Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

100 rolls of 1981 Lincoln cents

I have a relative that purchased a $50 bag of Lincoln cents in 1981. He placed them in the closet that day and just found them again this week. He's asking what to do a 100 rolls. We're on the east coast, so I assume they're 'P' mints. I know it's the last year before copper/zinc. I see high values in high MS grades. Do they really get these prices for MS67 and up? I know nothing about moderns. Is it worth going through them and picking out high grades for slabbing? Are the odds against me? Better to sell by roll? I haven't seen them yet. Not sure if they're in bank rolls or rolls from the mint. Thanks for any advice!
Norm

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a tougher date for Gems because of bad surfaces in mint sets and marking on roll coins.

It's unlikely there will even be any MS-66 in the bag but it's worth a quick look to see if there
    are any nice die runs. Bags of pennies can be all over the spectrum from all junk to a mixture
    of gemmy to junk to almost all Gems.

My guess is they'll bring the best price by the bag or in rolls. Otherwise they tend to be worth
    less than shipping costs. The "P" wholesales at 90c per roll and the "D" @ 60c.

It will probably cost $30 to ship.

If there are nice coins then it can be a bonanza.

Good Luck.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a LINK to PCGS prices realized. High grades look worth searching the bag carefully with out jostling to preserve the surfaces. Picking out the best while wearing cotton gloves. Daunting and tedious but your efforts could pay off. While you're at it you could make rolls in plastic holders for sale too. Could be a fun family evening if you and they are so inclined.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    search them yourself then dump them into a coin counter

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, an ANACS MS62 Brown went for $6.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Thanks for your replies. I still have this bag. The owner, my father-in-law, passed away on July 4th. They're mine now. I went to the local B&M and got the same info. 90 cents per roll, but he couldn't offer that. Owner wasn't really interested. Many people suggested Coinstar to just dump them. But, I'll go through them.

I opened one roll last night. Yeah, there were many coins with spots and little nicks. However, there were some that looked pretty nice. Problem is, I know nothing about Lincoln cents or moderns. I went to Heritage archives and pulled up PCGS slabbed MS67 coins. Enlarged the images. I see tiny nicks on some of these as well. Some in the roll I opened looked as nice.

So, I'm going to go through a few more rolls. Pull out the best. Take some pictures and post on this forum. I'll have to ask for help and suggestions from there.

Thanks in advance!

Norm
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Enlarged the images. I see tiny nicks on some of these as well. Some in the roll I opened looked as nice.
    Norm >>

it takes a trained eye to recognize the difference between nicks from coins contacting each other and "nicks" that come from less than pristine die surfaces.

you can see these "marks" on the high-point areas of walkers, lincolns and more and i mean on 66 and higher grades.

on 66 and above, you will need a few factors to be considered and not the least is that if you miss, you are most likely buried financially.

if you have the cash, experience and quality coins, bulk-submissions (100 coins @ $8-10 each? for grading fees) are a saving grace if you know what you're doing. costly but saving simultaneously.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to Heritage archives and pulled up PCGS slabbed MS67 coins. Enlarged the images. I see tiny nicks on some of these as well. Some in the roll I opened looked as nice.

So, I'm going to go through a few more rolls. Pull out the best. Take some pictures and post on this forum. I'll have to ask for help and suggestions from there.

You're doing it right. Get a X5 lens and it will help. Look for eye appeal and then start looking for the ones with the least number of hits.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    RUN, RUN very fast and you won't be disappointed otherwise time wasted.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save your eyesight. Just take then to the bank and cash them in. Unless you are a real grading expert you are likely to waste a lot of time and money trying to get high grade slabbed examples from what you find in a mint bag.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1981 was a good year … for Susan B Anthony dollars. Just can't think of any other coins that stand out that year.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Save your eyesight. Just take then to the bank and cash them in. Unless you are a real grading expert you are likely to waste a lot of time and money trying to get high grade slabbed examples from what you find in a mint bag. >>

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ They are probably spotted and ugly by now. Don't waste your time.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...they sound like great candidates for a newbie giveaway...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '81-P's aren't too bad for strikes but check the memorial on the back and see if all the steps are there.

On bad strikes the steps will be flat or mushy. If between 10 and 15% of the coins (or more) don't have
    a good strike then it might be a waste of time to check. I can spot check a bag in just a few minutes to
    tell if there are any Gems.

With this date your odds aren't good but they are there.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A $50 bag of pennies 34 years ago, now worth just about $50

Imagine if the relative had put the $50 into something like a stock mutual fund.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1,058.00 for a PCGS MS66? Ah, jeez. . . I then click to confirm and see that particular coin was a minting error (struck on a dime...).

peacockcoins

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1,058.00 for a PCGS MS66? Ah, jeez. . . I then click to confirm and see that particular coin was a minting error (struck on a dime…). >>

Problem: this generation thinks the government might seize it, like it's unlawful.

• Options
    Thanks again for the replies and suggestions. I have some health issues, so this has been a slow process. I put on some gloves and a mask last night. Only went through three rolls. Many coins have spots. The spots are flat and dull looking. Appear greyish in color. Some of the coins look great. I set them aside and later took a look with a 16x loupe. Saw some tiny chunks of green in a few places. I assume it's verdigris. Will continue looking.

I will take some close-up pictures soon. Thanks again for the assistance.

Norm

• Options

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you did happen to find a truly nice one, you never get the grade. It would literally have to be 1 grade higher for you a small submitter to get it

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My eyes hurt just thinking about looking at all those coins. Pack them back up and let them sit another 50 yrs.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't envy you. You are in for a lot of work and possibly a lot of wasted money for grading.

If you are lucky to find an MS66RD it might be worth $20. But you'll spend more than that on grading fees and shipping.

Of the 500+ 1981 Lincolns PCGS has graded -- each, no doubt, from owners with high hopes of 67 or better because anything less is a money loser -- only 10% are graded higher than MS66RD.

Save your eyes for better endeavors.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file