Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are Clemens cards a waste of time?

Roger Clemens and Derek Jeter are my two favorite athletes ever.

Ive always loved Clemens cards but is it just a horrible investment cuz of the steroid stuff or as time goes on will people kinda "forget" and his cards will reflect he was one of the all time greats?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    im not really sure on their future value potential but I'd say collect what you like.

If you're looking STRICTLY for future value and there is enough uncertainty or doubt
    then I'd probably just spend the money on something more stable (like anything Jordan lol).

• Options
    Cards are not a sound investment. Collect what you like.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a modern card collector, but I believe Clemens' cards have appreciated nicely over the past couple of years. I do think the steroid stigma will fade over time, at least for the more popular players or those that were HOFers even before getting involved with PEDs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    84F is amazing and iconic!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    He'll get in the Hall sooner rather than later. As for a waste of time, if you were/are a fan of Clemens, that question needs no answering.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany Barry Bonds has moved up like 150% in the past two years.

I see no reason that Clemens cards can't move up too. The card I wanted the most ever for years was the 1984 Fleer Update.

• Options
    ChancePChanceP Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: VictorLaszlo
    He'll get in the Hall sooner rather than later. As for a waste of time, if you were/are a fan of Clemens, that question needs no answering.

Not to be overdramatic but him not getting into the hall is one of my biggest disappointments in my sports life. Do you really think he'll get in someday? That would mean Bonds would too I would think cuz theyre connected in that regard obviously as both all time greats whos legacies were forever tarnished.

I always kinda thought Clemens did it because everyone else was and his late career just phenomenal seasons. After it kinda became official that he did I thought back of a few games and spurts where looking back its like yeah he definitely did it. The bat throw at Piazza is suchhhhhhhh a roid move. Although I don't think he really threw the vat "at" piazza I think he was just so jacked up and threw it down like "yeah mofo I just sawed you off." I had $3000 to win $10,500 on the Yankees from the all star break that year and that was one of the most intense moments of my sports betting career. Almost anyone else in baseball (someone of just not iconic status) would have been tossed from that game right there I'll never forget thinking "oh man this guy just got himself thrown out" cuz he was DEALING that post season. The previous game had pitched to that was a complete game 15K 1H shutout in seattle that put them up 3-1 against the Mariners (the year before they won 116 games). That Clemens game was the best game Ive ever seen anyone pitch he was absolutely amazing. That game he threw the bat at Piazza he went 8IP and only gave up 2 hits and no runs. Torre took him out after 8 cuz Piazza was up in the 9th and the Yanks were up 6-0 and he didn't wanna risk anything. Funny tho cuz the Mets scored 5 in the top of the 9th and only lose 6-5.

Anyways, went wayyyyyyy off topic there but I love the moments, just love them.

But you think he'll make the hall someday yeah?
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    My opinion on the borderliners:

Bonds - never
    Clemens, Ortiz and Schilling - 50/50

• Options
    With eligibility now reduced to 10 years from 15 years, Bonds and Clemens better make up some ground quick. This year is a fairly weak ballot overall, so it will be interesting to see if either/both Bonds and Clemens raise their vote % to the point where induction seems at least a possibility. I can't see the veterans' committee inducting either player, so the window is closing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will reiterate what a few people have already said. Collect the cards or players that you like or enjoyed because they bring back good memories for you. That is what a hobby is about. If Clemens is the player you want to collect, and that makes you happy, to me you can't put a price on that.

Happiness is priceless.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    1984 Fleer Update PSA 9/10. I am adding this Clemens to my collection regardless of HOF induction. I collected this stuff as a kid so the memories are just pure fun.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    With eligibility now reduced to 10 years from 15 years, Bonds and Clemens better make up some ground quick. This year is a fairly weak ballot overall, so it will be interesting to see if either/both Bonds and Clemens raise their vote % to the point where induction seems at least a possibility. I can't see the veterans' committee inducting either player, so the window is closing.

Last year both picked up about 8% of the vote and if that could be sustained it would take them 4 of their 6 years remaining to make it. With the weak '17 class and 2018-20 only having 1 first ballot shoe in per year I see it happening within 4 years. It would be much easier with 15 years but despite the rule change I think it's still a safe bet.

