Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Long time listener, first time caller

Hello all.

New collector here, started about 12 months ago after surviving a brutal car accident. Have some nerve damage in my hand and arm from the wreck which affects my fine motor skills. Thus I wanted to collect something that wouldn't require me to stare through a magnifying glass for hours just to see a barely legible date. I have learned a lot from perusing the forum, and figured I should jump in.

Like I said, I am new to this. So if I ask a stupid question, please be patient. image

I don't have much to write home about, but I figured I would post some of my notes.

Comments

• welcome aboard!

sorry to hear about the car wreck... glad you're back in action
  • Hello and Welcome monney00. Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you will find a home here. The paper money hobby is growing fast as more interesting aspects are revealed through research, mostly the good research of the members here. The books are a guide but this is the place to get your information. I too gave up on coins as you are correct, it is no fun to have to study your acquisitions under 45x magnification just to find out if you have the real deal or were taken, and sometimes you still don't know!

That said you are lightyears ahead of me on this forum because you have a nice collection and can post photos of them. I still cannot get the hang of how this is done, I mean posting the photos. I have an Apple computer.
  • goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome. I see you have concentrated on U.S. Federal issues, a very noble arena I must say. You've proceeded to purchase a nice representation of different Types and sizes. Once you stop dating around and playing the field, which Types do you seem to favor and settle down with, i.e. Large Size, Small Size brown seals, blue seals, green seals, etc., etc.? I noticed your denomination set of 1929 Federal Reserve Bank Notes and like that. Great collector area. How and where have you been buying your notes?

Again, welcome!
    "Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • Welcome aboard!

Feel free to ask any questions!

Jim
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Originally posted by: goodpaper

Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome. I see you have concentrated on U.S. Federal issues, a very noble arena I must say. You've proceeded to purchase a nice representation of different Types and sizes. Once you stop dating around and playing the field, which Types do you seem to favor and settle down with, i.e. Large Size, Small Size brown seals, blue seals, green seals, etc., etc.? I noticed your denomination set of 1929 Federal Reserve Bank Notes and like that. Great collector area. How and where have you been buying your notes?

Again, welcome!

I have been kind of grabbing anything that caught my eye. Now that I have a number of notes, I definitely like the small size brown seal currency and anything else that is "weird". Hawaii notes, N. Africa notes, stars, etc.

I am focusing on small size for now, as large size notes seem prohibitively expensive for the condition I would like. I also like to get at least one note of each FRN small size denomination design. I find it interesting to see the minor (and major) changes that occurred to the currency through the years.

As far as where I purchase, I have dabbled in eBay, but got burned a couple times with questionable photos hiding suspect condition and by my own naivety to the market. Definitely have overpaid for things that I thought were much more rare than they actually are. Otherwise I have perused local pawn shops and estate sales for notes. Still looking for somewhere easy online that I can view and buy.
  • we all got burned on ebay in the beginning... its a learning process; you can get deals there too from time to time

dont bail on ebay
  • Nice that you have a complete district set for the National Currency. It took me a long time to get my first set complete, the five dollar small size design set. Look at the PCGS registry page to see what makes up sets, it is a good guide to follow even if you don't grade them or mix between grading companies. eBay can be a minefield or a goldmine. I like buying PCGS graded notes for that reason. Raw is tough - note "doctors" can make the pics look good but when you get them graded they fall down under reality. But still can find some good notes. Enjoy, the history of all these notes adds a dimension too, the brown seals have a unique place coming from the depression and the end of the gold standard.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum !!! ??
    Timbuk3
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums. im glad you survived the accident to image
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to Collectors Universe. Nice set of Chicago FRBN's.
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    ????
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Welcome to the forums.... Looks like you have a very nice beginning to a cool collection. Keep at it and ask questions if you have any.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

If you have any questions about paper money, I will be glad to answer them.

Best wishes.
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.

