Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Replacement Coin for a Piece of History

I've always been interested in coins I think mainly because of the history so of course when I Found this like 2 years ago I jumped on it.

I bought this document on a auction site about 2 years ago. It was listed in Coins and came with a beat up 1782 1/2 Escudo. I think because it wasn't listed with having the document really no one paid attention to it. I ended up being the only bidder and got it for the melt value at that time. I took the document to an antique shop and museum and they both said they believe it was authentic. I couldn't find anyone around that could seal it up (with the size of it) so I have a custom frame built. I had it placed between two pieces of non-stick glass. I took pictures of it in the frame also with and without light for the royal water seal.

The document is from King Charles the 3rd of Spain dated 1784. It is concerning the Order of Santiago, which was an order of Spanish Knights. It has the signatures of numerous members of the order and governors at that time.

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Do you have a translation of the document?
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    actually not yet. I know it has to do with the Order of Santiago, it looks like the king has approved Don Joseph de Gregorio Marques de Vallesantona as a member of the order. I just sent close ups to a Spanish curator and documentation restoration expert who's familiar with pieces of this date from Charles 3rd. Im very interested for the translation to say the least and curious if any of the governors that signed it were of significance. I have a native Spanish speaker look at it but its old dialect so was a little difficult.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The document top reads in English:

THIRD SEAL, SIXTY EIGHT MARAVEDIS,

YEAR OF ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED EIGHTY FOUR

The document cost 68 Maravedis, which was 2 silver reales or US 25 cents.

What's a Maravedi?

Spain 8 Maravedis 1774

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Definitely the coolest thing I have seen today, by far.