Speaking of which I will put my money so to speak behind this idea. I will try to build the greatest Clemens unopened pack collection out there and try to win the 1984 Fleer update and 1986 Topps Tiffany traded best registry set awards by the year they are inducted!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Originally posted by: rtimmer

Originally posted by: grote15

Last year both picked up about 8% of the vote and if that could be sustained it would take them 4 of their 6 years remaining to make it. With the weak '17 class and 2018-20 only having 1 first ballot shoe in per year I see it happening within 4 years. It would be much easier with 15 years but despite the rule change I think it's still a safe bet.

Speaking of which I will put my money so to speak behind this idea. I will try to build the greatest Clemens unopened pack collection out there and try to win the 1984 Fleer update and 1986 Topps Tiffany traded best registry set awards by the year they are inducted!

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with that projection, but there is a segment of the voters that will not vote for either Clemens or Bonds under any circumstances because they cheated, which is a bit different from a player like Blyleven or Rice who gained support and recognition over a period of time before attaining induction. It will be interesting to see if there is a "ceiling" for either/both Bonds and Clemens as far as voting percentage goes.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The majority of the 8% gain came from the HOF culling the herd of voters. If I recall correctly, the raw vote support didn't change that much. With the weak 2017 class, Bonds and Clemens need to get to around 55% to give them a decent shot at getting in.
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree. Whatever percentage gain these steroid cheaters get will level off and flatten well below the required votes. The voters will soften with time but won't get enough.
    Bonds, Mcguire, Clemens, Schilling, Palmero, and Sosa will never get in. Especially Mcguire and Bonds who outright lied to fans in their faces. And continue to lie or avoid the subject. Playing us as if we're stupid. There are writers who are very distraught that they voted in someone that they now think used. They're not going to be embarrassed again. And will lean towards voting no versus voting yes and getting it wrong.

Only buy the card for collecting sake and memories. Not as an investment. Otherwise its dead money.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would Schilling be mentioned in the list of steroid users? The reasons for him not being in the HOF have nothing to do with steroid/HGH suspicions.
  • Options
    PSA 10 Barry Bonds RC have significantly climbed in value over the past 6 months. The 1987 Fleer Glossy was a $100 max at the start of the year and is now in the $150-$160 range. I see a couple of regular Topps Traded RCs in the $60-$70 range when it was at $38 as recently as April/May.

So I wouldn't call Clemens dead money as an investment. It is definitely risky, but the potential return is there if he gets in.
    Mike
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Just like others have stated. If your looking for "investment" cards then maybe he's not your cup of tea. But if he's a favorite of yours, collect away and if his stuff goes up great....if not, who cares.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    Sorry I put Schilling on the the list because I recall he was on the Congressional panel where it turned out everyone was lying except Conseco who was telling the truth. True that Schilling has enough going against him of ever getting into the Hall. He did say Boston tried to get him to use PEDs. True, no proof but also true that I find it hard to believe the things that come out of his mouth. My point being the alleged steroid users don't have much of a chance of getting in. And collect your favorite because he is your favorite. Thats the point. Not Schilling specifically. Specifically, Bonds, Clemens and Mcquire don't have a chance.
    I wouldn't put one cent of an investment dollar into them versus all of the others safer "investments". But you shouldn't be investing in cardboard is what my father tells me.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭
    If you were putting down $3K on a futures bet, why hesitate to buy a few nicely graded Clemens?

I have a bit of a different take on McGwire and Sosa. Although I wouldn't vote for either one to make the hall, I look at them as extremely important figures in baseball history. For someone like me who became disillusioned with baseball after the 1994 strike, that home run chase brought be back. They cheated, but they were also influential in restoring popularity to the sport.

As a Bash Bros fan, I'm a bit biased toward McGwire. Although his non-admission/non-denial in front of congress was totally lame, he didn't come off like a complete jacka$$ as Sosa (pretending not to understand English) or Palmeiro (insert finger point here).
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    It is never a waste of time to collect baseball cards, unless your goal is in all cases to make money
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    would the 84 fleer update be the card to go after? does anyone have an idea of the print run on that card?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 9adam77

would the 84 fleer update be the card to go after? does anyone have an idea of the print run on that card?

