Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

New $1 1928A SC/Funnyback addition

This is something that is normally out of my wheelhouse. 1928A from the tougher I-B block. I saw it for sale and liked how it was PMG pop 2/0. If you combine the PCGS and PMG numbers it is 3/0. No 67's have been graded at either company. Thanks Centurial Collectibles! Anyone looking for some nice small size notes check them out as they have a lot of good stuff for sale.

Comments

• Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    That's a looker! Congrats! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice note, and a tough 1928A block.
  • Luckybucks,

Was this printed in 1934 or 1935?
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!!!
  • JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    Your note was numbered in 1935.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Interesting. Was there a period when they were printing 1928A, B, C, D, E and 1934 all at the same time?
    Yes, 1935, but I will add a bit of interesting info.

The last HB notes, and I00000001B to I01224000B were numbered between 8/1/34 and 8/8/34 (alongside 1934 $1 AA notes (printed 6/27/34 to 11/8/34).

After August 8, 1934, there were no more series 1928x $1 notes for the rest of 1934. All $1 production was series 1934.

Sometime in early 1935, series 1928x $1 notes resumed again, and completed the IB block April 10, 1935. The JB notes were printed 4/10/35 to 5/28/35. Both of these blocks were printed alongside series 1934 $1 BA (11/8/34 to 5/29/35).

Interestingly, series 1934 $1 CA production began the very next day after the 1928x series $1 notes ceased. The 1934 CA's lasted until July 19, 1935.
  • Thanks for the great research! Was the continuation of the 1928 notes well after the 1934 were underway just to get more use out of the older plates?
    When the BEP commenced production of 1934 $1s in June 1934, Treasury decided to continue issuing any available stocks of 1928 $1s. These stocks included finished notes (numbered and sealed) and unfinished sheets (having only faces and backs). Use of 1928-series $1 plates ceased in August 1934.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
    Love this stuff! I love the behind the scenes stories! image
  • Originally posted by: larry510
    This is something that is normally out of my wheelhouse. 1928A from the tougher I-B block. I saw it for sale and liked how it was PMG pop 2/0. If you combine the PCGS and PMG numbers it is 3/0. No 67's have been graded at either company. Thanks Centurial Collectibles! Anyone looking for some nice small size notes check them out as they have a lot of good stuff for sale.

Thanks Larry -You have a great eye for the good stuff .
    Centurialcollectibles.com

EBAY SELLER ID CENTURYCOLL
    Ebay Auctions
    Darn this thread! I found something that I like on Big Money's website too!!!
    Originally posted by: Jamericon

When the BEP commenced production of 1934 $1s in June 1934, Treasury decided to continue issuing any available stocks of 1928 $1s. These stocks included finished notes (numbered and sealed) and unfinished sheets (having only faces and backs). Use of 1928-series $1 plates ceased in August 1934.

Nice to know Jamie.

So the 1935 printings of the 1928x $1's, were the result of left over sheets ?

• Originally posted by: luckybucks

Originally posted by: Jamericon

Nice to know Jamie.

So the 1935 printings of the 1928x $1's, were the result of left over sheets ?

I figured it was just to use up the plates which hadn't worn out but sounds like it might have been the leftover sheets.

Kind of crazy how six different series of $1 silvers were essentially being released at the same time for circulation! And then the 1935 plain came shortly after.

• Originally posted by: Tookybandit

Darn this thread! I found something that I like on Big Money's website too!!!

Yeah I know. I found two notes so far and there are a couple of others that I am eyeing up. I love a good selection of high grade small size notes like that!
    Here is your note's little sister.

Referring to larry's post just above, what a time to have been a modern small size collector. That is what intrigues me about that era. It was very realistic to assemble entire sets of 1928, 1929, 1933, 1934, and 1935 series notes, with all of their stars, and in high grade, right out of circulation.

Just imagine getting a 1928C, D, or E $1 star in change back in the day. And don't forget about the 1934 series $1 notes that accidentally got series 1928 seals and serial numbers from the HB block.

Once silver certificates were being printed under requirements of the Gold Reserve Act (the Series of 1934s, which were backed by silver bullion, and legal tender for all transactions), the BEP very quickly ceased printing sheets from 1928-series plates. In this case, they were simply following the law, so it didn't matter how many 1928-series plates were still serviceable.

However, Treasury policy was to continue issuing stocks of finished 1928-series notes, and also to number, seal, and issue printed but incomplete 1928-series sheets. This was mainly to keep supply meeting demand until sufficient quantities of 1934 notes were printed.

I have a very interesting document from June 20, 1934, from William Broughton, director of the Public Debt Service, to Henry Oliphant, the treasury's counsel, that clearly defined how the Treasury handled the switch from 1928-series $1s to 1934s. If I have some free time soon, I'll type it up in a post on these boards.
  • Did I hear Larry mention high grade-

Although a common block PCGS has 2/69

H-A Block and M-A Block

PMG has 3/68 D-B, G-A, Z-A

Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well.
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    I actually saw that IB block note and considered pulling the trigger. My only Fr. 1601...

• My best common block example and star:

Great notes! Love this thread image
  • larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Anyone have a 1601 JB block in CU to post?
  • BigmoneyBigmoney Posts: 39 ✭✭

I will be adding a lot of Silvers by block over the next few weeks to my site. I purchased a really nice collection. The collection was about 20-30 notes from being complete.

Centurialcollectibles.com

EBAY SELLER ID CENTURYCOLL
    Ebay Auctions
  • larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Excellent!

• mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    Nice note Larry and of course the other small SC are awesome as well. The JB block is not easy to find.

These early SC's are my favorites!

How about more star notes???