Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July - Mail Call - what have you picked up?

13»

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

First solo card, top 2 favorite players, none graded higher, for less than VCP? Sign me up![/IMG]

First solo Topps card, just to clarify. See also, 1972 Veny.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: rugbymarine
    2 Mail call posts in the same month!! That's crazy talk. Here's some back story for this card...

I lived close to Baltimore most of my life. Orioles fan since I can remember being a fan of anything. Moved to Reading, PA a few years ago. About the same time, I started focusing on a few player sets, mostly Oriole greats. Brooks, Frank, Palmer, Boog.

I've always wanted to work on a player set of a player in the 50's, but most of the big guns (Mantle, Jackie, Hank, etc) were a bit too rich for me right now. I found out about a player who was from Reading, PA. He was a VERY good player, but was overshadowed by the great stories of the teams he played for, and also by the numerous stars & HOFers that he played with.

Carl Furillo. Career .299 hitter. 1,058 RBI. 1953 NL batting title (.344) More walks than strikeouts in his career.

Nicknamed the Reading Rifle, he amassed 151 OF assists in 15 playing seasons. For comparison, Carlos Beltran is the active leader with 141, while playing in almost 600 more games than Furillo.

I decided his cards, 1949-55 Bowman & 1956-1960 Topps, in mid grade or higher, with great centering, were a very achievable goal.

I was surprised at first that his basic set had never been requested! I had never requested a set, so I was pumped that I could be the first Furillo collector. Got my hands on a sweet 1951 Bowman PSA 6. So I go to the request page and find out that you need 5 cards to request a set.

Well today, card #5 arrived, the nicest 1955 Bowman PSA 7 Furillo that I've seen since I've been looking for them.

Here they are in the order that I have purchased them. Thanks for reading!

This is really cool. I sometimes look over the set registry and wonder why certain player sets are collected. Nice to hear one of the reasons why.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn

First solo card, top 2 favorite players, none graded higher, for less than VCP? Sign me up![/IMG]

First solo Topps card, just to clarify. See also, 1972 Veny.

I know, that's why I said "first solo Topps" 2 sentences earlier.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ThoseBackPages

Nice pickup Eric!
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catching up on this thread the Henderson and Dr J rcs are fantastic, and that is a clean Piazza to pull from a set! Congrats Mike
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    July pick ups from a recent card show.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    James, those are awesome!
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ToneD

Awesome pick ups fellas. Too numerous to name, but the '56 Aaron and the Rickey/Dr J. cards are amazing. That Aaron has eye appeal off the charts. All the others are no slouches as well. '52's look fantastic when centered nicely. Well done Mike!

This one showed up recently. Just love the card. Really a miniature piece of art.

Another man with impeccable taste in consigned cards. image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Always had a thing for cards with catchers!!

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Got 5 uncut sheets of this newly discovered 1958 set with 4 never before seen Shigeo Nagashima rookies.

• Options
    That 84 Carter is awesome!
  • Options
    That 84 Carter is awesome!

Thanks!! image
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Added 3 signed Goudey HOFers. Brings my total up to 24/50. Shape is a little rough even for my low standards, but still glad to add them as I hadn't picked up any in a while.

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    A couple more for the all time Packers

I know modern is shunned, but I thought the last card looked super cool.

image[/URL]
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
    Slowly but surely upgrading some of my Yogi Berra cards. Had this in a PSA 2 before this arrived:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    this was $1.74

this was $1.25

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were delivered in the last couple weeks while I was out of town working. The Red Heart Billy Martin replaced the slightly off centered one in my set. I will send the 1961 Kaline AS to PSA for crossover.

James

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: galaxy27
    Originally posted by: ToneD
    Awesome pick ups fellas. Too numerous to name, but the '56 Aaron and the Rickey/Dr J. cards are amazing. That Aaron has eye appeal off the charts. All the others are no slouches as well. '52's look fantastic when centered nicely. Well done Mike!

This one showed up recently. Just love the card. Really a miniature piece of art.

Another man with impeccable taste in consigned cards. image

Nice! Thank you kindly and another thanks for consigning the card. It's a beauty. image

Mail day for me today.

• Options
    TBP, Correa is a stud, but I'm fairly certain that card is mislabeled. I'm pretty sure the action variation shows him running the bases.
  • Options
    TBP, Correa is a stud, but I'm fairly certain that card is mislabeled. I'm pretty sure the action variation shows him running the bases.

Yes, it is mislabeled but is an SP none the less. lol
  • Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    So I received 3 of the 4 cards I have been waiting on. 2 large ones have arrived and 1 bucket list item. The 4th is also a bucket list item, but the one I received today is one I have been waiting a long time for as a Braves fan. I negotiated with the seller and got it extremely cheap comparably and did it during 8% bonus bucks. This was result of the 75 sheet that the guy refunded me on. I was initially a bit frustrated...until I landed this:

This Aaron presents super nice - centered, good registration, and an iconic RC. The roller marks do not bother me one bit and corner wear is not too bad. I don't care one bit that it is a 2.5, because this is a card I have wanted for so long! I might even get a bump in this card if I decide to send it in for review. I have some things I am throwing up on ebay to cover costs, but I am gladly giving up some duplicates to pick this thing up!

