Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

New World Submission Results

Here are some cool ones:

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic grades, and I love the Gypsy! Congrats Tiger!

• Way to go, Tiger! Great notes and really great grades!! image

Saint Pierre & Miquelon has always been a favorite of mine. It's such a neat little place; it's called "Where France meets North America".

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Tiger, those are some nice grades on your World banknotes. Congrats! image

And yes, I did see the -61.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2017 11:33PM
    John, nice to see some of the notes we talked about the other day. BTW, John and I live about 30 miles from each other so I got a little heads up on his submission. image

Appears you have a knack for tracking down gem notes.

Tigers' promised me some pictures by email with a few notes we have in common. One is a Japan 5 yen replacement note which I sold him, part of a consecutive pair I had. Another is a consecutive pair of 100 peso JIM replacements he owned in which I traded for one. He left poorer after his visit. image
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Well Danny, here are some you mentioned:

And a few from China you didn't: (these are all replacement although note noted on the holder)

image (the remnants are very minor)

edited March 25, 2017 11:46PM
    John, guess you need to be specific for correct attribution on your notes.

They goofed on that 1st note pictured. It is not a Philippines-Japanese Government, that did belong on the 100 pesos JIM note. image

On the China/Manchukuo notes they SHOULD have the "Replacement Note" notation on them.

Attribution line for the 1 yuan should be SCWPM #J130b; them Schwan-Boling #SB42br {the replacement qualifier}
    Block #377 Serial #1018982

100 yuan SCWPM #J138b; Schwan-Boling #SB75br
    Block #26; Serial #1016405

100 yuan SCWPM #J138a; Schwan-Boling #SB75ar
    Block #15; Serial #1003619

100 yuan SCWPM #J133b; Schwan-Boling #SB45br
    Block #23; Serial #1028125

Just because SCWPM doesn't research pricing on replacements doesn't mean they shouldn't list a designation of 'r' (similar to the 's' for specimen notes) at the end. Example: SCWPM #J133br

At least they (PCGS) have started recognizing the Mehilba World Replacement numbering system. Mehilba should have a copy of the Schwan-Boling "World War II Remembered" reference book so these can be inserted in a China/Manchukuo listing in his book.
    UPDATED: These notes are listed, under Manchukuo, not China--Central Bank of Manchukuo as I would have thought.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    China--Central Bank of Manchukuo
    100 Yuan ND (1944) Replacement Note
    SCWPM# J138b; MWR-RD5; Schwan/Boling# 75br
    Serial #26 1016405
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • "Just because SCWPM doesn't research pricing on replacements doesn't mean they shouldn't list a designation of 'r' (similar to the 's' for specimen notes) at the end. Example: SCWPM #J133br

I disagree, as SCWPM uses "r" as a "remainder" and as a suffix for regular notes. The best way it just to place a "star" at the end of the SCWPM catalog number to denote a replacement.

"At least they have started recognizing the Mehilba World Replacement numbering system. Mehilba should have a copy of the Schwan-Boling "World War II Remembered" reference book so these can be inserted in a China/Manchukuo listing in his book.

Mehilba World Replacement book has errors in it even before he published it. I informed him that "Z?" or "ZZ" on Vietnam polymer notes were not replacements yet he still has them down as replacements. I told Mehilba to confirm with Howard Daniels which Mehliba did not. After emailing with Quoc Nguyen a US dealer who's based in Vietnam, he told me that I was correct, that they use regular blocks as replacement notes and "Z?" and "ZZ" are not replacement blocks.

I wish Owen's book, which I'm starting to like very much would use a "star" for a replacement note which simplifies the system for everyone.
    So many notes to collect. So little time to do it.
  • TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Danny, I didn't even notice the mistake on the 1 Yen. I will have them fix it at the next show I attend...

I agree that there should be some way of listing the replacements within all the books but I don't know what the best way would be. Cabletow lists some good reasons that a simple "r" might not be the best choice. To me a STAR would make sense...

Sorry to have to disagree.

But the first thing we have to realize is this is for the World community, not just the USA. We use the "star' or "asterisk" to refer to placements and that about covers us. But not the rest of the World.

Right now it is pretty commonly accepted to use the "r" after the Pick # in most areas of the World community that I am aware. I like the "r" myself for ease of communications with others around the World.

I don't like the thought of using the "star" or "asterisk" after the Pick number. There are cases where a "star" is used in a serial number and it is NOT a replacement. This would become confusing IMHO. Most Countries do not use the "star" or "asterisk" as a replacement identifier in their replacement banknotes. Most use the term replacement and the "r" is its abbreviation and fairly commonly used in my experience.

As for the Mehilba book, most know how I feel about it. Is there errors in it - yes, of course. It is the first issue. Show me another book where there are no errors in it - even after many versions. When time to go to print nears, you have to submit what you have available and ready. If you wait to correct every little thing, the book would never be printed. Not all errors are the authors either. Some come from the print production. I have seen that with a small size US currency book.

The Melhilba book was and is a massive undertaking to cover World replacement notes. It is not single Country based like USA currency books.

OK, sorry for the rambling. Getting off the orange crate now. Bye!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• I'm agreeing about the 'r' designation as a REPLACEMENT designator for World currency, anything not U.S.; remember we have the 'r' designation on our obsolete currency to signify the note is a 'remainder'. Then we have the problem of designating a World remainder note. Gets confusing.

Non U.S. based collectors must get mystified when they see a catalog number with the 'r' and wonder if it's a remainder or a replacement.

A "standard"? That would be a real achievement. And I AM NOT volunteering to be on any task force/committee, etc. so designated to find a standard.

Retired

• larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Wow those are some great numbers you got! Congrats!
    edited June 16, 2017 12:34AM
    Why didn't PCGS note those Manchukuo notes as replacements?

EDIT: After reviewing this thread I looked and I see they are listed in MWR book, under Manchukuo!
    Label should read as follows at minimum in my opinion.

China--Central Bank of Manchukuo
    100 Yuan ND (1944) Replacement Note

SCWPM# J138b; MWR-RD5; Schwan/Boling# 75br
    Serial #26 1016405

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    edited March 25, 2017 11:47PM
    Without proper attribution (listed as a replacement note) you can get lucky and steal a rare note like I did with this one. MWR (#RD2) has it at $225vg/$475unc. I believe it is worth a lot more. This is the first and only one I've seen in years of ebay searching!

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    Danny, Spectacular snag!!! image

Jim61

• techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭

Awesome indeed!

Retired

• techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭

Retired

edited March 25, 2017 11:53PM

John, did you ever get those Manchukuo replacement notes and the Japan 1 yen (not Philippines) re-holdered?

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely well worth submitting!

John & Les, is Photobucket holding your pictures hostage, they're not showing up. My pic does show up for me, maybe because it's my pic.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014