No idea on print run. If I were getting a Clemens I'd get the 84 Fleer Update in PSA 10 or the 85 Topps Tiffany in PSA 10. Possibly hedge and get both. Clemens will get in the HOF.

• Options

No idea on print run. If I were getting a Clemens I'd get the 84 Fleer Update in PSA 10 or the 85 Topps Tiffany in PSA 10. Possibly hedge and get both. Clemens will get in the HOF.

A long time before you could believe everything on the internet, I recall a dealer at the large Jim Hawkins Plymouth MI show told a much younger version of me that the print run of the 1984 Fleer Update sets was around 35K. I don't know if that is true but the number that have surfaced and lack of unopened cases makes me think that 35K isn't too far off the mark.
    Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ndleo

A long time before you could believe everything on the internet, I recall a dealer at the large Jim Hawkins Plymouth MI show told a much younger version of me that the print run of the 1984 Fleer Update sets was around 35K. I don't know if that is true but the number that have surfaced and lack of unopened cases makes me think that 35K isn't too far off the mark.

Buy them before the buying group gets them!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Buy them before the buying group gets them!

Dan - Feel free to ignore my posts. I won't be hurt.

Mike
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Topps tiffany PSA 10s are very expensive, probably his "best" card in terms of value/price

84 fleer update is next. 85 topps is actually a much tougher in a 10 based on the pop reports and "likelihood" of a hitting a 10.

an underrated one is probably 85 leaf, actually a pretty rare card.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    The majority of the 8% gain came from the HOF culling the herd of voters. If I recall correctly, the raw vote support didn't change that much. With the weak 2017 class, Bonds and Clemens need to get to around 55% to give them a decent shot at getting in.

Oh shoot I didn't take into account the change in the voters, I agree they need 55% next year for me to feel good about their making it.

Well only time will tell until then let the investments continue. It could be a bad idea as many have said but I guess that's what makes a market and hopefully I can get some better deals than if everyone agreed they'd make it. If anyone wants to sell something nice from either Clemens or Bonds just send me a PM.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
  • Options
    That Brady card blows my mind.

Ichiro also has an x/1250 card from the SP Authentic set, same year, same grade, that sells for 500 bucks. And Ichiro has a strong international following!

Demand for Brady exceeds that of Ichiro? I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SOM
    That Brady card blows my mind.

Ichiro also has an x/1250 card from the SP Authentic set, same year, same grade, that sells for 500 bucks. And Ichiro has a strong international following!

Demand for Brady exceeds that of Ichiro? I just don't get it.

Tom Brady is Tom Brady. If there is any guy that someone could die and come back as it is him.

Not shocking his cards bring big money.

• Options

They're at it again, Dan!

I have a deep rooted fear of "they."
  • Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    As a kid, the 1984 Fleer Update Clemens, as well as the Gooden, was a holy grail card. Great items.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    Amen on Brady.... The Stud of all Studs with 4 rings!
    On Clemens..... At what point does low pop play into the value for him? 85 Topps 10's are tough
  • Options
    I thought the one with is autograph ticket is his rookie card or something similar. Which card is Brady's rookie card?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The SP Auth mentioned/linked to above is his RC for the Future HOF/HOF registry.
  • Options
    All of the serial #'d Brady's did well in the last PWCC auction. It seems like the 500-1500 numbered copies are in the $500 range, with the lesser print runs $1000+, and the less than 100 print over $2000.

Considering Brady wasn't in a lot of products such as Topps and Topps Chrome, those prices don't seem that crazy. The PSA 10 pop of those card are relatively very low.

Mike
  • Options
    'It seems like the 500-1500 numbered copies are in the $500 range'

As of 6:30 p.m. PDT July 27, they are now in the $13,000 range

• Options
    'It seems like the 500-1500 numbered copies are in the $500 range'

As of 6:30 p.m. PDT July 27, they are now in the $13,000 range

Ha! I shop in the blue light special area of the PWCC auctions! I should have said the non-SPA or non-SPX.
    Mike
  • Options
    LefthanderLefthander Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Clemens was a drug cheater who will never be elected to the Hall of Fame. Why anyone would want to collect cards of a cheater is beyond me.