Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

*SALE* NEW - Grademaster Card Centering Tool FOR SALE - UPDATE, Now includes Ebay Listings....

Schultz24Schultz24 Posts: 202 ✭✭
Fellow Forumites,

About a month ago there was a thread going around which had a discussion about a tool to check centering when deciding which cards to send in to our hosts. Some of the forum members said that there used to be some sort of a tool to do this, but they haven't seen it for years. During the discussion, it was mentioned by multiple members that if someone were to make this tool, that they would be interested in purchasing one or multiple for themselves or friends/colleagues. I am here today to say that your requests have been answered! After much design, testing, and a few glasses of scotch along the way, I have created the Grademaster Card Centering Tool. While it probably isn't exactly the same as whatever device used to be out there, it does what collectors are asking for which is estimate the centering on your standard sized collectible cards before sending them in to be graded. Even with TPG grading being a somewhat subjective measure, this tool will give you a very accurate idea whether you should send in your cards or not. Extensive testing has shown this tool to be very close and often exactly the same as the ruler method of centering estimation, but at a fraction of the time to take the measurement. This will no doubt save you loads of time and hopefully money when evaluating the stacks of cards that I know you all do on a daily basis. The proprietary tool and calculator are encased in thick laminate to ensure many years of use. I have put copies of my tool on the 'Bay for $15.99 shipped, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/301825300308?), Forum members will receive a discount and be able to purchase it for $14.50 shipped. If you would like 1, or multiple, please send funds via Paypal Friends and Family to schultz24@hotmail.com. If you are uncomfortable with F&F, please either purchase on the 'Bay or add .50 ($15.00) to account for the fees. If you are interested in bulk orders, please contact me for pricing. Thanks for looking and please email with any questions you might have!

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/side by side_zpsdvchxny2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/in package_zpsvhps0nru.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Grademaster Card Centering Tool is Copyright 2015 by BAK Products LLC.

Thanks again for your continued interest!

Link to all Ebay listings... http://www.ebay.com/sch/schultz24/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Comments

• kencopekencope Posts: 416 ✭✭
    Are there instructions on how to use it?
  • Pretty sweet! Might have to pick one up...
  • I'll plan to put some instructions in the packages from now on, but basically you center up any standard size card in the window, read the numbers of the lines on either side, and then find the centering from those numbers off of the attached chart. I think the TPG's use the worst centering on the card either top to bottom or left to right so if one is obviously less centered than the other, you probably only need to take that measurement as your guage of how the graders would percieve it. Thanks for looking and also thanks to those who have put in orders already! I really appreciate it.
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    This is great. I want one. What is the paypal address?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Schultz24@hotmail.com

Thanks!
  • Originally posted by: kencope

Are there instructions on how to use it?

You should post some pics of the tool "in-action".
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    "The proprietary Grademaster Card Centering Tool and calculator...."

"Grademaster Card Centering Tool is Copyright 2015 by BAK Products LLC"

Do you really have a copyright on this?

• MULLINS5,

You might be surprised, but I actually do own a copyright on my work which is basically automatic upon creation of the work and after it is fixed into a medium (printed and/or saved digitally among other things). As excerpted from multiple internet sources and the copyright office:

"Article 5(2) of the Berne Convention explicitly states that the enjoyment and the exercise of copyright shall not be subject to any formality (specific registering and/or the copyright symbol). The granting of copyright on a work is automatic upon creation of that work".

"Most European countries, on the other hand, follow the principle that copyright protection is granted automatically upon creation of the work. This principle was first laid down in the Berne Convention (1886). The Berne Convention specifically forbids (in article 5) that a member country can require any formality for getting copyright protection.
    In 1989, the Berne Convention became effective in the USA, and from that moment on also US authors automatically obtained copyright on their works."

Thanks for your concernimage

Originally posted by: Schultz24
    MULLINS5,

You might be surprised, but I actually do own a copyright on my work which is basically automatic upon creation of the work and after it is fixed into a medium (printed and/or saved digitally among other things). As excerpted from multiple internet sources and the copyright office:

"Article 5(2) of the Berne Convention explicitly states that the enjoyment and the exercise of copyright shall not be subject to any formality (specific registering and/or the copyright symbol). The granting of copyright on a work is automatic upon creation of that work".

"Most European countries, on the other hand, follow the principle that copyright protection is granted automatically upon creation of the work. This principle was first laid down in the Berne Convention (1886). The Berne Convention specifically forbids (in article 5) that a member country can require any formality for getting copyright protection.
    In 1989, the Berne Convention became effective in the USA, and from that moment on also US authors automatically obtained copyright on their works."

