Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Fleer Experts- Cards In Hand Update

I just closed a deal for 80 boxes of junk wax. In the deal I am getting 6 89 Fleer Cello boxes and a case of 89 Fleer Racks. I'm curious how to know if it is the Ripken FF cases or a later run. I do not have it in hand yet as I will pick up the deal tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any info or links you have that will assist.

Ok so I have the cases in hand. I have a 6 box sealed wax case, rack case, 3 loose wax boxes, and the 6 cello boxes are in the original case box. So for example on the wax case the #41199-00413, cello 41199-00588, rack 41199-00590 A. Do these help me determine error cases or not or do I need to bust open a box to tell? Thanks for the help.

#CROWNED
#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
#FIREDAYTONMOORE

Comments

• tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BeRoyalKC
    I just closed a deal for 80 boxes of junk wax. In the deal I am getting 6 89 Fleer Cello boxes and a case of 89 Fleer Racks. I'm curious how to know if it is the Ripken FF cases or a later run. I do not have it in hand yet as I will pick up the deal tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any info or links you have that will assist.

#CROWNED

You can't tell by the individual boxes, only by the outside case
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say you'd be able to figure it out by opening them.

Seriously though, there's no way to tell just from the outside of the boxes. From what I can recall from years ago, supposedly the serial numbers on the outside of the sealed cases held some indicators of when the cards were printed.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Remember to only buy them if they're labeled FASFFC.
  • I kind of figured on the loose cello boxes but was hoping the rack case would have some clues. I hate opening these rare packs only to find the black box version.?? I use the word rare like others use "pack fresh".
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Originally posted by: tsalems1
    Originally posted by: BeRoyalKC

#CROWNED

You can't tell by the individual boxes, only by the outside case

Tom, package arrived today. THANK YOU!
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Bump
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the numbers you listed would help (those are product codes printed on the side of the case), I believe there's a 5-digit number stamped in black ink on the outside of each case... if it begins with '83' then it will contain the FF error (there could be others, but the 83 is certain). I don't think there's any other correlation between that stamped number and the other variations of that card (or Randy Johnson's).

Edit;corrected info.
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see a pic of the score! That's awesome!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • The boxes don't have numbers like that. I went ahead and looked through the cellos and have one with Randy Johnson Black Box on front and the site I found info about that said that variation is in the Ripken error run. Totaled out 10 wax, 6 cello, and a rack case. Maybe I'll bust a few of the loose wax boxes to see what comes out.
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, not sure I've heard about the identifying stamp being on cello or rack cases. Here's an example of stamp on a wax case:

• Originally posted by: curch
    I would love to see a pic of the score! That's awesome!

I'm terrible with pics but all told there were 82 unopened boxes. The 89 F above, 86-90 Topps, 88-90 D, 4 sportsflics, 89-91 Bowman, etc. 90-92 UD various sports. Mostly junk wax. Also 5 82 T grocery racks and 2 81 T racks. Probably 200 loose wax and racks from similar years as well. I paid $400 which was about $5 a box and the other random packs as throw ins. I will flip off most, make a few bucks but mainly add inventory to my collection for free. I always drooled looking at those shelves of packs in card shops as a kid. Now I'm building my own. My wife doesn't share the same love of unopened boxes as I do though ??
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Originally posted by: baz518
    Yeah, not sure I've heard about the identifying stamp being on cello or rack cases. Here's an example of stamp on a wax case:

I will check the 6 box case when I get home. I did not see any numbering like that on the cello or rack case though. You are correct there.
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Great deal! I collect this kind of wax too! It's a lot of fun!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KbKards

Remember to only buy them if they're labeled FASFFC.

Okay, you made me spit out my coffee. Thanks a lot. image
  • I bought a six box Fleer 1989 case and a rack case from BBCE a few years back and the serial numbers had 41198 if I recall. Didn't hit one Ripken or Johnson error. They were all the black box and Marlboro blacked out corrections. A buddy of mine picked up a rack case with the same serial numbers and hit the Ripken and Johnson errors. There is no telling, it's just weird. I've opened 1988 Topps wax cases with different numbers on them and pulled the Leiter and Joyner errors in both. There was the Comstock error in one, but not the other. Have a few cases of 1989 Topps laying around and thinking about opening them looking for the Ed Hearn error. If it really exists.
  • The 1989 fleer the last writer wrote about all have the 41198 in big letters on top. The serial number that is important is the small 5 digit stamped code, that a previous writer had a pic of. The 5 digit code is as follows: FIRST NUMBER 8 OR 9,,SIGNIFIES 8=1988 YEAR PRODUCED (1989 FLEER) 9= 1989 YEAR (1989 FLEER) THE NEXT NUMBERS ARE THE DAY OF THE YEAR. EXAMPLE 016 WOULD BE THE 16TH DAY OF THE YEAR (january 16, 1989). 036 WOULD BE 36TH DAY OF THE YEAR (FEBRUARY 5)

IF YOU GET AN 8 THEN 365 IT WOULD BE PRODUCED 1988 ON THE LAST DAY OF THE YEAR DECEMBER 31ST.
    THE LAST NUMBER IS NUMBER ONE OR NUMBER TWO. THAT IS THE FACTORY NUMBER OR THE SHIFT NUMBER.
    SO 83651 WOULD BE PRODUCED DECEMBER 31ST 1988 AT FACTORY #1.

NOW I SELL ON EBAY AND I AM EXPERIENCED WITH THE 1989 FLEER, THE JOHNSON MARLBORO ERROR SHOULD
    BE PRODUCED IN NOVEMBER OF 1988 MAYBE EARLY DECEMBER. SO YOU COUNT ON THE CALENDAR TO NOV 1ST OR SO AND YOU CAN FIGURE OUT THE NUMBER CASE CODE FOR JOHNSON. SAME AS RIPKEN FF. I OPENED A CASE DATE 90191,,( JANUARY 19 1989) IT HAD THE RIPKEN FF,,BUT THE JOHNSON WAS ALMOST FIXED HAD SLIGHT RED TINT. PUBLICATIONS SAY JANUARY 16 OR 17TH WAS THE CUTOFF IT WASNT.
    NOW WHATS REALLY IMPORTANT, THE HARDEST VERSION (WHITEOUT RIPKEN FF) IS UP IN THE AIR THE PRODUCTION DATE. I HEARD AND SAW ADS IN RACK PACKS NOT WAX CASES. BUT WHO KNOWS?.
    ANY QUESTIONS? BLUESTUFF6 AT AOL.COM OR CALL 631-960-5750.