Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

News story of postal worker stealing sports cards

So I finally read last weeks sunday paper and saw this article.

Link to referenced story.

http://www.masslive.com/news/b...es_former_us_post.html

I did not have anything of mine stolen and in no way am I trying to defame any postal workers who may be on these forums.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Probation?? That is a felony!!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Not only just probation, but steal $68,000.00 and pay restitution of only $11,000.00? Seems to me that the judge is encouraging other dishonest postal workers to do the same thing. If you get caught you are still ahead of the game!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    Not only just probation, but steal $68,000.00 and pay restitution of only $11,000.00? Seems to me that the judge is encouraging other dishonest postal workers to do the same thing. If you get caught you are still ahead of the game!

Exactly what I'm running into with my "lost" package to PWCC. I've talked to the Office of the Inspector General, Consumer affairs and tried to file a complaint. I even filed a police report but since the package is listed as "lost", they can't do anything.

The answer I keep getting from USPS is "sorry for losing your package, please file an insurance claim".
  • bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    If you look many of the cards were recovered. The restitution amount is value of the cards not recovered. That being said this lady should be in jail. With the job she has now I will assume she ends up paying $20 monthly installments for the rest of her life. Total joke.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Good article by D'Angelo
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did she identify the package contents?
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SOM
    Good article by D'Angelo

+1

Bob's really good people.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    "How did she identify the package contents?"

I am always amazed at the moronic return addresses that even sophisticated dealers put on their packages. "Joe's Baseball Cards" on the top line, and then the address.

Sure makes a thief's life easier!
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SOM
    "How did she identify the package contents?"

I am always amazed at the moronic return addresses that even sophisticated dealers put on their packages. "Joe's Baseball Cards" on the top line, and then the address.

Sure makes a thief's life easier!

Yeah, PSA and PWCC are both very good with that.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    When you send cards to PWCC, PROBSTEIN, etc, do you put their name on the package?

If I were auctions houses I'd use a different, generic, name on my correspondences as a level of security. A crook can always google PWCC on their smartphone and know that they are likely dealing with a valuable package.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: djr
    I was met with the same 'arrogance' recently, when a postal worker forged my signature on a Registered insured $25k+ package and left on doorstep image

I remember you mentioning that a couple months ago and that's just crazy for someone to do that. Luckily you still got your package.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

+ 1
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: heritage

+ 1

I think quite a few of the cards were recovered. The $11.000 is to cover the value of the card that the thief sold.

James
  • BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Complete bs that there's no jail time involved here.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    bCubs and James - Sorry, I didn't read the actual article, just the clip that the OP posted.

That being said, financially she is no worse off now than if she didn't steal the cards. Some deterrent, huh?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    She worked at the post office in Jamaica Plain; Jamaica Plain is one of the towns that borders my town (Brookline). That being said, good thing she didn't work at the Brookline post office!
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least she lost her job.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    This is my worst nightmare. I use usps all the time but via register mail only and knock on wood everything has gone smooth that way.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like this woman came out with the better end of the deal all the way around...no jail time and she don't have to work for the PO anymore!
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Brick

At least she lost her job.
    If she or others who commit these crimes have a pension, the authorities should tap into them for proper restitution, if the felon does not have the funds on hand to do so.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

Perhaps she didn't.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2

Originally posted by: PaulMaul

Perhaps she didn't.

Likely by the address googled on her smartphone.
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often

Getting caught or the stealing?
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • This happens more than people think. It's not just cards either. Locally a couple months ago they got a carrier for taking birthday/various greeting cards. He'd take the cash but would re-seal ones with checks. I also heard about one with sports cards where the carrier would take the cards and dump them at shows. Forget where it was but the guy got busted at a show.

As far as jail time yes she should get a little out of it. I think it's along the lines of the carrier taking the cash the system isn't going to spend the money taking it all the way. They offer a plea deal and save the time and money. Besides some states have theft dollar amounts like hers relatively low end felonies. So they figure plea early and save time and money as opposed to stretching it out and her only getting 6-18 months in jail.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "Every day I get up and go (to work), I know I messed up my life,” McLaren told the court before her sentencing, according to a story on MassLive.

She should've got jail time for such a lame comment to the court. How about an I am so sorry my actions caused so much hardship for everyone involved.
    She is scum and always will be scum. Her siblings that participated are cut from the same cloth unless they really thought sis was all of a sudden big into sports cards.

Found this from an article from sportscollectorsdaily-I'd say she got off too light-
    "The charge of mail theft by a postal employee provides for a sentence of no greater than five years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of $250,000 and restitution.Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. Sentences are imposed by a federal district court judge based upon the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors."
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Probation with full court supervised restitution might make sense, but I wonder how they established exactly what she took and it's value, and at what point in time. If someone stole a PSA 9 Rose or Clemente six months ago and went to trial this week, what would be the value of the restitution...the value when stolen ? value she got selling it ? last sale price in current market ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    She most likely noticed the cost of the postage (if it was displayed on the label).

If she was carrying a one pound priority medium box and sees $400 of postage on the box she might reasonably assume there is something worth several thousands of dollars inside.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    This is the People's Republic of Boston. If you're not a liberal weenie and actually have the audacity to go hard on felons, you're branded as a racist, sexist, and/or worse, a conservative (and most likely Republican).

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    FYI, I live in West Roxbury. Right next to Jamaica Plain.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of jail time is insane. White collar crimes have to start carrying more jail time to discourage others. This has become a big problem for the Post Office and they should have pushed harder for some jail time, even if just a month it would have sent a stronger message.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭
    I always heard it was up to nine years in the federal pen for each piece of mail you do something wrong to. I guess I was wrong?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to have a CU "hitman" - his name was pandrews.

He woulda taken her out for just an RC cola and a moon pie.
    Mike