Thanks for your concernimage

But isn't this a derivative work?

• This can be copyrighted, that just means that no one can create exact copies of this (or ones very very similar). However, others can create other centering tools or ones a lot like this, it just can't be this exact one, or a close derivative.

He doesn't hold a patent, but a copyright does indeed come "by virtue of creation".
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• When will the "reprints" hit the market?
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    pm sent to you about these.

thanks
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    An engineer in our midst.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious if we can get an example on measuring the card. Please PM me if you do not wish to post here. Thanks!
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    PM Sent.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • DialJ,

I pm'd and emailed you for your address. Please send it to me when you get a chance so I can send out your centering tool.

Everyone else.....No need to wait, order yours today!!!
  • Thanks to everyone who has purchased my product! For everyone who hasn't, I would certainly appreciate your business! TTT!
  • Originally posted by: wilkiebaby11
    This can be copyrighted, that just means that no one can create exact copies of this (or ones very very similar). However, others can create other centering tools or ones a lot like this, it just can't be this exact one, or a close derivative.
    He doesn't hold a patent, but a copyright does indeed come "by virtue of creation".

Then why even bother. A bit facetious. But It doesn't seem that if provides much protection at all.In this case it seems everyone can pretty much "borrow" this idea from each other with just a minor variation.
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    How much for shipping 2 of them?
  • The cost for 2 will be $19.50 shipped. Thanks a bunch for your consideration!
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    Payment & PM Sent
    Originally posted by: thebaseballcardkid

Originally posted by: wilkiebaby11

This can be copyrighted, that just means that no one can create exact copies of this (or ones very very similar). However, others can create other centering tools or ones a lot like this, it just can't be this exact one, or a close derivative.

Then why even bother. A bit facetious. But It doesn't seem that if provides much protection at all.In this case it seems everyone can pretty much "borrow" this idea from each other with just a minor variation.

All you have to do is change the font.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it really matter if he has a copyright or not? He is selling a tool to help measure the centering of card. Either you want one or you don't. if you don't like this one make your own, patent it and sell it. If you don't plan to do that, drop the issue and let the man sell his. Actually, why not drop the issue either way and let the man sell his?

James
  • Thanks James,

I was also kind of wondering why I deserved all the somewhat negative press. I simply made something others wanted and wasn't available. It took quite a bit of time to perfect actually and I certainly won't be retiring off of it. Thanks again for everyone's business who already placed an order. There are certainly more available if anyone else is interested.

• The one guy on here has a reputation of being negative.

I wasn't being negative at all. Its a legitimate question. If anyone can legally make a minor change and sell it as his own then why even get a patent or copyright or whatever you want to call it? Just produce it and sell it. Good luck and more power to you. I need one but theres one reason I don't.

I think its a legitimate question as to why bother. Just sell it. As you say "does it really matter?" No ones going to sue you. And don't let the trolls get you down.
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    I ordered 2 of these for me and a friend. Just wanted to let everyone know that they were shipped securely,quickly and work great!

Thanks for all the quick responses To my questions Nick if you read this.

• Bump and thanks for the great review!
  • Bump!
  • ToadManToadMan Posts: 219 ✭✭
    pm sent
  • Bump
  • TTT!
  • SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    I would like to order a couple. I sent you a PM.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • I have one of the originals and use it every time. It's a great tool to have when it comes to centering.
  • Can you ship to Ontario, Canada?? If so how much??

TommyJ
  • Shipping and Handling to Ontario is right about $4. Just sent a set to another location in Canada for that so it should be similar. Thanks a bunch for your interest, and thanks again to everyone who purchased my product so far.
  • Payment sent...thanks.

TommyJ
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Received mine and it works great. Thanks for making these available.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I got one and it's a very nice product. Good luck with sales.
    Steve
  • Bump!
  • SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    I ordered a couple and tried them out. Works great. It will save me a lot of time not having to measure the borders like I did before. Thanks for making the product available.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • Bump!!
  • Got the tool, works great thanks.
    TommyJ
  • Still taking orders! Thanks to all!
  • Bump!!
  • TTT!
  • Still requesting your business!! Thanks again!
  • I've got a bunch of tool sets ready to be sent out. I'm Looking forward to your business!! Thanks!
  • TTT, you know you want one....Thanks for your business!!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    One ordered

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Just ordered one image Have the original, but keep misplacing it image