

$1 1928A SC

$1 1934 SC

$2 1928G LT

$5 1934C SC

$5 1934D SC

$10 1934C SC

However in recent years prices on some of these have fallen back a little to where they should be so I guess I can't claim they are overrated anymore.

If you are patient and know where to look, these can be found for fairly short money.

How about a thread on under rated notes.

My list of under rated notes:

1928B FRNs

1934 BGS FRNs

How about a thread on under rated notes.

My list of under rated notes:

1928B FRNs

1934 BGS FRNs

Let's not do that. I don't want to tip off everyone what to go after and have more competition. image

• KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Over rated - everything on my want list. You would do yourself a favor by selling them to me.

image ^ image
  • That's hilarious.

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade

All 1896 Silver Certificates.

Super cool notes and so popular, even I want them. Haha.

But, scads known in high grade too.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kirtland Safety Society Notes go for thousands even though they are R1 (common). Early Mormon signatures/connection is why.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • steve42steve42 Posts: 15 ✭✭

Under rated Notes: $5 1950, 1950A, 1950B, 1950C, and 1950D series Silver Certificate Stars in 65 or better from Boston

Steve, do you mean FRNs?

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2016 1:31PM

Can't speak to smalls, but as types, chiefs, buffalos and black eagles esp in lower grades. Extremely popular tho so rarity doesn't drive the price and demand always seems >> supply.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • steve42steve42 Posts: 15 ✭✭

gnat,
    Yes i mean FRN's Sorry for the mistake and thank you for correcting it.

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Top on my list is the 1928 $1 Legal Tender red seals. I had 11. and a half packs in stock all at one time. NOT RARE especially in Unc. (Not a single star in any of the packs!)