• Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    White, I think.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    looks like a white back to me
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys. That is what I thought, wasn't bright enough to say for sure, but not dark enough for grey either.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Most definitely, 100% without a doubt, a GRAY back card. The picture is just a bit too juiced bright.
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most definitely, 100% without a doubt, a GRAY back card. The picture is just a bit too juiced bright. >>

Now I don't know what to do. I just sold the card on ebay and he asked if card was white or gray and I told him white. Turns out he only needs to white version.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    find a common above card 100, you'll know instantly

it's possible KB is right that it's a gray back if the lighting is "juiced" for the picture, my first instinct was white back but on second look I'm not really sure

usually the white backs have kind of a smoother surface than the gray backs, but again compare against any other common gray back and you'll know immediately

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see KbKards ever be wrong on a thread like this. Just an FYI.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Both of these are on ebay now, offered by Levi Bleam at 707 Sportscards. He has the top one as a white back. No one knows more about Mantle cards than Levi in my view. But you can also see several graded versions of both white and gray backs on ebay now. I myself have a hard time telling from scans. Need the cards in hand

Here is a 707 gray back Mays on ebay now

and a grade Mays white back

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    This is your 1956 Mays on Ebay

This is a 1957 Mays you recently sold

If you look at the enlarged scans of the backs of both cards they are brighter and more vibrant than how you normally see back scans show up. It's making the paper stock on both of them look whiter than it actually is in hand. In hand, if you compare the back of your 1956 Mays to any other card from 1956 numbered from 181 to 340, or any 1957 card, it's clearly going to be gray.