Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mistakes made by TPG companies on the slabs.

I just got a 1877S F111 seated dime graded by NGC and NGC slabbed it as 1877 P instead of S. image

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several slabs where they got the grades wrong on the label.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have several slabs where they got the grades wrong on the label. >>

i got a few to.
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have several slabs where they got the grades wrong on the label. >>

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a HT-293 variety instead of a HT-57 which has a Phoenix rising from flames obverse instead of a building.

Not sure if the wrong token got in the wrong holder but this MS63RB betters two MS65BN's I've sold.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen many slabbed coins where the date and/or mint mark stated on the holder was wrong.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always easy to spot the outliers in any data set........
  • Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    1885-O in a 1886 holder. This has been corrected.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of several slabs NOT having the proper attribution added and had to be sent back repeatedly...I hope that I don't have to resort to that with my present submission, three of four attribution noted...one remains for three weeks now, stuck in queue.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most submission forms have a statement about the submitter checking the coins on return. Have found the grading companies usually fix the mistakes pretty quick.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several slabs where they got the grades wrong on the label.

POTD!!!image

humor aside, I think the use of the term "mechanical error" by any TPG including PCGS is rather cowardly, and I have them by most every TPG including PCGS. as a matter of fact I just received a "mechanical error" back from NGC that was submitted for the same thing. they got the catalogue number correct this time but still the wrong date, absolutely ridiculous. if a coin is clearly dated one thing and the label says another there is an obvious "human error" involved that the TPG should just accept responsibility for.

for my entire life I have been held to account for my mistakes at work.
  • Options

<< <i>I have several slabs where they got the grades wrong on the label.

POTD!!!image

humor aside, I think the use of the term "mechanical error" by any TPG including PCGS is rather cowardly, and I have them by most every TPG including PCGS. as a matter of fact I just received a "mechanical error" back from NGC that was submitted for the same thing. they got the catalogue number correct this time but still the wrong date, absolutely ridiculous. if a coin is clearly dated one thing and the label says another there is an obvious "human error" involved that the TPG should just accept responsibility for.

for my entire life I have been held to account for my mistakes at work. >>

I have to agree. The term "mechanical error" never made sense to me. Sounds like a machine malfunctioned rather than a data input error on the part of a human employee. Let's call it what it is---"human error".

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Your bound to have a few mechanical errors out of 36,000,000 submissions but those errors represent just a minuscule percentage of the total that were correct.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your bound to have a few mechanical errors out of 36,000,000 submissions but those errors represent just a minuscule percentage of the total that were correct.

you probably shouldn't cosign their BS. when someone make an input error to print the label they need to proof-read and correct their mistake. if they miss it, someone checks it after them when the are finished. it is simple --- multiple people need to pay closer attention to what they are doing.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have had it for years, keepin it this way.

imageimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a VERY nice coin,,,,,, I will offer you FULL PCGS Price Guide price for it,,,,, imageimageimage

<< <i>Have had it for years, keepin it this way.

imageimage >>

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GRANDAM, It's really not that nice, very baggy in hand and cloudy mirrors.
    Gotta be the ugliest 79S in 63 I've seen.
  • Options
    I give up. What's wrong with the 1879-S Morgan slab? image

• Options
    CAM and DCAM is the designation for proof Morgans, not business strikes. It should've been PL not CAM.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GRANDAM, It's really not that nice, very baggy in hand and cloudy mirrors.
    Gotta be the ugliest 79S in 63 I've seen. >>

----------------------------------------------------

Good photo anyway,,,,, image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>CAM and DCAM is the designation for proof Morgans, not business strikes. It should've been PL not CAM. >>

Thanks. Are you sure it's not a rare branch mint proof?image

• Options
    <<Thanks. Are you sure it's not a rare branch mint proof?>>

I wish I was that lucky, the rims aren't square enough, it's undoubtedly a business struck Morgan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file