Then landed these two for lower than VCP. I'm all about the mid-level grades. I can pick up some cards that are iconic without paying current market prices on PSA 7 or higher cards. It also adds two that go along with my HOF RC collection.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    ALL AARON RCS ARE GOOD RCS!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Not the greatest pickups, but just got them in... Probably not even worth submitting them.

Nate

BST References:

DanBessette, lwehlers, Lee17, 07diedrt
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I don't know what I like more, the Mexican Franco or the mantle Griffey double sig!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Thanks the Franco goes well with my Bradshaw 7 and Webster 8, I will take some pics when I get home. I am putting the steelers team set together.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    That's awesome! I'm a pats fan and already have a PSA 8 Hannah. HOFer and patriot mike Haynes has a RC in the set. Maybe I should collect all the pats.

Is there a registry team set? In baseball PSA wouldn't let me create a 1968 Venezuelan Red Sox team set.
  • Options
    Slow month, renovating the man cave. And actually these 2 aren't purchases but rather finds in one of my old boxes untouched since the 90's so they are sorta/kinda like a pick up. Non sport nothing huge, or earth shattering but just fun to have and reminds me why I collect. It's not always about the PSA 10's or future HOF'ers image

• Options
    That Aaron RC is a the best 2.5 I've seen. Congratulations!
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Victor,

I was also rummaging through hidden boxes of stuff and found these odd ball hand cut cards. I doubt PSA would grade these. There was a trading card issued with action figures that were not hand cut.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: thebaseballcardkid

That Aaron RC is a the best 2.5 I've seen. Congratulations!

Thanks, when I saw it, I knew this was the one I needed to pull the trigger on!
  • Options
    This is a little off-topic, but I remember the day my Dad purchased this game for me at Toys R' Us and we would play all night long. Amazing what stirs the emotions and memories nearly 30 years later. And yes, they do grade video games lol

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    Holy crap. I had no idea they graded games.
  • Options
    I apologize in advance to those of you who have seen an almost identical post on another forum. Today is a huge day for my collection and in my euphoria I'm doing some copying and pasting.

I have been working on the '59 Fleer Ted Williams set for a long time. For a good portion of that time, I have been just one card short of complete, needing only the very tough short printed #68. I have known that budget dictates a poor copy, but I have wanted one in a PSA or SGC slab so that I know it's not altered or even counterfeit. PSA 1's don't come up very often and I missed a couple of them. But this week I finally landed what to me is a huge card, and completed my favorite set of all time. This card is in piss poor condition, but IT'S MINE and I love it!

Some of you spend hundreds of dollars on cards all the time, but in my collecting world, $141 is a huge chunk of change. Still, my snipe was even higher, because this was the right card at the right time and I had to have it.

A summary of my journey collecting this set.... In the summer of 2013 I bought my first 3 cards, beaters for $8 total, and I was hooked. Over the next 2 years I chipped away at a raw set, with condition not really a factor. By the end of June, 2015, I had 79 cards and was only missing the SP above. And then everything stalled. My only progress in the past 13 months has been one gorgeous PSA 8 upgrade that was a Christmas gift from Casey (the banished one). The card I needed just wasn't available slabbed but in poor condition. When it was, my snipes were too low. Finally, Tuesday, after 13 months, I completed my set. Final stats: the PSA 1 SP above, the PSA 8 below, and 78 raw cards..... accumulated with $484 over 3 full calendar years. But today I am DONE.

Thanks for looking!!
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a huge pickup!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This card was in my mailbox when I got home Thursday.

James

• Options
    Nice Duke!
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Love everyone's pickups and that graded Nintendo game is awesome! I had no idea there was a video game grading company. I still have my original Nintendo, Duck Hunt gun, and all my games still in a box in my basement. I have no idea if it still even works, but would love to break it out one day and check. I quit games after Sega Genesis in the mid 90's so I know nothing about modern games except that graphics and everything has come a long long way...

I remember being a kid and finally beating Gannon in the original Zelda "golden cartridge" game and thought I was on top of the world lol...I remember having to go to a newsstand about 10 miles from my home to buy the "Nintendo Power" magazine to figure out all the hidden stores where you could "buy" shields, explosives, etc and also to find out where all the castles were to beat all of the bosses....man those were awesome times...loved many other games too but Zelda sticks out...
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two more nice 1972s....

A nice example of a pretty tough 1st series common....

...and Joe Morgan's last Astros card (actually obtained awhile ago but just scanned)!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a couple of 56 Mantle's this month in lower grades, and some unopened items from the 70's I still need to scan.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Wish this was better centered, but glad to finally own one image

• Options
    I love the Micks and Alcindor!
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan - thanks for the note. Was not part of the plan, but figured any chance to pick up some nice Micks might as well pull the trigger. Now I have too many so a couple in my collection get a free all expenses one way trip to AC!
  • Options
    56 Topps is one of my favorite sets of all time, and it's my favorite card in the Mantle basic set.
  • Options
    A few more 84s:
    imageimageimageimage