Home U.S. Coin Forum

2014 Coin & Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt (FR9)

2»

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious what other people think of the bronze. It seems to be artificially antiqued. There also are some rim dings on them.

And there are plenty of die polish lines on both medals.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    My two sets might be here today.....report pending
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preliminary numbers show lackluster sales.

FR9...2014 FDR COIN & CURRENCY SET...8,074

I'm not even sure this set will sell out at 20K...
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority but I think over 8k is more than what I expected for a week of sales....not gangbusters but decent for mainly a non-coin product

Still might not sell out.....
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I love Roosies but I will pass.
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm curious what other people think of the bronze. It seems to be artificially antiqued. There also are some rim dings on them.

And there are plenty of die polish lines on both medals. >>

The Mint has a history of antiquing bronze medals for specials issue sets. The picture provided for the product also shows an antiqued example of the bronze medal. No surprises there.
    Also, rim dings should be expected for a bulk handled product. Because the medals are not struck with a reeded collar, rim hits will be more obvious.

As for the die polish lines, that has been a character of the miniature presidential bronze medals produced by the mint for years. Since the 90s though, there have been great improvements of these bronze miniature medals.

The original designs for these medals were produced for a 3'' medium. In the 1970's, the bronze miniature presidential medals introduced by Mary Brooks, had issues. I'm not exactly sure how the design for these miniature medals were recreated, but worn hubs or master dies may have been used in the reproduction process with further techniques used to reduce the relief to make the medals more "strikable". The details of these medals were weak and blurred. For these medals, the sandblasted finish was no longer used. This was the first time since about 1910(?). Sometime in the late 90's or later, the Mint added its own touch to the reverse of Sinnock's design for this miniature version. Stronger details to the design were added and the letters were made more bold. The enhancements were necessary and overdue. As far as I can tell, the obverse design was left alone.

Although I have yet to receive my 2014 not-so-miniature Roosevelt silver medal, the mint-provided pictures suggest further changes to the reverse and even changes to the obverse design. It is certain though, that this silver Roosevelt medal will be of much higher quality than the miniature bronze Roosevelt medals produced in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. Also, the antiqued version of the bronze medal should be treated as an additional variety to the series.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone found indications of "enhancement" or uniqueness otherwise on their dollar or dime in the set so far?
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    My one set has die polish also on the silver. Bronze is ok except reverse has a good nick in it. I could send it back but could get something worse in return. Don't want to deal with the return shipping and requesting the mint pay back the return shipping charges. I think most of these medals in the set will be of poor quality.

I am winding down my purchases from the mint next year. Don't even want the ultra high relief because it won't be of a classic design. The Jackie Gold Spouse maybe in an option if they don't pick one of the ugly portraits of her.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone found indications of "enhancement" or uniqueness otherwise on their dollar or dime in the set so far? >>

Both are proofs, and not reverse proofs

They must work those dollar proof dies to death. Most all had lots of frost breaks and hazing. I settled on one with few breaks, no hazing and a spot on the rim. imageimage

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arrived today!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Got mine yesterday, too. Only took two weeks to get to me. (I hate smartpost. But I think I've mentioned that. image )

I have to say, I'm underwhelmed. If you compare this set to the others (especially the TR set from last year), the materials used to make the set is sub-standard. They used a thin cardboard, where you can clearly see the stamp and coin holders that hold the capsules though the cover. The "chronicles" are stuck in the package like it was an afterthought or COA. There is no place within the set that actually holds the FDR booklet. It's very easy for the booklet to fall out of the set and get damaged.

The coins themselves look okay, and as MsMorrisine points out, the presidential bronze was uniquely finished...

My (red) bronze FDR (right) has a higher relief, but is a lot mushier. They must have created new dies for this set. (Liberty on the reverse on my bronze looks more like death... image ) The contrast of the finished bronze does make the medal look more attractive, though.

I hope the Mint improves the packaging for next years sets.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those medals look so much cheaper and less pleasing than your comparos. Thanks for sharing, I will definitely pass.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    Sales are just zoomin' along!

12/28/2014...2014 FDR COIN & CURRENCY SET........8,074...That's +8,074 over the previous week.
    1/4/2015.......2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET.... 9,430...That's +1,356 over the previous week.

(At least the mint corrected their set name error...)
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I only buy Roosies that I can lose money on and put them in my set. So far so good.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint Blog confirmed a different finish on the FDR set medal as opposed to the medals individually. Are these medals widely collected or is this just ho-mmm? Only 20k is an attractive low mintage. I like my sets including the silver medal.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    New numbers (if anyone's interested):

12/28/2014...2014 FDR COIN & CURRENCY SET.....8,074...That's a +8,074 increase over the previous week.
    1/4/2015.......2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET..9,430...That's a +1,356 increase over the previous week. (83% drop over the previous week.)
    1/11/2015.....2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET..9,824...That's a +394 increase over the previous week. (71% drop over the previous week.)

Looks like the FDR C&Ch sets went dark. Final sales (if not adjusted again), 19,154.

Date Desc Number sold Net Increase
    9/20/2015 2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET (FR9) 16,979 1,148
    9/27/2015 2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET (FR9) 17,246 267
    10/4/2015 2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET (FR9) 17,695 449
    10/18/2015 2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET (FR9) 17,966 271
    10/25/2015 2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET (FR9) 18,404 438
    11/2/2015 2014 FDR COIN & CHRONICLES SET (FR9) 19,154 750

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file