Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

You know you care too much about cards when...

Last night I go upstairs and see laundry hung all over the upstairs - bathrooms, master BR... My wife says the dryer is not working so we are doing it old school and air drying the laundry. Figure we have to get a new dryer now, and first thought that pops in my head when I check prices on dryers (around $1k) is what card could I have bought with that money versus a dryerimage We might need a new hobby!

Disclaimer - wife is awesome about the cards and for anniversary framed a baseball card poster for me of PSA cards from 1888-2014. She is a keeper.

Comments

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    That's hilarious...

Thought the same thing the other night at Capital Grill...$320 dinner tab..thought, hmmm, that could have certainly gone to my next card purchase...next time it's eat at home and 15 dollar bottle of wine.

My wife is super cool about my cards too..very cool what she did for you, that's neat. Certainly you're not going to get an 8.5 56 from her.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, do not buy a Maytag. They are garbage now. We had a washer/dryer set and the repairman had to come out three times to fix various problems. The set was only a few months old. A few weeks later I received a questionnaire in the mail from Maytag regarding the service calls. Under other comments, I put " The Maytag repairman is definitely not lonely anymore!" I got a good chuckle out of that lol
  • Options
    ...you can't locate the fire extinguisher because it's buried behind a tower of burning 5000 count boxes.

...you can't wait to get rid of a major household appliance at your yard sale for peanuts, but you haggle over the price of an '83 Topps Cal Ripken Jr. in VG condition.

...you complain to the guy at the specialty supermarket deli that your center cut bacon has rounded corners.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things I have learned in this thread:

Belz has expensive and good taste in steaks. Depending on the city I can give you some suggestions since that is one area(food) where money is no object. Chicago you have David Burke's Primehouse, Gene and Georgetti's...

Lawnmower also does appliances and keeps the Maytag man company - advice taken and we are going with an LG anyways based on ratings.

Stewie works as a volunteer fireman.

The person who PM'd me is now getting less money for unopened items in the future image. That was pretty funny though. Also, forgot to mention Jr. has a school trip to D.C. in April that has now turned into a family trip since I have been volunteered as a chaperone!! Calling that one a 66 Mantle in an 8!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat
    Things I have learned in this thread:

Belz has expensive and good taste in steaks. Depending on the city I can give you some suggestions since that is one area(food) where money is no object. Chicago you have David Burke's Primehouse, Gene and Georgetti's...

Lawnmower also does appliances and keeps the Maytag man company - advice taken and we are going with an LG anyways based on ratings.

Stewie works as a volunteer fireman.

The person who PM'd me is now getting less money for unopened items in the future image. That was pretty funny though. Also, forgot to mention Jr. has a school trip to D.C. in April that has now turned into a family trip since I have been volunteered as a chaperone!! Calling that one a 66 Mantle in an 8!

Just bought an LG refrigerator, have had for one week, so far so good. Probably could have purchased a nice PSA 8 1954 Topps Kaline instead!!
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I frequently do the math and figure out what card I am missing out on in order to pay for stuff that comes up in my daily life. My kids don't really need to play on the travel basketball team but I need a perfectly centered Eddie Murray rookie card. Somehow my wife doesn't agree.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Had the dryer problem occur to me during Memorial Day weekend this year, but found a much better solution.

Took out my screwdriver and opened it up using a copy of the dryer repair manual found on the internet. Took all of 45 minutes to find the malfunctioning parts. Searched for them on the internet and found a place 20 minutes away and open on Saturday that had what I needed. Drove over and bought the parts, reassembled the dryer and its as good as new.

Total cost: $38 plus my time, leaving me $962 to pick up a few very nice PSA 9 1971 stars to add to my set.

Dave
  • Options
    I am working on it this evening. Already took the vent cover off, cleaned out the interior, took out the screw that holds the plate in place that covers the fail safe/reset button. If it works it will take care of it for another year or so, but will probably get a new one during Black Friday.
  • Options

Played to the song "'Twas the Night Before Christmas"

Mets and Royals. Friday night. Nothing else to do. Yeaaaaaahhhhh right.

Saving money for my card habit,

told my wife to get me a screwdriver, the one with a Phillips head, yes, that one,

Now grab it.

Wrestling with the front panel, trying not to curse.

Fixing this %#$! dryer, trying to save my cash purse.

Put everything back together, looks like a tight fit.

Crossing my fingers, oh my gosh the panel light is glowing,

For more than three seconds,

it stays lit.

20 minutes later, dryer working great.

Think I just saved enough money for a 1968 Mantle in a 7.5,

Maybe an 8.

As I heard my wife screaming from upstairs with tremendous glee.

"I think with the money we saved I can buy some jewelry!"

I cradled my head, my body beginning to slump,

Until I opened my package from Newport Beach, an Aaron card, with a bump!

I heard a loud scream as I drifted to sleep.

"You buy one more Mantle, and the house and car I get to keep!" image

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Go to Lowe's and buy your appliances within the next two weeks. They have a credit special that gives you up to seven years at 5.9% interest if you use (or apply for) a Lowe's credit card. Best deal from what I have seen in awhile. When you spread the cost out over seven years you do not have to give up your card purchases! image
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Sears had a special going where you save 25-35%(or something like that) if you used a Sears card and the item was over $500.I'm not sure if the deal's over or not.
    I really like serious people.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Keith

Good stuff!

Every time Mary buys a ring or pair of shoes. I figure what I could've bought with that amount of money?

And then, I do! image
    Mike
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    I have this annoying habit at looking at how sharp the corners are of just about anything paper related. (post cards etc.)
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    KC - That song was hilarious. Nice work. That dryer has seen better days. I hope you know what you are doing. I may have tapped out by now and called someone. But I understand the math. I would rather have a 1973 Topps PSA 9 Clemente and figure out the maintenance of the dryer by myself than pay someone to do it and have no card to show for it.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    KC, well done man...you've got serious talent over there...I might pick up my guitar later and try to play ur rhymes. Very clever.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    I think it was more frustration that breed the creativity. I am trying to watch the playoff game and chill on a Friday and bless my poor wife she was up there banging on the dryer wanting to fix it. I told her earlier that I had already gone to Lowes and found a new one to order on sale, and Tim's unopened pack business would have to suffer through the holidays image

in all honesty she is better than I am at fixing stuff. Her dad could fix anything and made her learn. My dad was the same way(basically a Macgyver) who would pull stuff out of his rear and fix it. As they taking it apart is not the problem - it is outing it back together the same way and hoping you don't get it all done and then look down and ask "where did that come from?"
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    We recently had an issue with our dryer. I was all about going out and buying another, since I don't know how to fix anything, but my fiance's uncle used to work on dryers when he was younger and said that it was either the timer or door lock (both very easy fixes). It ended up being the door lock and we fixed it for $25 and in about 10 minutes.

We bought our house in 2012 and have slowly been upgrading appliances. Recently we had to buy a new refrigerator as the old one died on us. A couple weeks ago we had Lowe's cut out our cabinets and install a custom dishwasher. It's about time! Anywho, I'd recommend getting the Lowe's Credit Card. The store manager can, at any time, apply their special '18 Months No Interest' to your purchase (they'll do this for large purchases...so I wouldn't ask them to do so on a box of nails, lol) so you can spread out the big bill over 18 months. We did this for the fridge and dishwasher job image