I too like that you have put together a complete denomination as well as district set of FRBNs. FRBNs are very interesting both as a series and their place in history. While buying only PCGS or PMG graded notes will help avoid getting burned on overgraded or doctored material, buying some raw notes will help you hone your own grading skills. Ebay is a great venue for buying notes, but unless you know the reputation of the dealer (and there are several notorious note doctors and over-graders that sell raw notes on eBay with perfect feedback ratings), best to stick with PCGS or PMG notes (or low value - low premium over face raw notes) when buying over the Internet.

Coin shops can often be a good place to find notes, but you should have a very good knowledge of what you are buying and how to grade.

As SmallSizedGuy said, if you have any questions, you will likely get a friendly and knowledgeable response here.
  • Welcome aboard!
  • Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Yes, welcome aboard! I am glad you posted and hope you continue to keep posting here.

There are a lot of people here that know a lot about specific areas and are willing to help with any questions. Remember, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. Please feel free to ask away. We all were beginners at one time or another.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the family, it's a great group of folks here. image
  • dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who will help and advise you. All you have to do is ask.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

collect fractionals!!
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the gang! Don't worry about asking stupid questions. I've been asking them since I started on this board back in 2001! A bunch of specialize in stupid questions AND stupid answers!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    image Have fun and collect notes you like. image
    image Steam Power
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the party! We're all a bunch of serial lunatics!

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are here! Great variety of notes in your initial post.

BTW...are you a Bob and Tom listener? That "Long time listner, first time caller" headline for this thread is straight out of Mr. Obvious.
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Originally posted by: boimre1972

Glad you are here! Great variety of notes in your initial post.

BTW...are you a Bob and Tom listener? That "Long time listner, first time caller" headline for this thread is straight out of Mr. Obvious.

+1 I was thinking the same thing... There are a bunch of Mr. Obvious clips on youtube.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Welcome! There is much to learn and enjoy about collecting currency. Read some of the past posts on this forum as there is a great deal of information there.
    Collector: of low or fancy serial numbers in the 1928 - 1963 era including radars and repeaters, better stars, mules, special serial number ranges, also pre WWII Philippine star notes and low serials as well as low and fancy serials on MPC

Data collection: serial number data of scarce notes in the 1928 to 1963 era - radars, repeaters, scarce stars, mules, and other scarce or rare notes in all types or series & large size 8 digit radars or repeaters
    My email is: HHICL@aol.com
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention, check out BST. There are some nice notes / good deals by forum members.
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! I love the notes you've put together so far-keep it up! Definitely use the BST...if you have a specific note you are looking for,post it there and you just may get a great deal-we look out for our own here.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Thanks all for the warm welcome.

And yes, big bob and Tom fan when I was growing up.

Welcome to the forum! This site is a great source of information on the world of currency. The knowledge base here is incredible, and there are no stupid questions. The best advice I can give someone new to the hobby -start out with small purchases, and enjoy the hobby while you gain the knowledge.

I hope that your recovery is going well.

take care,
    Kevin
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    There is also the Buy and Sell Forum section here
    https://forums.collectors.com/...che=5710988&entercat=y

Originally posted by: monney00
    ...As far as where I purchase, I have dabbled in eBay, but got burned a couple times with questionable photos hiding suspect condition and by my own naivety to the market. Definitely have overpaid for things that I thought were much more rare than they actually are. Otherwise I have perused local pawn shops and estate sales for notes. Still looking for somewhere easy online that I can view and buy.

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Not sure that link is working and when I tried to post it mine didn't work either.
  • Buy Sell Trade

our quaint forum software requires the correct http or https prefix when choosing to post a link
  • Originally posted by: DanCong

Buy Sell Trade

our quaint forum software requires the correct http or https prefix when choosing to post a link

Thanks!
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and have fun!! Only stupid questions are those never asked!!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Although pointed out that the collection is varied, that is one of the fun parts, having a collection of varieties!